Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Studebaker Avanti

better model builders

here's link to Round2

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/63studebaker-avanti/amt780-01

now, that's interesting!

somebody knows there classic cars over there.

plus it's a 3 in 1.

Stock, Custom and Race. those are the best AMT kits.

in this case it's a Salt Flats race which wouldn't be my first choice.

it can be worked around to road race or dragstrip.

Have A Nice Day!

post-8967-0-87419600-1333345235_thumb.jp

One of the best kits to come out of the Original AMT. Strangely, this and the '53 Starliner are normally slow sellers for AMT, but they keep on bringin' 'em back... and this guy has no problem with that at all. B) I'll be picking a few of these up, even though I already have a Prestige and Millennium issue.

The only gripe I have about the kit is the front seats- they're tiny! They look closer to 1:32 scale. But all things considered, it's still a fantastic kit.

A good kit is a good kit . That kit , (Avanti ) was an still is a great kit . I like the fact that both sets of head lights were included as the 64's used the Squarish headlight doors , A M T listed them as Custom options though . In comparison to a comparable Aurora 1963 Avanti, uh I'll take the A M T one .............. Ed Shaver

The only gripe I have about the kit is the front seats- they're tiny! They look closer to 1:32 scale. But all things considered, it's still a fantastic kit.

I thought the stock seats looked small too until I saw a 63 Avanti in Auburn a few years ago and realized the bucket seats are that small in those cars. It does look strange though.

One a top 5 fave's since they came out..I really enjoyed building this kit quite a while ago and would love to do some diff. versions..COOL :D here's my stocker, and yea the front seats are wierdly small in the 1:1

000_2458.jpg

Fellas,

Photos of the Avanti front seats. I have a past issue of the kit but never really checked out the bucket seats. This car like the Corvette I believe had a fiberglass body.

post-4416-0-60774200-1333839056_thumb.jp

post-4416-0-94861000-1333839067_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete L.

Wasn't this kit last seen in 2000 under AMT's "Millennuim" series? I heard this release will be a 3-in-1 restoring the salt flat racing parts, which most of the reissues ommitted.

I can still find the 2000 issue for less than $20, so if this new release isn't gonna fix the flash and door issues. And the only new features it'll have are extra parts anda $28.99 tag, i'll stick with older releases that useally go for far less.

Wasn't this kit last seen in 2000 under AMT's "Millennuim" series? I heard this release will be a 3-in-1 restoring the salt flat racing parts, which most of the reissues ommitted. I can still find the 2000 issue for less than $20, so if this new release isn't gonna fix the flash and door issues. And the only new features it'll have are extra parts anda $28.99 tag, i'll stick with older releases that useally go for far less.

The only release of the Avanti I have that omits the racing parts on the instruction sheet is the Modern Classics and even it has the Slicks and Dual Paxton option. I haven't opened the plastic package to see it the parts are there. The rest all list it as 3 in 1 on their instruction sheets. Those kits are the Grand Turismo Avanti, Reggie Jackson, Prestige and Millennuim versions.

put a small block Chevy in it and you have instant Avanti II replica

Its a bit more than that. The ride height of an Avanti II was different. There are a lot of little differences between the original and the II, both internal and external. A good friend of mine had an Avanti II and previously had an original Avanti - he pointed out the differences to me. If you really want a II, some research is in order. Fortunately, there's a lot of good Avanti stuff - both original and II - online.

The later Avanti II's had square headlamps- the bezel looked identical to the '64-up piece, but housed a square (well, rectangular) sealed beam. Bigger bumpers came along in the '70's, and during the '80's quite a few of them seemed to have C4 Corvette wheels. One of the Avanti kits I have stashed away is going to be updated to 1990 specs, though I might keep the earlier bumpers just for appearance's sake.

• 3 months later...

Some people grow up in Chevy families. Ford, Mopar whatever. For me........Studebaker. Back in their heyday my grandfather, uncle and my dad probably owned eight or nine of them. My folks drove us around in a '65 Canadian built Commander Wagonaire for years.

The Avanti for me has always been a love/hate thing. I love everything about the car......except those wheel openings. The shape of them throws me in ways I can't describe. I have a dismantled old build up of one that I get down every now and again and start to fiddle with.......but I just can't seen to find a wheel/tire combo that makes that wheel opening look good. I will be buying this new kit though and build it up for my dad.

Edited by Jantrix