Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King 1971 Thunderbird

pettiner

Model King reissue, Krylon paint Laquer clear. Much foil. A pretty simple kit but builds up pretty nice. Promo style chassis. Does have a complete engine. The body has some sink marks on trunk and hood but fixable (I didn't). Interior is one piece tub, molded in sides, one piece front seat, back seat molded in, dash and steering wheel. Decals for gauges and some wood trim. one piece glass. Nice engine. the rear suspension and exhaust and drive shaft all one piece. The front and rear facsia (under the grill and Rear bumper) mold to chassis. Screw on chassis. seperate tail light. Two sets of wheels stock and mags. Metal axles. One set of tires. Huge decal sheet Race car numbers pinstriping for custom many others including body trim pieces. Overall it builds into a nice model and looks right to me. A big car.

modelsAug2007012.jpg

modelsAug2007011.jpg

modelsAug2007010.jpg

• 7 years later...

I too am happy to see this

I have a couple Model-King issue, but can alway use another

I Might even do what I did to a Motor City 70.

Make a 4dr sedan!!!!

Former car club member had one and I duplicated it for him.

Wish I knew where either the car or model were now!!!!

My uncle had a white on Black '70 Landau with a black leather interior, which was a pretty nice car. I built one of the original '71 kits in Testor's candy Transparent green back in the day. AT the time, I did not realize that the paint needed an undercoat for maximum effect, so of course it looked crappy. About 22 years ago, I bought an unbuilt '70 "Motor City Stocker" version, and it was truly expensive. I never built it, and I still have it, as I was able to score an aborted project for a fraction of what I paid for that one. one of the modelers on the Hobby Heaven site was doing a '71 Town Landau build, and about the time Model King brought out the reissued '71, I picked one up for the same project. I had a derelict glue-bombed '67 that donated its roof and trunk lid to the project.

2007_0915momameetingoct20070012.jpg

This is where I was on the '70 Motor CIty Stocker.

2007_0915momameetingoct20070015.jpg

I have since changed the wheels and tires to the Replica Stock Wheel Covers, mounted on Good Year Polyglas Whitewalls. I have not decided on the color, but I am leaning towards Burgundy Fire, with Burgundy Hopsack Interior combination, and a coordinating Vinyl Roof.

The AMT 1967-1969 and AMT 1970-1971 Thunderbird kits are totally different. The level of detail is lower on the '70-71s because it really was designed as a promo only (added and engine deleted engine plate). Similar to the '71-73 Mustangs and Pintos.

Is there really a difference between a '70 and '71 AMT Thunderbird?

The AMT 1967-1969 and AMT 1970-1971 Thunderbird kits are totally different. The level of detail is lower on the '70-71s because it really was designed as a promo only (added and engine deleted engine plate). Similar to the '71-73 Mustangs and Pintos.

Is there really a difference between a '70 and '71 AMT Thunderbird?

The '70 kit was only released as a "Motor City Stocker" which had no engine or optional parts like the '71 kit did. I don't have a '70 to check, but think there may have been a difference in the front turn signals between the two years.

• 2 months later...

I was referring to the kits. It seemed like AMT Torinos and TBirds were the same in 70-71, just different boxes. Not sure if AMT bothered to modify the tool.

The Torinos differ slightly: '70 had the "Cobra" lettering on the front fender, '71 had it on the quarter panel.  '71 grille bar also has a small snake emblem in the center, '70 does not.

Awesome to see this kit come back.  I also have the Model King version.  It's an old school tool, but it has a decent body, and with a little attention to detail, it builds into a nice looking car. I had one on the shelf for the longest time.  It was a quick build, with most of the focus being on the paint and foil.  It stayed on the front row of the middle shelf for years because it just looked cool.  I ended up giving it to somebody who had owned a real one.   It is a fun kit, and a bit of nostalgia.

It would be a riot to see that box art and decal set, though.  Honestly, it looks like a cat threw up after eating the NBC Peacock! :P  But that's how we rolled in those wacky Seventies.  (If you think the decals are garish, you should have seen the hairstyles!)

I'm surprised to see it back. It didn't do so well the last time.  No matter how we all promise the model companies we'll eat up any old kits they find,  Model King had a tough time getting rid of them all! Note that the original thread here in 2007 only got one reply.  Same with the 1970 Buicks they ran,  big old land yachts  sell in limited numbers. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

I'd love to have a '68 4 door (suicide rear doors!) model. I had one given to me when I was younger, and it had been sitting for many years and mice chewed thru the tires. it was purple with a black top and black interior and had a 429 under the hood. Only thing I ended up w/ was the 429 :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to have a '68 4 door (suicide rear doors!) model. I had one given to me when I was younger, and it had been sitting for many years and mice chewed thru the tires. it was purple with a black top and black interior and had a 429 under the hood. Only thing I ended up w/ was the 429 :(

Modelhaus does a 4-door 67, which would require little to change to a 68. Dump the one year only signals below the front bumper, couple other fiddles, and you're there. Not cheap, but worth every nickel, and won't be available a whole lot longer.  

Ron and Dennis, those are great builds. The Landau has been a wish for a long time, and I have donor parts from a 67-69 for an attempt. 

The restomod is evil, my plan was along the line of a restomod Landau. Sweet. 

Edited by keyser

Came close to buying the new Bird of Paradise version yesterday at a local hobby store. Built one of the Model King versions a few years back. I'm having time convincing my self that I another. But, I love these Thunderbirds. Maybe I need to look at a 4-door conversion kit from Model Haus? Anybody have any photos of this kit? Both built and unbuilt?

It's so cool they're releasing this kit again. I hope it comes with the bird of paradise decals. I built (ruined) this kit when I was a kid because the decals had to be cut from the paper and up to that point i had only built a few kits where the decals where separate on the paper. I seem to remember just laying the whole decal over the car.