Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie Limited's '48 Chevy Coupe

49-51 Ford

Nope!This bad boy wears a bowtie!

Oh duh, it's probably Galaxie Limited's long-awaited '48 Chevy Coupe. Gregg posted pics of Galaxie Limited's '48 Chevy Coupe test shot build from last years Milwaukee NNL, so maybe...

Start spillin' the beans, Gregg!! :lol:

We have a winner!

Yes, it is the Galaxie Chevy coupe. From Galaxie...."This tool was created using cad and the prototype body that was shown at the nnl last year. This is the second tool. We rejected the first one because the roof was not shaped correctly and after three tries at fixing it, they started over . . . at considerable cost. We haven't seen test shots from this one yet. They were supposed to be ready at the end of February. Now they say mid April".

BTW, thank you for posting pictures of the mold. I find that kind of stuff very interesting.

X2! Agreed on the tooling pics, I think visiting an injection molding facility would be waaay cool, too bad they aren't in our country any longer to see :(

Thanks Gregg for your help with this new Galaxy project, it's gonna be a winner!

X2! Agreed on the tooling pics, I think visiting an injection molding facility would be waaay cool, too bad they aren't in our country any longer to see :(

They still are. IIRC someone mentioned Lindberg's molding is done in Michigan, and I want to say both Revell and Round2 do some stateside molding, too.

Thanks Gregg for your help with this new Galaxy project, it's gonna be a winner!

I agree, and thanks, Gregg. Like Dave this is the type of model-related thing which fascinates me and about which I could talk endlessly. Just wait, I'll prove it. :lol::D

One thing I found curious on the clear window parts molds above is that fact that the side windows are angled instead of lying parallel to the mating face(s) of the molds. Perhaps is has something to do with the way clear styrene flows, or how the parts are ejected from the molds and the forces on the ejector pins?

So many questions... ^_^

FWIW: On a recent episode of How It's Made on the Science Channel they covered injection molding. Maybe it can be searched and viewed on-line.

Found it:

http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/videos/how-its-made-mini-episodes-miniature-train-cars.htm

Edited by FASTBACK340

• 1 month later...

I remember this one, the test shot was painted red and looked beuatiful!!

It has been posted earlier last year or so, it is a modified reissue from Galaxie, so it's a 1948 just like their counterparts (i think you could build 1947 and 1948)

Can't wat to see the production model of thid one!!

Here's the picture of the completed test shot in 2012..

P1010183vi-vi.jpg

Mike...

• 2 months later...