Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

Revell62VetteBody.jpg

Looking at the rocker panels, is the ribbed rocker molding to be a separate chrome piece?? I don't see it molded in the body there............

If it is, that'll make an easier conversions to a '61.

Edit: Never-mind, I see it in the previous test shot pic. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Based on Garry's profile shot above, this is another diecast-to-styrene kit from Revell. It's the "Route 66" Vette from a few years back.

While this kit no doubt uses much of the engineering design from the diecast Route 66 model, and probably a bit from the '58-59, it is a distinct item. Note the separate frame and floor pan, rear suspension, exhaust system, wipers, door handles, headlight bezels, etc. Also, the entire casting of the diecast body is solid from the front of the front wheel wells forward.

Most of you probably know this, but in case someone doesn't, an excellent site to see lots of Corvettes in their various color/option/power combinations is proteam-corvettes.com. Their inventory changes quite often, so if you watch once a month for a year or so, you will see many dozens of different Corvettes, with very complete descriptions. Photos aren't always great, but they are decent, with many exterior views and detail shots.

I am also excited about the release of this kit. That is actually an understatement. I am about to pee in my pants.

Based on Garry's profile shot above, this is another diecast-to-styrene kit from Revell. It's the "Route 66" Vette from a few years back.

Per the conversation I had with the folks from Revell who were at the last Toledo NNL, it's an all new tool not a repop of the "Route 66" diecast kit. Is there anyone here who has the diecast kit to compare ?

-Steve

I'll only buy one if it comes with the hardtop. I really hope they don't pull some cynical marketing strategy and issue it without, while planning a later release with the top.

I figure that's what's gonna happen probably later in 2012,you'll see a California wheels addition with big rims and some speed parts and of course a hardtop!.

I was working on a re-paint of the Revell die-cast last year, and dug out the parts. The body comes completely assembled, and I could not find the tote where I had put the chrome and clear parts after removal. I have included a built model, contrasting with the AMT version. The kit is well detailed for a die-cast (much better than the AMT annual), but simplified as is typical for an easy build kit. The most glaring error I see with this kit is the dual four-barrell set up , as GM did not offer this as an option after 1961. You can also see that the body is cast solid from the front wheels forward.

Revell62DC2s.jpg

Edited by garryrenfro

Now if we could just get Revell to backdate it's '64 Chevy pickup to a '62.

With the number of differences between a '62 and '64 pickups, it would be easier to tool a new kit that try to back date the '64. Only interchaneable parts would be the hood, bed, and engine, everyhting else is different.