Model Cars Magazine Forum

49' Mercury Speedster.. It's Done 5/4/13

BKcustoms

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. I started work on the rear suspension and chassis. This was my first attempt at making an airride setup, it's not perfect but I think it'll look fine once it's painted and detailed. the bars are brass tube I had laying around with dirtmodeler rod ends and suspension brackets and the bags are "machined" from scrap plastic on my dremel. I still need to add the link from the top of the axle to the frame that keeps the axle centered but the floor needs to be notched before it'll fit so I'm waiting to do that.

100_2780.jpg

100_2784.jpg

100_2786.jpg

I also started to cut down a set of GTO seats.

100_2790.jpg

Let me know what you think! Billy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It'll be as low as it'll go with these wheels B) After some messing around with the front suspension and almost breaking it I decided to make it functional so I could set the ride height exactly where I want it during final assembly. Basically all I had to do was cut the kit suspension apart and drill holes where bolts go on a 1:1 and add brass tubing where the "bolts" go through the frame. since I don't trust the plastic to hold up very well.

Fully lowered..

100_2800.jpg

Fully raised...

100_2804.jpg

And a pic of where it sits as of now. It'll be a little lower in the end though.

100_2809.jpg

Thanks for looking in! Let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Billy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well i dug this one out and managed to finish the floor, hinge the trunk, make an engine bay and firewall, and make a speaker box for the trunk. CAM00009_zps9539a871.jpgCAM00010_zpsdbf15b4c.jpgCAM00011_zps1fc963aa.jpgCAM00012_zpsc8239378.jpg and here's the reason i haven't had much modeling time lately :)CAM00008_zpse3d0c750.jpg Thanks for looking, sorry for the crappy hone pics.

Thanks Do nminik and Doc Cranky! Paint time is going to be real soon. I finally got ahold of an appropriate engine for this build froom Chris L. (Clavender17) it's from the AMT 32 ford phantom vickie and I added a scratchbuilt blower and detail master wiring.i still need to make an engine cover for it to tie it in to the engine bay. 100_2928_zps50e086ac.jpg100_2927_zpsd9374424.jpg100_2931_zpsb6a7fcca.jpg100_2933_zps1cbaad42.jpg Thanks for looking, next step is paint!

Man I love what you did with that motor compartment, so clean and smooth looking. That's the look I want to achieve when I finally get to doing mine. Looks like you just cut the old ones out and used the other optional hood to cut the rounded edges off and put them in place. However it was done, looks great. Looking forward to seeing it all painted with those colors. Btw, the 1:1 project is looking good too.