Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghia/Porsche

ScrappyJ

Thanks, Gents!!! I really appreciate the kind words!

I can't find one of the resin plugs I used to make e tires, but I do have one of another tire I did. In the pictures, you will see what seems to be a plug and that is pretty much what it is. I basically machined a plug so that I could slide the tire onto, then once I pulled the resin out, it gave me material to clamp in the three-jaw chuck, in the lathe. Despite my best efforts to have the tire on the plug and trued, it still wobbled once I took it out of the mold. What I didn't realize until later, is that I could chuck in with the tire in the chuck, true the plug part and then reverse it back to machine it. The other thing I realized is that the tires aren't perfectly round either, so once you have the pieces to glue and piece the tire back together for the master, I couldn't get it exactly now I wanted it (good enough for gov't work, though):

photo53-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

Here are pictures of e upper and lower control/A-arms mounted:

20130820007-vi.jpg

20130819005-vi.jpg

The aluminum tube in the last picture is to set the proper distance between the arm attachment points. Then a pin is slid through the two brass pieces, as well as the aluminum piece and should be pretty straight and makes soldering a little easier.

The way it was supposed to sit:

20130820019-vi.jpg

Thanks for the continued kind and encouraging words, Gents!

I did get the front spindles and the rear axle housing done. Unfortunately, I think I have to redo the driver's side front spindle as it is a little off and the car is like a trike right now (but hey, at least I don't have zooming muffles jacking my car up). I thought I would have some good time to work this weekend (it being a 3-day weekend and all), but there is a mustang show in town and one of my friends from STT wants to go. For most that know me, I am more of a bow-tie guy and not a huge fan of the blue oval.

photo41-vi.jpg

photo33-vi.jpg

photo42-vi.jpg

photo38-vi.jpg

photo47-vi.jpg[

Sitting on all fours:

photo43-vi.jpg

This will likely be it in term of the quantity of updates for a while.

Edited by ScrappyJ

Geeeez........ This is killer!!!!!!! Today's kids talk about "stance". Here's the definition. This sucker sits "just right".

Absolutely amazing build. The chassis work is inspiring. Once big-car season winds down I'll start small-car season. And I'm taking notes on you guys building brass chassis'. I have a rather homely Lancer that's going big-time because of you craftsmen.

Please, carry on!