Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

Turbo Pro Mods are quite interesting too. Well I like supercharged engines the best, but these are interesting-just like bombs when they are gettin' ready for the start. Great job with the frame on this one, and body looks very aerodynamic. It's going to be incredible build, and looks like needs to buy at least one larger scale model kit. Maybe not Drag Car, but anyway....

That looks BADD.... A__ __..... if you know what I mean! I have to agree with Dave, slow and steady will win the race. And just keep in mind, that if it doesn't look like, don't contemplate it. Tear it a part and just redo it again, or it will tear you up inside down the road. Just ask Chris... lol

Joe, you know me... I even after months of having most of my chassis together, I tore the entire funny car cage out and redid it again. Just because I didn't like how it was looking.

Joe... This is looking freaking Sweet Man!!! I love the look with the wheels and the stance you got going. I can't wait to see more progress from you. Keep up the great work, just be patient and no need to rush anything. And as Bart mentioned I know it all too well about tearing it apart and redoing it again....once or twice. I have like 41.5 hours so far on this chassis rework I have been doing...lol call me insane but I am much happier with the chassis now.

Thx. For all the kind words guys, No rush here. It will get done when it gets done, i planned at least a year. Bart was kind enough to send me a resized photo for the 4 link brackets, Unfortunately i couldn't use them beings i don't have photo shop which is a bummer. So i found a picture on google a downloaded it and messed with it resizing it in paint till i achieved the size that worked, I then tapped it to some styrene and cut it out on my dremel scroll saw, this is the end result. it fits the chassis perfect, obviously i need to do a little more fine tuning and make the cut outs to fit the chassis then make 3 more lol.

6f96e416-1.jpg

Now that you have one, make the other 3 by puting 3 pieces of styrene together and using the one you as the master. I make all 4 at one time.

Love the work.

Joe, Derricks suggestion is actually a really good one, and one that I use when making multiples of something the same. It makes things go faster and you know they are all going to be the same size. The only issue that I came up against was drilling the holes my bit would wonder going through that much material. So I did both Left and then the Right sides together. This way you know that the holes will line up for your heim joints.

Chipping away little by little. Knocked out the 4 links brackets and have them mounted, also made the main body mounts. They turned out pretty good, the body has holes that the brass rod fits into and is a very solid sturdy mount. I found some pictures of some pretty cool rear body supports on some promod 57's i wanna try to duplicate. Now that the body is mounted where it will need to be i can start on the upper half of the cage, only concern is the bars that will run down from the main hoop to the dash ( A-Pillar bars) look like they might not hit exactly where they need to, Crossing my fingers they will. I will find out tommarrow night.

417c0dab.jpg

276475d9.jpg

08424e51.jpg

looking fantastic joe! great idea on mounting the body. is that something you always do?

Thx. Dave, Honestly this is the first time i ever scratch built something of this magnitude, I seen Clay Kemps build of a 1/16th daytona Promod he was working on and said that has to be the way he is mounting the body, so i went with it. It fits nice and tight and i will not have to use any glue to hold the body one which works great, I plan on displaying it with one wheel on and one off. Then if i want i can pull the body and put all the wheels on. Look for another update tonight.

Edited by Prostreet

Well after 2 failed hours thursday night trying to get the upper part of the cage started and lots of frustration i got the top part of the cage done tonight. So now i can start on the rest of the funny car cage, I think it turned out good and it fits nice and tight in the body. Let me know what ya think.

967019b0.jpg

211a291b.jpg

16df9c69.jpg

Thx. Guys, Hope to have some more progress tonight,, Bart if i had to guess with just what you see there for the A-pilliar's and supports it easily took 5 hours, It was a real pain for me and i think i knew it would be that's why i put it off so long lol, but in the end i got it done.

Edited by Prostreet

Made some more progress on the cage, Pretty much done with the interior part. Still need a couple little bars here and there. While doing the funny car cage i noticed my top bars going to the front of the funny car hoop were not lining up. I think the problem is the way i made the main hoop, It has to much of a bend where it heads up to the roof of the car, But the way the body is i had no choice. I might have been able to do less of a bend, You will never see it once the car is finished, but it isn't as accurate as i wanted it to be but doesn't look bad either. Only solution to fix it is tear out the main hoop and try to redo it, But at this point in the build it is not an option because there is so much to rip out, I'm learning alot for this being my first chassis and i'm making note for the next one. Next i will start working on the back of the chassis and while the body is still in one piece i want to try to start making the front body support and mounts for the nose i think this will be the easiest way, Once i get the struts and shock's from Jim(micronitro) i will start on the suspension. anyways on to the pictures of the update.

8c7bdfe4.jpg

b2bddc10.jpg

2fb7dcdc.jpg

Thx, Chris,Tyrone and Bart.

Bart not sure myself yet on the front end, Kind of have an idea on the front part but not the sides. Still looking for better pictures of it, I also have to take into account of the turbos being behind the back wheel and the exhaust exit in relation to my side mounts, Not sure about young lol, i will be 39 on the 20th.

Thx, Chris,Tyrone and Bart.

Bart not sure myself yet on the front end, Kind of have an idea on the front part but not the sides. Still looking for better pictures of it, I also have to take into account of the turbos being behind the back wheel and the exhaust exit in relation to my side mounts, Not sure about young lol, i will be 39 on the 20th.

I know don't you hate it when you have to take all of these things into account when building. If I was building a real chassis, I wouldn't have any hair left, because I would have pulled it all out. It is bad enough it is grey... Don't want to be bald yet!

On mounting the front clip, I see the mounts that look like a fish mouth but trying to figure how to mount them up with the small basket section which holds the tanks is beyon me.. Someone that has only been to 2 ADRL events, and don't race 1:1's.

Edited by eviltwincustoms