Model Cars Magazine Forum

best OOB detail Mark Iv supra (92-2002)?

The Tamiya Supra is by far the best of the bunch. It's stock but it is a full detail kit with an engine. Be careful with other Tamiya Supras as I believe that only the stock version has an engine. The AMT kits aren't bad and have custom parts and body kits, they build up well but are typical AMT kits so they have their issues. Be very wary of Aoshima Supra kits, I bought one that had a Veilside Combat body kit from Japan but when it got here it was a reboxed AMT that I paid $40 for.

Here is the box to look for:

!B8khOmw!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!jQEzL!vJu2oBM3,dlWp2!~~0_12.JPG

Mark, I've got to agree on the AMT Supra, I built one of the F&F ones years ago. It came out well enough, but the ride height could have been lowered a bit (My fault, I didn't lower it), the body doesn't sit down over the chassis well, the hood sticks up a bit, and the targa top doesn't fit well at all. The interior detail is sparse, the engine is so-so, but the decals were really nice! With a bit of massaging it could look really nice, but if you have the choice of either AMT or Tamiya, you'd be much happier with the Tamiya for sure!

Supra0004-vi.jpg