Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Type 1 Motors

Coming soon. I posted some pics under "VW Type 1 engine" post.

When the resin caster receives and can show quality castings, we'll release more info.

The 48 IDA carb bodies and velocity stacks are from Replica and Miniatures of Maryland. (obviously these will not be re-cast with my parts).

thanks

If you make it into production I will want to buy at least one.

Funny we've had a few decent VW Bugs and Bus Variants but the engines have always been blobs that sorta looked like a VW air cooled motor. Any model company that would have done a decent air cooled VW engine would have had a hit on their hands, just for the engine alone.

Slightly off topic, but seems like a lot of VW fans here. Any suggestions for an industrial VW engine? They were used for running pumps, generators, compressors and such until the 90s. I was thinking about using the Tamiya bug engine, although the new Revell kit seems to have a decent engine as well.

I am assuming the engine you are all looking at is more of a performance engine, not a basic motor appropriate for pedestrian uses like powering a pump.

I'm thinking about something like this (not looking to build this specific pump, but something similar).

Edited by Aaronw

post-14005-0-19637400-1401631128_thumb.jIts detailed pretty good, it has a big breather on top of the motor, chrome stock valve covers, I got to get my model out and see exactly what was there, I have one pic. Somebody glued the generator in the wrong place , but you get a idea.

post-482-0-07998600-1401638232_thumb.jpgpost-482-0-63087600-1401638231_thumb.jpgpost-482-0-09950100-1401638231_thumb.jpgpost-482-0-65573500-1401638230_thumb.jpgpost-482-0-14610100-1401638230_thumb.jpgpost-482-0-47065500-1401638229_thumb.jpgThat same motor is basically found in the Lil Van yellow dune buggy Tom Daniel Reissue. The person that built the motor did not assemble the pieces correctly.

Here is an update:

I added detail to the altenator stand, adding the distinctive ribs and little hole. Also added a hoop to mimic the strap and added the electrical hook up to the top of the altenator.

I took your requests for an IRS tranny and created the side covers which could be added to the Tamiya Tranny. Will also have 2 types of axles/CV joints, one from a 930 Porsche. I custom made IRS trailing arms. These are a little lengthy and beefier(?) for Baja versions, but could be downsized for street versions. I also adjusted a Porsche 5spd tranny to fit the Tamiya chassis. Will add pics later as it is dechroming.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...