Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Saw a sharp blue w/ white stripe '70-71 Trans Am and a very clean silver blue '79-82 Mustang hatchback (not a Cobra or GT, looked like a base model). Also saw a dark red Nissan Murano CC (the relatively rear crossover cabrio) and two of the new small Nissan NV 200 vans (soon to be the Chevy City Express)--one in white w/ a business livery and rear door windows, and one in dark red w/ no graphics and no rear door windows.

Edited by Rob Hall

I can't believe that in a metro area of 9 million people, I saw a Tesla on the road for the first time only the other day.

Or at least, it's the first one that I saw and actually recognized. I may have seen others but they didn't register... they look like many other luxury cars at a glance.

Surprising...I've been seeing them since they first came out, at least 1-2 per week or more. I see Tesla roadsters once in a while, got to look closely though because they look a lot like the Lotus Elise (which is pretty uncommon).

Over the weekend, I saw the most expensive Mustang that I've ever seen.

I talked to the owner, who was as cool and friendly as could be. He gave me a brief run down on his car.

A 2013, built to race. I'm not sure that there wasn't anything on that car that wasn't customized or replaced with some super-duper high end racing component. Said that he was at 580 HP at the rear wheels, and over 700 on the engine.

I'd say that he had at least $100,000 in that car, at minimum. I don't know a thing about late model drag cars, but this was the nicest street legal drag car that I've ever seen.

Traveling up I-75 last Saturday near Great Lakes Crossing mall(you fellow southeast Michigan guys know where that is) I passed two Dodge Challengers with manufacturers plates.They were obviously factory pre production 2015 cars.Took me a moment to see how they were different from a 2014 version-the front grille is reminiscient of a 1971 Challenger grille instead of the current 1970 style grille.The taillights may also have been different but I'm not 100% certain.

Today I saw a very nice '67 AMC Rebel convertible sitting at a local Target. The top was down and the car was pretty well optioned. At least it had the factory 8-track and the dealer installed AMC under dash tissue dispenser. Not a prefect car. But, it looked pretty darn good. As I was pulling out of Target, a mid to late 70's Checker passed by. Two-tone, black and silver. It had a vinyl roof and an opera window of all things! A little on the ruff side. But, cool non the less.

Scott

Today I saw a very nice '67 AMC Rebel convertible sitting at a local Target. The top was down and the car was pretty well optioned. At least it had the factory 8-track and the dealer installed AMC under dash tissue dispenser.

I don't think I'd park that car in a public lot and leave it unattended... not these days.

Just getting home from work and one of these passed me by...............(pic courtesy of Google)

1990-Chrysler_Maserati-TC_by_Maserati_-1
1990-Chrysler_Maserati-TC_by_Maserati_-1

The one I had seen had a darker soft top and at first glance I thought it was a Chrysler LeBaron. When I saw the rear end, it was indeed a Chrysler TC by Maserati. This was Chrysler's ill fated attempt at a personal "sports car", but its downfall was that it looked too much like the LeBaron (which had debuted for 1987), and this one was two years late to the party. Nevermind the fact that the LeBaron cost THOUSANDS less than the TC, and was obviously far more popular.

It was nice to see one of these running, as it's been literally YEARS since I've seen one outside of a magazine on the road.

Edited by MrObsessive

I really wish I had my camera with me today because as I was driving into "town" I was passed by what appeared to be some early 50s Pontiac big station wagon thing that I swear had some kind of wood paneling on the sides. looked like it was being driven away from the barn it sat in for 20 years. that's just an everyday occurrence around here, and we aren't even talking about 50 year old Mercedes shooting brakes sitting under haystacks where the farmer parked it and left it 20 years ago when it overheated from mice nests in the engine compartment.

jb

There are a couple TCs around here I see once in a while..a red one and a yellow one like that picture...funny thing is I've seen the yellow broken down twice on the side of two different freeways...(could have been two different cars, but what's the odds?). Haven't seen a Reatta in ages.

My favorite semi-obscure '90s GM cars that I see once in a while are the last generation Riviera and the first gen Olds Aurora..great looking cars, IMO...

Edited by Rob Hall

There are a couple TCs around here I see once in a while..a red one and a yellow one like that picture...funny thing is I've seen the yellow broken down twice on the side of two different freeways...(could have been two different cars, but what's the odds?)

Very slim!!

Oh! One more car from that era that was parked at a local bar just a block from me..............one of these!

ebay47265.jpg

There was an elderly man getting into it--------if he was just getting out, I might have pulled over and got a pic as it was literally a block away from my house. Like the TC and Reatta, you just NEVER see these anymore on the road.

At least around here I don't!

I don't think I'd park that car in a public lot and leave it unattended... not these days.

Even had a tape in the 8-track tape player. This Target is not in a terribly bad part of town. I glad to see that this person felt that people around here are trustworthy enough to leave an open convertible in parking lot like that. Isn't that the way it should be?

Scott

Even had a tape in the 8-track tape player. This Target is not in a terribly bad part of town. I glad to see that this person felt that people around here are trustworthy enough to leave an open convertible in parking lot like that. Isn't that the way it should be?

Scott

It is. But unfortunately these days that's not the case. I don't think I'd ever leave that car unattended like that. Maybe things are different in the Twin Cities, but around here that wouldn't be too smart, even in a "good" neighborhood... as you never know who might come passing by.

if you have owned a convertible for any length of time you come to realize two universal truths:

1. convertibles are NOT cool...at least not temperature wise. ask yourself: if you would rather sit in the shade or the direct sunlight? well put the top down on a 80+ F day and you are going to be roasting even if you are moving.

2. there is no such thing as "security" with a convertible. if you put the top up and lock the doors, someone will slice your top, costing an additional 1000$+. even IF your doors are unlocked but your windows rolled up, some azzhat is still likely to slit your top to get inside instead of just trying the doors. the only way to live with a convertible is to leave it with the top and windows down and leave nothing inside worthy of the effort to steal (8 track tape decks an exception).

a convertible is like a Rolex watch: if you got one it shows you are rich enough to lose it and not really care. all others stick to Timex and four door sedans. life is too short to worry about mere material goods...they come and go, just like that leather interior that fell apart after being left out under the oak trees for a season.

take it from a life long convertible owner.