Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would anyone out there have any pictures or know what color the engine was in Mark Donohue's 1971 AMC Javelin.

I've found a lot pictures of the car on google, but not a lot of the engine.

I'm thinking the engine was either grey or maybe silver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Vernon

I'm not sure which Javelin that is shown above. The lack of a dry-sump tank set into the firewall assures me it is NOT a Penske 71 Javelin (YES - I can see the fender shape). It DOES appear to be a Penske Javelin. This car has a square breather box between the shock tower and the firewall. The 71 Penske cars have a cylindrical dry sump tank set into the right firewall. This was retained for 1972. The cast aluminum valve covers on the 1st photo above are incorrect for the Penske-Woods era for these cars.

The photos I am providing ARE of a Penske 71 Javelin, as raced to the 72 Championship by Roy Woods Racing with George Follmer at the wheel, but essentially unchanged other than paint details from how it was as raced by Penske. Note Roger in the photos.

Not only was I around as an SCCA Tech Inspector when Javelins were being raced in TransAm, I participated in professionally restoring this car 2x. After the 1st time, it got parked outdoors under sheet plastic and tarps and needed restoration again. The 2nd time we also corrected some inaccuracies in the way the car had been when we 1st got it.. These were fancy stuff unlike the way Roy Woods and Penske had prepped the cars in the day. Mainly plating where it shouldn't have been, and some old race crash damage which had been repaired to look OK, but wasn't "right". Then I was a crew member for its re-debut at Palm Springs, November, 1992 as you can see in the photo of me working under the back of the car changing the differential.

Please note that these photos are part of my professional portfolio. They are copyrighted by me, Richard Parcells. I took most of them and those others with me in the picture were taken by my wife with my camera. These photos may only be copied with my express permission. If I find any of them on the internet, expect me to pursue legal recourse.

1st, the engine as requested

post-9587-0-84417600-1366954558_thumb.jp

The chrome valve covers ARE period correct. Light gray is also correct. This varied from engine to engine, so race to race. The headers are flat white, but that looks dirty VERY quickly. Blue anodize is correct for the radiator header tank on the Monte Carlo bar. There is NO cooling fan. Black is correct for the engine compartment. The Radiator is bare aluminum. Chrome is right for the shock mounts. The intake manifold is cast aluminum. Note the diagonal roll cage braces to the back of the tops of the shock towers.

Here is a link to my photobucket album of the car.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/MojaveRacer104/library/PREPCo/Road%20Racers/71JavelinTransAmPenske

Other Notes:

-The fuel cell top is Cad plated, not red. The fuel filler neck and cap are correct as shown.

- The battery is in a marine box in the right rear of the trunk.

- The on-board fire system is not period correct. A single 2-1/2lb bottle on the tunnel is.

- There is a Kelsey-Hayes remote brake booster and accumulator tank on the passenger floor.

- The exhaust dump pipes are double on each side for a total of 4 rather than 2. They are set in tunnels. This tunnel may be seen behind the seat in the interior photo.

- Where you see dark navy blue in this 1972 Roy Woods paint scheme in my photos, for 1971, substitute a somewhat lighter Sunoco blue.

- The driver's seat is a Racemark brand fiberglass seat designed and marketed by Mark Donohue. An accurate miniature of it is available in the Penske-Allison Matador NASCAR kit by AMT which was re-issued a few years ago.

- The interior colors are correct as shown for 1972, again substitute Sunoco blue for dark navy for a '71 car. White floor, blue roll cage, black door panels and dash top, blue anodize instrument panel, aluminum steering column cover, aluminum silver insulation on driver's floor and bottom of seat.

post-9587-0-92943200-1366956537_thumb.jp

post-9587-0-23349000-1366956539_thumb.jp

post-9587-0-33580900-1366956540_thumb.jp

post-9587-0-43408400-1366956541_thumb.jp

post-9587-0-55637600-1366956542_thumb.jp

Many thanks to all that responded, all this info will be a big help. Because this kit is so rare I plan to build it mostly box stock with the exception of opening the wheel openings a little and updated minilite wheels as well as tires from the Greenwood Corvette.

I'll try and post some picture after it's finished.

