Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Ventura Kustum

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

Hi Im Jimmy and new to this board. I searched and found it from some stuff said at the scaletruckers board.

I got this out of my dad’s collecton ‘cuz usually he lets me make what I want from it. But this time I think he was mad ‘cuz it might be a rare modle but its not like its really wanted like a Chevy Nova. But I did good on it, no runs or hair in the Testers paint or anything but I used the detail-mister polish clothes to really make shiny. It really shines a lot more than it looks here. I made it with the factory custom option, maybe it a Canadian version ‘cuz I never saw a real one down her like this. I fully wired the engine and super detailed the bottom, painted all the bolts and evrything. And I detailed painted the engine bay to. I even made the SHAKER HOODSCOOP part fit right (tougher that you think) and put the big tires option on it. I made the window chrome with a sharpy pen.

DSC08627.jpg

DSC08625.jpg

DSC08628.jpg

DSC08629.jpg

DSC08626.jpg

what's "K"ustom about this, the 4wheel steering? Sorry but I don't get it.

Also hate to be a whiner, but if we all have to stay away from swearing and hiding swear words with letter switching and symbols....then I think you need to change your user name.

Otherwise, welcome to MCM!

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

Thank you guyz! Maybe dad wuz rite and it is rare.

I di’nt know I was swearing, I was not triing to hide or swear and I didn’t swich anything, I am using the same name arn’t I? I don’t want to change it, it is my email name and if it wuz cussing I don’t think it would have let me pick it. But i will try not to call my Kustums Kustums hear unless they are Kustum.

Just curious...what makes you say that? I have no dog in this hunt, but I don't see anything fishy...maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Wonder if it's just from him saying that he took it from his dad's collection, in that Dave thinks his dad built this and had it in his collection?

two very cool builds B)

i don't think YOU built them to be honest. if these were built by your father nothing wrong with that, but don't post them and say that you are the one who built them.

Dave

could i just point out that at 27 years of age i too have a father

dont jump to the conclusion that because the model came out of his dads stash and his english is less then perfect he is a 7 year old who just started

:lol:

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

The title said for finishd models and they was already done. Hey Im going to be 17 next month and I will try harder too slow down and wright better. I geuss the excietment of finding model car forums got to me.

And as far the dirt I build and display them in our garage so thay get dirty. How do you get the dirt out of the interior on youre models? And my dad did not make them I DID!

Edited by madazzskilzkustumz

I don't doubt for a second that you built this model. And I like it. One thing to improve is stance and wheel alignment. Also, the tyres could be mounted a bit more carefully. Always keep in mind, that stance, wheels and tyres are what make a model plausible - actually not unlike a real car.

As for cleaning models - I wash them, believe it or not. I wash each and every model before it goes into my display cabinet.

Nice work and I just found out about the Ventura kit a few days ago in the "show me your older kits" thread. one of the guys has on if you want to see the original box. I agree that you should fix the ways the tires and wheels line up. Other than that, Its a beautiful car and I love all those bodies, Pontiac, Nova,Omega and Skylark.

Bob, look no further than your own instructions site for the reason it's a custom, (no matter how it's spelled):

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/mpc/mpc77pontiacventura7703/

The shaker scoop, custom front bumper/lower grille, & other parts constitute custom options for that annual 3/1 kit from that era, I remember it very well! ;)

;)

hehe yeah I know Mark, but I never said it was not "custom"...I just said it's not kustom with a K. ;) The spelling does make a difference in many people's eyes, even George Barris would wonder what was "K"ustom about it.

Maybe it should be a form of flattery? I think sometimes people need to realise age differences and trends. I'm only 32 myself and the 50's-60's "Kustoms" were a trend before my time that only lives at car shows. Now after my age the K trend has sparked up from cars to motorcycles. Seems it jumped my age bracket but its still its all about not stock. There are a lot of real world "Kustoms" and frankly, Just because it's not a 49 Merc should not mean its not Kustom or Custom or... All the youth is doing is following the foot steps of the people ahead of them that thought outside the box. This has nothing to do with the model in the thread and for that I apologize. Keep up the good work and post pics as you rebuild in the workbench section and you'll be just fine.

Maybe it should be a form of flattery? I think sometimes people need to realise age differences and trends. I'm only 32 myself and the 50's-60's "Kustoms" were a trend before my time that only lives at car shows. Now after my age the K trend has sparked up from cars to motorcycles. Seems it jumped my age bracket but its still its all about not stock. There are a lot of real world "Kustoms" and frankly, Just because it's not a 49 Merc should not mean its not Kustom or Custom or... All the youth is doing is following the foot steps of the people ahead of them that thought outside the box. This has nothing to do with the model in the thread and for that I apologize. Keep up the good work and post pics as you rebuild in the workbench section and you'll be just fine.

I am not hammering the kid, just trying to teach and help. If you want to get into a debate on Kustoms vs Customs...join me at my place. ;) www.thedpmcc.com/trak.html

Edited by RodBurNeR

I was never trying to get into a debate. I was simply stating that "Kustums or Kustumz" has been going on for a few years already. It's just a new generation doing the same thing the guys did that made the kind you follow. The kids online name didn't need to be a debate. His style shouldn't be a debate. It's about the Ventura in the thread. I certainly don't need to join you somewhere else to discuss things. If thats what your about then post on your other area and leave people that post pictures of plastic alone. For that matter I thought there was no wrong way to make a model but wow I guess you opened my eyes

To clarify so I don't come across wrong here.. Monday I came across a 79 year old man with a wicked blown 75 Camaro tubbed and all. I was in a good discussion about cars and shows. A 79 year old man thought GoodGuys should have a smaller section for tuners. He said he hated them but can like the work they do to them. Keep them off the street. Only accept a limited number and make it a challenge to be accepted. I like that Idea. Maybe not GoodGuys but Hot Import Nights does not come here enough. Embrace the youth and encourage.

No need to be offended, I just didn't think we should debate any further on his thread. It was a friendly invite. Kustoms are not a recent thing with young guys..it's been going since at least the early 50's. I thought it would be an interesting topic, but obviously you are feeling cornered. You don't know what I am about evidently.

" leave people that post pictures of plastic alone" <---proves my point.

Edited by RodBurNeR

Understood, & I'm one of those that hates custom spelled with a "K", simply because of my anal retentive views on grammar & spelling!! :lol:

As for George Barris, well I like some of his work, but prefer his late brother Sam's customizing touch overall. ;)

George tended to go "over the top", churned out a lot of junk for attention, (remember all those tacky star's "cars" he did?), & in general spent as much time huckstering as he did customizing, often taking credit for work that wasn't his or from his shop, (he's a master at revisionist "history").

Don't get me wrong, when he was "on" he was a creative genius, such as with the Ala Kart, the Kopper Kart & the Wild Kat 53 Ford pickup. When he was off however, it could be grotesque, (the Golden Sahara anyone? The epitome of tasteless, wretched excess).

:lol:

Just an fyi Mark, George is 84 and still doing what he did. Anyhow, I was agreeing with you until you said Golden Sahara was nasty? To each his own, I know it was gawdy, but it had some major components that are still added into kustoms even today. I don't care for any Barris stuff past the late 60's to be honest....but then again I don't care much for a lot of stuff done in that period. "To each his own"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh79rjltJJI