Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plated parts question

First off I'm sorry I don't have a better picture out of 15+ pictures this is the bestIMG489.jpg AMT 71 duster bumper.

the plated parts in the kit mainly the bumpers look cloudy there are spots that look clear on the parts too which makes the bumpers look worse almost like they are scratched. Anybody else seen this before? Is there anyway I can improve them without alclad or BMF?

If worse comes to worse , you can always strip the parts completely ( "Purple Power" , et al. ) , paint them with a gloss black basecoat , and then lay down some Duplicolor CS-101 .

It's not only more durable than Alclad , but it's also not a PITA to use . Its finish is very convincing !

Anybody else seen this before? Is there anyway I can improve them without alclad or BMF?

It's not uncommon on late '90s- early '00s AMT kits. I have a '60 Chevy pickup with similar chrome plating. The best solution is to remove the existing plating and undercoat, then send it out to be re-plated. I have yet to see a part "chromed" any other way which looks as nice as vacuum plated parts.