Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old school race car

I'm just getting started on the Pocher 1907 Fiat Grand Prix racer. After the Pocher Alfa I just finished, this one is child's play. No lights, no fenders, no windows, no interior upholstery...just a huge 4 cylinder engine and a chassis, basically.

I scrapped the ugly brown plastic kit pieces that are supposed to represent wooden planks on the floorboard and dash. First I removed the "metal" band from the dash...

fiat2.jpg

and used the Pocher piece as a template for my new wooden parts made with thin sheet balsa wood. Walnut stain and a coat of satin polyurethane gave me exactly the look I wanted:

fiat5.jpg

Gauge "glass" is clear 5-minute epoxy.

A little more progress...

fiat9.jpg

The engine still needs a lot of additional work (like the entire induction system for example!)...but it's looking pretty good so far:

fiat12.jpg

Very cool looking build so far Harry! I am looking forward to seeing this one. A note on the wood.... if I had heard you were going to use balsa for the wood planks I've tried to talk you into using "Bass wood" instead. The grain is denser, the wood stronger and it looks more realistic in my opinion. BUT, you pulled it off with the balsa my friend. I agree, the look is perfect!

;)

The basswood didn't have any real grain to it...it was too "plain" looking. Plus, I figured the balsa would be so much easier to cut (it is!). Maybe the balsa grain is a little out of scale, but I like the way it turned out. The stain turned out just right. I'll have to post a photo of the floorboards...they look pretty cool, IMHO. ;)

Are those spring shackles really brass or just plated plastic? I am thinking that the brass is pretty enough and your build is beautiful. But, the real car would NEVER use brass in this location! Brass is too soft a material for such a critical part.

J

Are those spring shackles really brass or just plated plastic? I am thinking that the brass is pretty enough and your build is beautiful. But, the real car would NEVER use brass in this location! Brass is too soft a material for such a critical part.

J

All the kit pieces that look like brass actually ARE brass. And you're right, spring shackles would never have been brass. In fact, I've painted a lot of the brass chassis pieces and crossmembers red, because on the real car pretty much every chassis and suspension part is red. But the brass parts are just so cool looking...I hate to paint them all, even though it would be more realistic. But the shackles, yeah, I think I'll unscrew 'em and paint them red too.

More progress. And Jairus...please notice that the shackles are now painted red...they're not brass anymore, now they're "steel"! :lol:

I used the same walnut stain on the leather belts that I used on the floorboards. The belts were too light, and the stain brought out the grain of the leather. The fuel lines are pre-formed, but in the grand Pocher tradition of poor engineering they didn't fit...so a lot of re-bending on my part to get them to go where they're supposed to go!

fiat18.jpg

The kit has the hand operated fuel pressure pump attaching to the side of the seat, which is wrong. It should be attached to the side of the cowl, which meant the line to it had to be scratchbuilt, because the kit piece ends at the side of the seat. Also, I used short lengths of K&S brass tubing to scratchbuild the "T" coupling. The kit doesn't have any outer seat shells, so I made them out of thin sheet styrene and painted them red. You can also see how my balsa floor and dash look when installed.

fiat17.jpg

I still have to remove the front spring shackles and paint them red, per Jairus' instructions! :lol:

fiat19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...