Model Cars Magazine Forum

making first diorama.

captin

i wanna go for the grease and oil stains and some small cracks. i saw this diorama on line that i liked the floor of some something like that is what im going for.

That's fairly easy.

1. If you want the block look, score the board first to simulate the sections of floor.

2. Paint the board with water-based flat gray paint. Oil-based paints may damage the foam-core.

3. Using dry-brushing, brush on varying shades of gray, black , brown/rust and other colors. The idea is to slightly discolor the board, not completely coat it.

Charlie Larkin

O K , to do grease stains , generally, I'll use a combination of both a Semi Gloss acrylic Black and Flat black . The best looking color to me that represents concrete is from Michaels art stores . Go to the water based paints and get the El Cheap-o Color Smart brand . They have a color called Suede . You'll have to put a few coats as this paint isn't very opaque . Still, you can achieve some really good results out of this paint . To do some cracks in a piece of Foam core , take a pencil and literally draw jagged lines using a VERY DULL POINT . Then coat the board with the suede paint , swab some Burn't Umber , ( A Dark Brown ) into the cracks and wipe up the excess as fast as ya can .

I included some old dioramas I've done over the years all depicting different gas stations . Maybe one of the shots will help explain ............

post-3159-0-54993700-1381963623_thumb.jp

post-3159-0-03481200-1381963642_thumb.jp

post-3159-0-15760400-1381963671_thumb.jp

thanks for all the help guys... here is my first sample its on cardboard and i put some plaster over top the cardboard. then i mixed a tan and a gray acrylic paint and got a good concrete color. i didn't allow the plaster to dry long enough so the lines are a little sloppy but im going to do some more samples to see what i like best. once again thanks for all the advise let me no what you think of the first concrete sample.

post-10375-0-62720400-1382060700_thumb.j

little sample of a brick wall im trying out. cutting the groves in the brick is tough its not that clean so im gonna work a little on that before i start the real wall.And was wondering does anyone no an easy way of taking off that paper backing on the foam boards mine keeps on tearing.

post-10375-0-38983300-1382237545_thumb.j