Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shortened 1959 Chevy Sport Roadster.

E St. Kruiser50

I really love the concept cars and this looks like one GM would/could/should have done years ago!!

Way too cool for words (or at least the ones Gregg will let us use)!! :P

Later,

Thanks Raul :blink:

I always liked the concept cars too.

This is turning out to be more fun than I expected. I have a soon to be modified 'vert top that will show up later near the end, after I get everything else done. Gotta stay on track ya know :P .

It really gives the car a different look. It'll be removeable, to see the difference.

All the best - Dave :D

What can any of us say that you don't already know about this build....simply stunning...the paint is so nice it still looks wet...the conversion of the body to handle the interior is first rate. Great job...but I have one question, and I realize that it could be considered a silly question as this is a model...do you think that those 1950's tires can handle the power and torque of the LS1 engine? See, silly question, but one that I felt compelled to ask none the less. Dave...great build, tires not withstanding.

What can any of us say that you don't already know about this build....simply stunning...the paint is so nice it still looks wet...the conversion of the body to handle the interior is first rate. Great job...but I have one question, and I realize that it could be considered a silly question as this is a model...do you think that those 1950's tires can handle the power and torque of the LS1 engine? See, silly question, but one that I felt compelled to ask none the less. Dave...great build, tires not withstanding.

Hey Peter :blink: Thanks for the kudos man.

I know what you and Kevin ( AKA Evilone) are sayin. This choice of wheels/tires is such a huge departure for me. I usually can't stand "white's and caps", but I really like this look - WEIRD :o;)

If this were a 1 to 1, I'd have Coker's radial ply's on this, not the old style bias ply's. Coker's are known for good grip, corner handling and braking. Many of the late retro street rods and retro 50's/60's cars, you see in the mags, run his high end, high quality "skinny white's", even with the Big Blocks under the hood. (Just think of the smoke you could make - just like NASCAR :D:P )

Thanks for the input guy's. I really appreciate it - Dave :P

coker.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Looks great Dave.

I'm glad you kept the w/w's and the 'vette covers.

Not that anyone would consider your work "run of the mill", the wheel and tire choice will really make this stand out in a crowd. It's really unique. ;)

Hey Don :blink:

Thanks for the compliments and also your suggestions that made all the difference.

It's really rewarding to have other people be part of my projects, and as for me, it proves that were all better off universally, working together, and that sharing in each others work connects us all as the world grows smaller.

I do better because of others.

Pretty cool epiphany ;)

keep enjoying what you love my friend - Dave :rolleyes:

Well, got a bit more done today. Just takin' my time - no hurry here. Sometimes I like to doddle ;).

Kinda' in that layback lazy mood today :P

Gettin' tha chassis and interior a little more done. Lotsa tapin and sprayin to get the three different colors properly laid down and workin' together. Got a lot more to do with the black for more contrast, and more Corvettishness :blink::blink: ( That a word? - Guess it is now :lol: ).

Got more stuff done under the hood too, so things are comin' together slowly.

Later guy's - Dave :lol:

2008_1106Photobucket10050.jpg

2008_1106Photobucket10052.jpg

2008_1106Photobucket10051.jpg

2008_1106Photobucket10055.jpg

2008_1106Photobucket10054.jpg

Looks to be pretty much done. Great Job.

Thanks Clay :lol:

Good to hear from you.

About another week, and I think I'll be there.

I still have to do some foiling on the body, add all the chrome pieces like stock handle's etc., do plenty of engine and chassis work, and more interior stuff. The windshield get's some detailing too, and then tinted.

So probably a week or so, then I get to figure out what's next ;).

Always plenty of fun project's, just like with you :P . We love to build.

All the best - Dave :huh:

I spent most of my time today taping and spray painting. I did a lot of black for contrast.

This is one of those projecte I have so much fun with that I feed off of it, and it gives me energy.

I love detailing when i can get into it, and the detailing on the interior just comes alive for me with the contrasting colors.

Luckily it worked out this time,as there's been plenty of times I've had to redo it ;)

Whataya think - Any suggestions? :D

The last picture shows some of the pieces still I have left to install, probably next week.

Thanks all - Dave

2008_1107Photobucket10054.jpg

2008_1107Photobucket10053.jpg

2008_1107Photobucket10052.jpg

Here's before the contrasting black was sprayed.

2008_1106Photobucket10050.jpg

Here's the parts still to be installed.

2008_1107Photobucket10056.jpg

hey all ;)

Years ago I decided I wanted to try doing real leather interiors for my models. So I went to a local retail leather supplier, and purchased "full skins" as you see in the photo (about 9 to 12 square feet each), that came from Sweden and Denmark. Over a period of time, I bought quite a few different colors. Glad I did because the quality and color is much better than what is available now from China.

One side provides the leather surface, and the back side is the suede. Very, very thin, and beautifully supple and soft.

2008_1107Photobucket10057.jpg

These are the small pieces I will use for the carpet.

2008_1107Photobucket10058.jpg

In this pic I have made a template and cut out the right side and have the template laying on the left piece, ready to be cut out.

Notice the carpet is a little darker and will give the interior a warm rich contrast.

2008_1107Photobucket10059.jpg

Here they are done and installed.

2008_1107Photobucket10060.jpg

Here's one of my full leather interiors.

2008_0330Photobucket1-1.jpg

dang bro that is taking it above the notch

freekin sweet it has REAL LEATHER

well i was going to offer to buy it but now that you put the leater on it thats going to be a bit outta my price range

i have lots to learn now because that blows any of my interior workings straight outta the water

Thanks guy's :)

Glad you like the leather work.

Here's a few others with full scratch-built leather interiors.

Hope you enjoy - Dave

1932 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton Street Rod with full scratch built leather interior.

2008_1107Photobucket10059-1.jpg

Full scratch leather interior in an all scratch built 1935 Duesenberg SJ Airflow Coup'. 1200 hours

2008_1107Photobucket10060-1.jpg

Complete scratch built leather interior in an all scratch built 1941 Hollywood Graham - 2000 hours.

2008_1107Photobucket10058-1.jpg

That looks really nice man!.What kind of glue do you use to hold the leather down?I'm useing an old seat cover on a firebird build.

Hey terror B)

I just use plain ol' testors, in the red and white tube. It absorbs into the leather, and attacks the styrene, so they become one. Nearly impossible to remove.

Any other questions, just give a holler - Dave :)

Hi again B)

There's a lot of pieces to this suspension, and moving everything forward a scale 5 inches didn't make it any easier.

I cut all four of the A-arms off the chassis, and modified them so the could be moved. Also had to modify the trans axle the same amount, and move the axle shaft locations forward on the trans axle.

The wheels came next. As you see in the pics, I had to marry lot's of pieces together so the wheels would slide on in place - at least that's the plan :) .

The trick is trying to keep it looking stock, and the changes subtle.

Anyhow, we'll see how it actually works :). Still more pieces to add.

2008_1110Photobucket10066.jpg

2008_1111Photobucket10072.jpg

2008_1110Photobucket10068.jpg