Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona 'Early Version'

The Creative Explorer

Nick; sorry, but I use nothing but MSN or Skype. :o

Thanks Guys, I am glad my work also inspires other people, I guess that's what the snowball effect is all about

Although I really need somebody who can help me with my poor BMF skills, as you can see on the Ferrari; it sucks, I wish I knew some more tips and tricks, I already use a q-tip and toothpick, but I still manage to get folds and cracks, which really effects the build iMHO.

Well, the end is near, I polished the Ferrari and the clear did its job, I am not satisfied with the paintjob, there are still way too many flaws in it, but I am on a learning curve here, so I won't let it happen the next time.

I am carefully working on finishing the body, if that's done, the last straight is in sight and I can finish the Ferrari. :D Please give me your opinions and views!

365gtb069.jpg

365gtb070.jpg

365gtb071.jpg

365gtb072.jpg

365gtb073.jpg

365gtb074.jpg

365gtb075.jpg

365gtb076.jpg

365gtb077.jpg

365gtb078.jpg

Erik,

I use balsa wood to burnish the BMF. I first use my X-Acto to create a chiseled point on the wood, than I use 220 grit sand paper to round off the edges.

A cue tip is too soft and toothpicks are too hard. Also, make sure that you polish the are that you're going to apply the BMF to as well as you did the rest of the body. If not the BMF will only highlight any surface irregularities.

Other than that, this is one GREAT looking build of an excellent model!!

I hope this helps you,

looks good,

BMF, once you get it on it's pretty durably and I use Q-tips and really rub it on. It is amazing how hard you can rub and how much wrinkles you can get out just by rubbing the BMF out with Q-tips.

Thanks Guys!

Raul; can you please show me a picture? I would love to see the chisseled point you make.

Cal; I use BMF Ultrachrome, since that one doesn't rip and break. But it sticks really bad.

Well, the project is approaching it's end. I am working on the final touches and will soon be able to post the rest of the in-porgress pictures together with the final shoot.

But

Here is a teaser for y'all ;)

365gtb086.jpg

Great looking build! Love it! The whole build (exterior, interior, and engine) look awesome!

BMF - In my limited experience with it, I have found that sometimes a batch has had bad glue. The sheets tend to have a shelf life.

The other thing I have used to help apply BMF is the eraser on the end of a regular pencil. I use this to help push down on the foil, and then a Q-tip to kind of buff it out.

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I went through a similar experience 6 years ago, and was out of work for 10 months. I spent full time hours looking for work (120 applications), and finished up some model projects in between. Good luck. I hope you find something very soon.

Edited by Tony T

Thanks, I really hope to win some more BMF skills, as it is for sure i do need them.

I hope Raul is reading here and can show me his tip from balsa. I would be really interested in that.

Yeah it sucks about the job, I just want to get more money ASAP, so I can buy me a ticket to see my girl in Portland again.