Model Cars Magazine Forum

primer peeled off after removing masking tape.

As I peeled off the masking tape to work on the lower end, some bits of primer was peeled off along with the tape. Since this is primer, and its not too much of a concern for me, but since this incident happened, I am worried that if I mask off the top end to paint the lower, it can happen. How do I prevent this?

post-14434-0-61481400-1411355891_thumb.j

post-14434-0-20927900-1411355901_thumb.j

I wait at least one week after painting to mask it off and never had that problem.

In that case, I'll start on the bed..The cab is coming out pretty good! But since this is something I don't do for a living, I cannot expect showroom quality, but I can tell you this: I've learned my lesson in when to paint, how to paint, and let time pass by.

Tony, Tamiya is the best masking tape and the 3m blue tape is always good. it is low tack so it does not stick strongly and pull off the tape.

ehhh, I did used Tamiya's 6mm tape for the project.

And use BLUE masking tape.....It's more expensive, but it works VERY well.....Not as tacky, but doesn't bleed as much as the regular stuff.....

What part of Houston you from, Man???

I'm by the Northwest side of Houston by US 290.

That's a perfect example of why you need to sand the body before primer. I sand the entire body on my models with 600 grit before primer. Then, sand the primer with 2000 before paint. Primer and paint need scratches on the surface to adhere well. It's especially important if you plan on doing any masking on it.

I'm about to mask off the top end. I have Tamiya's 6mm masking tape, a roll of Scotch's automotive performance green masking tape, and a Scotch blue painter's tape. Which of these is better to use to mask off the top part of the truck so I can paint the lower half. I don't want to remove the masking tape and find some red paint chipping on the tape when im finished.