Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Li'l Hot Dogger

Mr mopar

looks like round 2 is circling the drain releasing this dreck. wonder who they figure they will sell that junk to? 8 year old kids, bought by mom for Christmas? Give it up.

jb

I can't figure out why they're reissuing all those awful old Lindberg airplanes, unless they can sell them at half the prevailing prices of Monogram/Revell kits and go for what the Brits call the "pocket money trade."

>I like wacky show rods. Had fun with them when I was a kid, so yes, it is mostly a nostalgia thing for me

normally I would be right there with you on that. but in this instance...naw. its not even "wacky show rod" status. bring back the XR-6 for wacky show rod.

jb

It's fun. It's irrelevant, amazing it got tooled. Lil' Stogie, and Roamin' Chariot are other 2 in this series.

The Lil' Gasser/Mixer/Yeller/Cashbox kits were fun too.

XR6 was a real showrod. I love those.

These weren't. But I like them as fun builds, and great for funky parts. Like them better than rat rods.

Not my builds, but nice builds.

lilroaminchariot050.jpg101_3781.jpg

Edited by keyser

But I like them as fun builds, and great for funky parts.

^^ He gets it. :)

I doubt these kits are great sellers, as you can still buy the Royal Rail in the Autoworld store (i.e., direct from Round2) for $10.99, and that kit was reissued in 2009. :blink: Still, they keep bringing them back, so Round2 either must know something we don't, or they're willing to take a loss on a few select kits for their customers. Or maybe both. ^_^

Wouldn't buy a JDM sedan or truck with that dreck on it. You still have a sedan/truck.

I have a lot of kits like this, you can bash them with whatever you wish. Raider's Coach and Lil' Gasser kitbash in progress now, as well as Big Beer, a 26 Mack flatbed turned into a very large Beer Wagon.

Far more fun than fixing a warped 57 BelAir cvt. then fixing interior. Nice relief from Hiro 275 GTB/4 Comp. More creativity than restoring an annual, or converting a a promo to an unmodeled bodystyle. All of which I have going. But these things let me do whatever I want, no need to worry about screwups, and since most people dislike them, can pop reissues cheap. Never bought them when I was kid, but kinda liked them. Now, may only use for parts (see triple blower on Creepy T), but nice diversion.

Some have parts to restore some of the GNRS winners too, so win-win for me.

Edited by keyser

Dog Catcher? Trying to look at the bright side, maybe lose the upper half of the body for a vertical windscreen (or none at all), and ditch that pathetic "bone" radiator cap. From there on, just need a dose of creativity.
And a few cold ones.
Yeah, you need a few of those to make this seem worthwhile.

Gee Whiz guys, so many haters..... :P I for one am a big fan of Show Rods, and appreciate Round 2's efforts to bring back just a few here and there to keep "US" guys happy too. John Bogosian designed the Lil Hotdogger, and many more back in the late 60's-early70's, and getting any of them back sure takes me back.

Here's why after two years after they announced this reissue, I'm glad to see it really happen...

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010002.jpg

This one was built using a Dave Van laser cut kit, and a Lil' Stooge kit chassis Armed with a copy of the original instruction sheet, I scratch built all the little things unique to this kit like the steering wheel, "bone" bench seat, bone shifter, bone radiator cap, fire hydrant tail light, etc.

P1010002-4.jpg

Now I can finally see how close I came.....other than the wood grain on the body.... :D

Gee Whiz guys, so many haters..... :P I for one am a big fan of Show Rods, and appreciate Round 2's efforts to bring back just a few here and there to keep "US" guys happy too. John Bogosian designed the Lil Hotdogger, and many more back in the late 60's-early70's, and getting any of them back sure takes me back.

Amen Brother...!

>I don't understand the uproar about this kit? What is wrong with it?

well to me its not a great tragedy or anything, I just think its juvenile and kind of dumb. I doubt there will be many if any good parts in it to use elsewhere. I definitely know I like show rods but to me that's not what this is, its a cartoon. so all I was really saying is that I wonder if they think this is a necessary release or if it will sell a lot or what. kind of like the Pacer, in an entirely different genre, but WTH? I didn't realize there was such a pent up demand for something so mundane.

but hey I will get over it (just avoid buying it unless I am shown different, could happen) and I don't think there was much of an uproar. but you know what they say: any publicity is good publicity. or at least that's what they told the Rolling Stones and it worked out ok for them.

jb

I'm with John......like I had to say that as I spent a lot of time engineering that laser kit and money cutting and kitting them.

But why all the negative attitude??? That's a HUGE issue today in social Media and one reason I don't participate at any level other than maybe 4-5 forums. I really do not like seeing people be so negative about something that does not affect them.......I really DO wish people had the same passion over things happening in real life today that ARE affecting them and every one around them. But that's hard..... and negativity on FaceSpace or a forum is easy. Oh well.........Slam away haters......

you do realize, Dave, that your post exemplifies exactly what you are saying in your post.

the cardboard cutout one was very kool. very well done. that doesn't mean the world is (re)ready for a kit.

that's the word from the "haters". I hate that word. that makes me a hater hater.

jb