Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR 8th Scale Barracuda

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

As some of you may know, Dan at Scalemotorcars purchased an 8th scale 71 Barracuda master and assorted components about one year ago...

I know it was in August. Was it 2009 or 2008? I'm thinking 2009...so 2 years and 8 months ago.

So what's up with Cuda?

I realize this body has been a long time coming so I'll take the time to give you guys the whole picture and this is the last post I'll be making in this thread!

Here's a brief history of the whole situation.

The master for the body was listed on eBay, apparently someone had started the project for a client as "promo" ? and his client backed out.

A group of you got together and the master was purchased.

The original intention was to cast it in resin...that's all well & good but didn't work out very well. There was only one body cast - it was totally unusable.

Due to the circumstances the original caster was under at the time....the project was doomed.

A substantial amount of time and money was dumped into rubber molds, resin etc. by the original caster........all this was absorbed by him as a loss.

Rather than see the project die a slow death I agreed to take the project over and lay the bodies up in fiberglass, that's the only involvement that TDR (as a group) has had in it up to this point.

I have some things to take care of at the moment but I'll continue this post a little later today explaining the rest of the story and why it's taken so long.

BTW...yes the bodies are (finally) going to happen.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Okay guys I'm back....there's been so much water under the bridge with this body that I'm going to start a new thread titled "1/8th '71 Cuda" here on MCM.

Steveo was interested in seeing pics of the 5 piece mold and a show & tell about how this body is being produced...no problem.

I have to check into the hospital Friday...they seem to think that I may have an issue where the doesn't shine. At least they are only using one camera and not sending in a whole film crew.

I was in an area in the Nam where agent orange was used and cancer is a concern.

If all goes well watch this section for the thread I mentioned above as I'll posting pics of the molds, the bodies as they are laid up and so on. I reckon if you investors see first hand what goes into producing a body by hand you'll have a better understanding of just what's involved and how long it takes.

I'll show you how.......then if you want to tackle a new body yourselves, have a ball.

Fantastic project! On a different subject, I have always been amazed of the lack of hi tech street rod bodies and parts there have been considering the huge amount of rod builders I've seen at contest throughtout the decades. Do you think there is a market for a proper Boydster-like 32-34 style body? Not a simple 'ungainly' 32 ford...a stretched smoothed Foose design with all the correct minimalist panel lines. When I attended some NSRA or Goodguy events, it was those $$$ styles along with smoothed out '37 fords that turned heads and were the big draws to the shows. They all had Jag rear ends and twin A-arm front suspensions, No fuzzy dice, no giant superchargers, no mexican blankets or rat rods. Just pure simple elegant designed art-cars.

Fantastic project! On a different subject, I have always been amazed of the lack of hi tech street rod bodies and parts there have been considering the huge amount of rod builders I've seen at contest throughtout the decades. Do you think there is a market for a proper Boydster-like 32-34 style body? Not a simple 'ungainly' 32 ford...a stretched smoothed Foose design with all the correct minimalist panel lines. When I attended some NSRA or Goodguy events, it was those $$$ styles along with smoothed out '37 fords that turned heads and were the big draws to the shows. They all had Jag rear ends and twin A-arm front suspensions, No fuzzy dice, no giant superchargers, no mexican blankets or rat rods. Just pure simple elegant designed art-cars.

There's always room for more body designs, so have at it and get something interesting started, and then share it with the rest of the " biggy" world. All of the previously marketed kits are getting a bit stale, and it sure would be nice to see a couple of new kids on the block.

CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR

There's always room for more body designs, so have at it and get something interesting started, and then share it with the rest of the " biggy" world. All of the previously marketed kits are getting a bit stale, and it sure would be nice to see a couple of new kids on the block.

CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR

I'm not that talented!! But I'm still surprised the rod aftermarket never embraced the hi-tech scene. I'm enjoying the larger scales, but the cost of 1/8th is over the top for me.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dave, you're right about the cameras...they've already been down the other end, at least they let me watch the monitor with that one.

I think everything will be fine....if not, I'll just have 'em swap out my 9" for a M.W. eleven.

Hope you're OK Don. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Here's a shot of a full size stock '71 interior, note the lack of a center console. As far as I know a console wasn't offered in this car for 1971. The red interior is a 1970 and it shows a console. Also note the difference in the pattern on the the seats.

71Barracudainterior.jpg

1970Barracudainterior.jpg

Consoles were avail all 5 years a Barracuda was produced 1970 thru 1974 . avail with either a slap stick auto or a 4 speed.

There are some slight differences though between 1970 only versus the 71 thru 74 versions.

In 1970 the console automatics had a round woodgrain shifter ball, 1971 thru 74 was a T handle style

1970 consoles had an empty cavity near the rear edge that allowed the seat belts someplace to be stored when not in use.

1971 thru 1974 consoles had a chrome ashtray there instead

ps - the black int shown here is a 1971 only interior style / pattern

The red interior pattern shown was 1970 only, BUT 72 thru 74 patterns were similar

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...