By the way, I'm still looking for some Donohue decals as the kit decals show thier age.

Thanks again for all your help, Vernon

I'm not sure which Javelin that is shown above. The lack of a dry-sump tank set into the firewall assures me it is NOT a Penske 71 Javelin (YES - I can see the fender shape). It DOES appear to be a Penske Javelin. This car has a square breather box between the shock tower and the firewall. The 71 Penske cars have a cylindrical dry sump tank set into the right firewall. This was retained for 1972. The cast aluminum valve covers on the 1st photo above are incorrect for the Penske-Woods era for these cars.

The photos I am providing ARE of a Penske 71 Javelin, as raced to the 72 Championship by Roy Woods Racing with George Follmer at the wheel, but essentially unchanged other than paint details from how it was as raced by Penske. Note Roger in the photos.

Not only was I around as an SCCA Tech Inspector when Javelins were being raced in TransAm, I participated in professionally restoring this car 2x. After the 1st time, it got parked outdoors under sheet plastic and tarps and needed restoration again. The 2nd time we also corrected some inaccuracies in the way the car had been when we 1st got it.. These were fancy stuff unlike the way Roy Woods and Penske had prepped the cars in the day. Mainly plating where it shouldn't have been, and some old race crash damage which had been repaired to look OK, but wasn't "right". Then I was a crew member for its re-debut at Palm Springs, November, 1992 as you can see in the photo of me working under the back of the car changing the differential.

Please note that these photos are part of my professional portfolio. They are copyrighted by me, Richard Parcells. I took most of them and those others with me in the picture were taken by my wife with my camera. These photos may only be copied with my express permission. If I find any of them on the internet, expect me to pursue legal recourse.

1st, the engine as requested

attachicon.gif2ndRestore_07.jpg

The chrome valve covers ARE period correct. Light gray is also correct. This varied from engine to engine, so race to race. The headers are flat white, but that looks dirty VERY quickly. Blue anodize is correct for the radiator header tank on the Monte Carlo bar. There is NO cooling fan. Black is correct for the engine compartment. The Radiator is bare aluminum. Chrome is right for the shock mounts. The intake manifold is cast aluminum. Note the diagonal roll cage braces to the back of the tops of the shock towers.

Here is a link to my photobucket album of the car.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/MojaveRacer104/library/PREPCo/Road%20Racers/71JavelinTransAmPenske

Other Notes:

-The fuel cell top is Cad plated, not red. The fuel filler neck and cap are correct as shown.

- The battery is in a marine box in the right rear of the trunk.

- The on-board fire system is not period correct. A single 2-1/2lb bottle on the tunnel is.

- There is a Kelsey-Hayes remote brake booster and accumulator tank on the passenger floor.

- The exhaust dump pipes are double on each side for a total of 4 rather than 2. They are set in tunnels. This tunnel may be seen behind the seat in the interior photo.

- Where you see dark navy blue in this 1972 Roy Woods paint scheme in my photos, for 1971, substitute a somewhat lighter Sunoco blue.

- The driver's seat is a Racemark brand fiberglass seat designed and marketed by Mark Donohue. An accurate miniature of it is available in the Penske-Allison Matador NASCAR kit by AMT which was re-issued a few years ago.

- The interior colors are correct as shown for 1972, again substitute Sunoco blue for dark navy for a '71 car. White floor, blue roll cage, black door panels and dash top, blue anodize instrument panel, aluminum steering column cover, aluminum silver insulation on driver's floor and bottom of seat.

Hello again Richard....I just had chance to read your information on this car. Many thanks again for this info, this is a very big help to me.

It must have been very fun to be involved with this car originally and the restoration.

At 55 years old now I love to see these cars as much now as I did many, many moons ago.

Thank very much for this info.

Vernon

I wanna see how the model comes out.

Hello Richard....I'll be priming the body this weekend and hopefully painting the inside of the body, chassis and interior tub. It's still a little way from being finished but she's getting there. I just recieved the Donohue decals from Pattos Place and they look fantastic.

Many thanks to the members that helped me get in touch with Patto. What a fantastic website.

I'll try to post pictures when its complete.

Happy modeling, Vernon