Model Cars Magazine Forum

So while searching the land of eBay, I came upon this already built LUV. While "built" i could tell it would be a great one that I wouldn't feel terrible about tearing apart.

Attached are 2 pics from a current eBay auction for an open box kit of the Monogram Chevy LUV Stepsider kit.

Here's the pics of mine as i received it and the direction I'm going with it. I would luv (LOL) to score a fleetside bed however.

I've since stripped the paint and pulled the glass along with detached the rear fenders as well.

Out of the box. left front suspension set back in place. boy this thing is high

IMG_20121123_161314.jpg

wheel change to 14 inch steelies, front down a bit.

IMG_20121125_170733.jpg

Disassembled from chassis. how it will sit on the rollers

IMG_20121125_165249.jpg

IMG_20121125_165316.jpg

post-10612-0-03378100-1353934076_thumb.j

post-10612-0-87173000-1353934077_thumb.j

Edited by relaxednoma

hopefully lol!

going to be a simple chassis build and nothing crazy detailed. Just a fun "lay it out" project.

I also have an LS2 that will be the powerplant.

Von or "loasian" of Negative Camber (runs Loadies Customs in Iowa) and his Scout is the immediate inspiration for this build.

Inspiration:

582153_10151653861880277_765733241_n.jpg

563878_3937087062919_189208650_n.jpg

The old luvs stouts hiluxes and all those look cool as heck on the ground. I started to buy a green 76 hilux once and didnt. I kick myself over that one now and again. Keep this project rollin' as much as ya can!

Edited by Skydime

I've always liked the look of the Stout . It looks like a Studebaker , a classic design in and of its self .

The LUV ( Light Utility Vehicle ) is one of my faves from my childhood ; lots of them around in the 70's / early 80's . There was more than one in town with a Buick 215 V8 under its bonnet ; Buick V6 swaps were common as well .

RelaxedNoma : Monogram also had a fleetside LUV in its lineup : the Tom Daniel Mojave Mule . It's moulded in yellow , has a Chevy 327 , is 4-wheel-drive , etc. , etc. They show-up on eBay from time-to-time and are usually reasonably priced .

Man I love your projects. The slammed Cameo, doored s10, and now the luv layed out on its rocker. I have to say I've never seen the luv as a step side and I'm luvin it. Don't go fleetside, looks so good and different slammed down with the step side. I really have to get my hands on a truck to lay out. Can't wait to see this on come together, don't forget to leave that heart decal on the rocker..haha.

Thanks!

Please note that the vette LS motor is from a kit I got from eBay, I did not assemble it! lol

There was a fleetside bodied on TT2's thats floated around SSM (streetsourcemag.com) and the interwebz for awhile, but thats one of the few I've ever seen. A buddy of mine whom was in Ohio, now in Bowling Green has redone his a few times and is now on his 3rd and final version.

Here's a pic of his 1:1 for fun

398929_10100515576742362_1693120300_n.jp

Edited by relaxednoma

Fun project. I have all the mini pickup kits and hope to have fun with them someday! I don't believe any of them LUV or Courier came with stepside beds. I don't know where these kits came from! The LUV is actually an Isuzu pickup. The Courier was a Mazda.

Back in the day I was working for a large homebuilder. I bought a fleet of Ford Couriers for our home service guys. I used to borrow them for personal tasks like moving. They drove nice and were trouble free. All were still in service when I left the company.

Wow! That thing has some clean work. The frame welds look amazingly solid even though I know they have to be ground and smoothed. But I'd be scared to death to drive one with that much bodywork without a solid structure in the bed. Is this thing trailered or a daily dragger?

I never liked that green one when it was white with the ugly scallops and black rims but its lookin a lot better laid out with the chrome rims.

Grant Kustoms is the sh*t. They do some of the cleanest metal work and that is one clean luv.

This one has always been one of my favorites, not sure whatever happened to it.

3446f5372dc76bb1b6a37e6ce18a4d9d.jpg71279ff610df0db690c5b9f840450ad3.jpg

I always wanted to do this with the fender wells in my motor compartment.

35a7221660666a1fcdcccc26ef402070.jpg

Edited by JasonFL