Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brians Model Cars Forum shutting down

Not a member on there, but came across this another forum about BMC, at the end of the year its being shut down. I think that might explain a lot of the new members that joined up here, I know a lot of BMC members are going to Escale.

http://www.briansmod...s/thread/612448

Edited by martinfan5

He's actually shutting down on the 4th of November. He and Alex are talking about possibly hosting a non-active archive of BMC on italianhorses.

There's a lot of good stuff up on BMC, it would be a shame to lose all that knowledge. I for one will be spending some time Fri night and Saturday reviewing the Tutorials and Tips forums for anything I want to take notes on in case it doesn't either (a) get hosted anywhere or (B) takes a long time to get hosted anywhere.

There's a lot of good stuff up on BMC, it would be a shame to lose all that knowledge. I for one will be spending some time Fri night and Saturday reviewing the Tutorials and Tips forums for anything I want to take notes on in case it doesn't either (a) get hosted anywhere or ( B) takes a long time to get hosted anywhere.

The tutorials are available here: http://www.briansmod...admin/tutes.htm. They are in a zip file that is downloadable and can be read by a browser or program that reads and/or converts htm. He also included an index of the tutorials.

I never became a member of their board, but I'd peek in every once in a while to see what all was being built. A few years ago, they had some fairly talented builders on there, although that seemed to taper off slightly in the last couple years.

As far as board management, I was impressed by the fact that they had set standards for photography - basically anything even slightly fuzzy, out of focus or improperly lit wouldn't cut it. (This isn't meant as a swipe against this or any other model board).

I feel bad for them losing their modeling "home", but the guy running the board has apparently found them a new place to play.

Thanks for capturing the link to the tutorials, Doug!

It was a good site for a lot of information but very disorganized. The best stuff there was from Alex Kustov's website, which will now be archiving much of their information. Unfortunately, Alex seldom updates his site and hasn't done so in a long time.

www.italianhorses.net

Hmmm... I left there many years ago because they has some crazy strict moderators. I saw one chastise a 12 year old for his "poor use of English". it was in the rules that members have to use proper English, which in and of itself isn't a bad rule, nor am I opposed to strict moderation The issue was that the kid was from Estonia ! For a pre-teen Russian kid, I thought his English was pretty darned good..

I can't even remember the moderator name, or the kid's name for that matter, but that pretty much of did it for me. Great way to chase a kid away from the hobby, or at the very least make him feel bad.

Bye Bye BMC. Don't let the door hit you in the can on the way out.

I do hope we do see more of Alex over here though. I always had a lot of admiration for his work.

Edited by Jeff Johnston

I gave BMC a couple of tries over the years and I didn't stay there long both times. Yes,they had some really good tutorials, but some of the moderators were a little over the top for me. The last time I looked at that site, they wanted donations to keep it running and I told myself that the end is near for them. Well, the end is here and I won't miss them.

I never joined that site...just seemed too serious with the over-the-top moderation, not a fun place to hang out. Great for information though, but that same information can be found here, with decidedly more fun.

Thats what I have read over the past, never paid any attention to BMC, it was as they say, not a blimp on my radar

> it was as they say, not a blimp on my radar

not to be pendantic, and perhaps to mirror the site we may be speaking of in this thread, but i believe it should be

"it was as they say, not a blip on my radar".

though that blip may well turn out to be a blimp indeed.

> it was as they say, not a blimp on my radar

not to be pendantic, and perhaps to mirror the site we may be speaking of in this thread, but i believe it should be

"it was as they say, not a blip on my radar".

though that blip may well turn out to be a blimp indeed.

sSig_huh.gif