Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan Pro Street Rambler kit question

USAC_1957

Hi all,

I picked up a Johan Rambler Pro Street kit over the weekend. I was under the impression that the kit was based on an AMC musclecar from the late 60s I seem to remember a white car with red and blue striping.

My question is how much effort would it take to convert this back to the musclecar version? Are decals available?

TIA,

The kit is a stock Rambler. There is nothing done to it to make it a "Pro Street" other then the art work on the box.
The muscle car you are thinking of is the SCRambler. It was painted in a red,white and blue theme.
Here are a few links...
http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/MyGarage2...ramblerHome.htm

Mark@MAS
www.mas-parts.com

Got to ride in one of those years ago. A friend's dad had one tucked away in the garage. He had bought it new and never let it go. So one sunday morning, his dad said...

"let's take the rambler to church!"

Being the Mopar fanatic that I was(and still am, although I was a sucker for the black javelin that lived down the road) I kind of chuckled when I saw the car. We got in and sat in the backseat. Dad and his daughter sat in front. On the way to church dad impressed me with a few launches and some decent chirping into second gear. What really blew my mind was when he turned to his daughter and said...

"You wanna try?"

She jumped right in and laid down some rubber both at launch and when she broke the rear loose speedshifting into second.

My opinion of AMC changed from that day forward.

Got my copy of the Johan kit socked away in the closet. Got it during a half off sale at the local Hobby Lobby. I just wish I had bought more. I was a kind soul and left a few for other to enjoy... most likely, they ended up on Ebay :)

• 12 years later...
On 10/30/2006 at 1:02 PM, astroracer said:

The kit is a stock Rambler. There is nothing done to it to make it a "Pro Street" other then the art work on the box.

QFT. I guess I can't blame JO-HAN/SeVille Enterprises for trying to inject some new life into the only kits they had left to work with. While the former Pro Stock AMX had at least a chance of being semi-believable as a Pro Street car, the '69 SC/Rambler did not, but I'm sure someone, somewhere out thought it was awesome:

JoHanSCRambler.jpg

JoHanSCR1.jpg

JoHanSCR2.jpg

WP_20161129_002.jpg

WP_20161129_004.jpg

WP_20161129_006.jpg

WP_20161129_007.jpgWP_20161129_005.jpg

Edited by Casey

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

...but I'm sure someone, somewhere out thought it was awesome:

Boy, I wish I could buy two or three or four more of them at today's retail prices. Last year at the local toy show I bought a box of Rambler Project, which had parts from two of them in it. Between them there's just about enough "stuff" to build one street cruiser of some kind (not sure I can get it all the way back to stock), and maybe enough of the bones of the other to do a '60s-style custom. We'll see what happens. 

66Ramblers01.jpg.830692e5c9a9a1eff59ddb84d888e743.jpg

66Ramblers04.jpg.df652cd672f34535cf1c2b9af632929f.jpg

I have a box I'll have to dig out now that my curiosity is up...  I have a '66 Rambler convertible promo that I had cut open the hood, and was working this chassis under it.  I think the project was over my head some 30 years ago when I started, but should be an easy build for me today!  Now where could that box have run off to...

• 1 month later...

I'm sitting here looking at one on the shelf in a case that I built back when the kit was first released.

The first model I ever tried two tone paint on!

I didn't put the decals on for something like 10 years after building it and they were coming apart so had to touch them up with as close match paint as I could mix.

I remember building a Rambler kit before that one with an open trunk and it had luggage for the trunk.

Was that the 66 Rambler maybe?:huh:

2 hours ago, thatz4u said:

Mine became the Ram-BLUR

blur1.jpg.e978ad74748c75525defd3c9dea64e79[1].jpg

Sweet! That's not far off from what I have planned for the glue bomb I picked up last year (see above). You're making me want to move it to the top of the To-Do list! B)

On a related note, not too long ago I read where someone said that Rambler should have put the Marlin fastback top on the American body instead of on the Classic, it would have been a much better looking car. Got me thinking. If I had a real roached, glue-bomb grade Marlin body, I'd give it a try. (I have a Marlin kit, but am not gonna chop it up.) 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

AMC did just that, creating the Tarpon:

1964-AMC-Rambler-Tarpon.jpg

https://www.marlinautoclub.com/create/Tarpon_Concept_Car.htm

Maybe that's what I read...that they did it. Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen it before, thanks!

It looks better than the Marlin, but that might be just because the rear wheel openings are larger. It looks at least as good as those weird fastback 1st Gen Chevy IIs--no, it definitely looks better. 

Not a fan of the quarter window shape, but I think I could do better. :unsure:

Okay, who has a roached glue-bomb Marlin body they want to send me to build one? :huh::lol:

Hi I have 3 of those kits what you have is the complete kit to build the SC all you have to do is go to Keith Mark's decals I have used his decals for 15 years he has both sets the one with the sides all red and the second one with just the thin red strip and the bigger blue one.

This is a pretty nice kit, except for the plastic axles and the huge hole through the engine block with what looks like CV joints on the block sides.  I also have one in work, a dual-quad BBC Street/Gasser.  I need to rework the front axle, too much nosebleed as it is now.

SCRambler 014.jpg

SCrambler 036.JPG

SCRambler 041.JPG