Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 bricks

steven

Hi my name is Steven. I have been planning in my mind on making a 1/25 scale 3 or 4 bay fire station but the one I want to kinda base it on has brick on the lower portion of it. What is the best way of reproducing brick ? And now that I have put some of it on draft paper well its kinda HUGH What do you suggest I use for the base ? This is going to be my first diorama including a structure And I want to do it right. the building alone will be 24 by 18 inches. the base 4 feet by 4 feet. Im going to have to redo my hobby shelves to make room for it lol . Any help will be appreciated Steven.

my suggestion is to cut the walls out of thin plywood and then apply brick surfacing over the prtion required. the plywood will provide structural rigidity. the bricks can be from sheet products, cut individually from either sealed wood strips (NO balsawood!!! - too soft & to coarse grained) or styrene. or go to the doll house shop & buy ceramic "bricks" & the proprietary mortar and lay them up individually.

http://www.craft-products.com/dolls-house-...tone-tiles.html

once the walls are up and doors & windows are cut, your time, patience, & budget are the only limiting factors. the ability to paint & weather the brick portions will make using "non-masonry" materials to represent the brick a possibility.

Steven,

Plastruct (www.plastruct.com) makes some nice brick wall in styrene but can be a bit pricey. Another way is to cover your wood with plaster and carve the brick into it. It is a very good look (lots of tidious work) and very realistic when done right. I suggest you purchase Ken Hamiltons book "How to build Better Dioramas". It is out of print buit can be found on the net. Good Luck.