Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt california hauler

I´ve preordered one aswell. With shipping to Germany this is still a better deal than buying the kit in Germany. The AMT truck kits here are $70 - $80, shipping not included. I buy pretty much everything from the States. If there is a truck model on ebay.com for $109, it will cost 109 on ebay.de. 109 is almost $150.

Everyone probably knows the old AMT ´72 Nova which was just rereleased as the Beverly Hills Cop Nova. I´ve seen them offered here for 34 ($47) which is nothing short of ridiculous. Do you Americans have the slightest idea about how spoiled you are regarding kit prices? I hope so!!! :rolleyes:

BTW...

Where can I find accurate resin 5-hole wheels in a good quality for the Duel truck? Any suggestions?

to tell you honestly I do I have ordered parts from down under before and it made me feel very lucky AMT,REVELL, MOBIOUS, MODEL KING and orthers are state side well sort of Edited by mnwildpunk

to tell you honestly I do I have ordered parts from down under before and it made me feel very lucky AMT,REVELL, MOBIOUS, MODEL KING and orthers are state side well sort of

Part of the problem for us Europeans is that US manufacturers do the warehousing and groupage stateside and not in China.

Most likely its cheaper for them shipping wise and the numbers sold in Europe too insignificant to change their way.

I see now that a Aoshima wheels set is cheaper here then a Amt tire set.......

Oh well.. good I'm up for adoption LOL

How easy it it for european's to do business across borders to Romania? I'm looking to get some model truck items from Dan's models there. Very hard to get here in the states other than evilbay. Would one of my prospective adopties be interested into looking into this for me. :) I can make it worth your time and effort. Drop me a PM.

Edited by Bowtienutz

How easy it it for european's to do business across borders to Romania? I'm looking to get some model truck items from Dan's models there. Very hard to get here in the states other than evilbay. Would one of my prospective adopties be interested into looking into this for me. :) I can make it worth your time and effort. Drop me a PM.

Wouldn´t it be easier for you to contact DanModels directly or via evilbay? If I order stuff from Romania and have it shipped to Germany, there would be shipping cost and with bad luck some additional dollars for customs clearance. Shipping to the States from Germany is pretty expensive aswell. So it´ll be double shipping cost and maybe more due to German customs issues.

Edited by Stuntman Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got one that they can show whats in the box? Hope the tinted glass is in the box.

OK team, here's a 27-photo review and commentary on the Round 2 reissue of this iconic truck model kit, including a detailed comparison with the original T-500 kit dating from August, 1969.

Make sure to use the "Roll" feature so you can view my comments (and add your own if desire) as you look at the images.....thanks for looking....TIM

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-amt-t500-califo/

DSC_0612-vi.jpg

Thanks for the review. Nice to see there's little flash, Round 2 seems to have been getting better with some of their recent ones. My 40 Willys was covered in it, but the 36 Ford had practically none. I've never built a truck model before, but I'm seriously thinking of picking one of these up. Might as well start with the one that started it all!

BTW the Car Model article Tim references can be viewed online at the Model Encyclopedia website. It includes instructions on how to make the steering workable and also how to scratchbuild a sleeper.

http://www.modelencyclopedia.com/magazines.php?MagId=123&PageNum=27

Thanks for the review. Nice to see there's little flash, Round 2 seems to have been getting better with some of their recent ones. My 40 Willys was covered in it, but the 36 Ford had practically none. I've never built a truck model before, but I'm seriously thinking of picking one of these up. Might as well start with the one that started it all!

BTW the Car Model article Tim references can be viewed online at the Model Encyclopedia website. It includes instructions on how to make the steering workable and also how to scratchbuild a sleeper.

http://www.modelencyclopedia.com/magazines.php?MagId=123&PageNum=27

Brett...I had the exact same experience as you regarding flash on the '40 Willys and '36 Ford kits. The California Hauler is nearly perfect - the only flash I found at all was on one of the parts runners.

Thanks for posting the link to the Car Model article - I pulled out my old copy and re-read it this morning. While this link doesn't show the issue's cover photo, Phil painted his PB in '57 Chevy Tropical Turquoise (he called it '58 - I haven't checked yet to see if the color carried over) and '64 Ford Wimbledon White. Of course, these are both exact match aerosol colors in Testors Model Masters Lacquer paint can lineup... TB .

so the sleeper is in is kit too :rolleyes:

There is no sleeper in the new issue. I illustrated it with parts from the second (c. 1973) reissue of the original California Hauler, so you could see what you are missing.

On my Fotki site, Tim Ahlborn reports Round 2 is going to do a plated Mercury sleeper as a Parts Pack offering in Q4 2014. Now that rocks! TIM

I just received my order from Model Roundup. The 359 boxes look like a truck drove over them.

Will open em up tomorrow and hopefully no damage was done.

Orderd 2 of these, the cabover and 2 KW cabovers.

Never had any of them except for the cabover in my childhood. Actually the 359 wrecker was one of my

first builds in the 70's.

Looking forward to putting the pete together and I just happen to have the old sleeper to go on it.

I just received my order from Model Roundup. The 359 boxes look like a truck drove over them.

Will open em up tomorrow and hopefully no damage was done.

Sorry to hear they look like that, hopefully all is good.

Would that be UPS or the US Postal System that can take credit for that ?

The last 7-8 packages I have gotten have all been damaged. I have quit ordering stuff I am so disgusted with the US Postal handing. Nothing worse then shelling out big bucks and the anticipation of waiting for it to show up , only find out it has been broken in transit. :angry: