Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24th Ford F-350

I'll be all over this kit, if they put it out......I want one for my fleet.....Trust me.....I'll buy at least 3 of these.....At $60-$80, that will be all I can afford, but I would hope an American model company or two would take notice.....

Edited by kilrathy10

an American model company or two would take notice.....

They will notice, but according to American builders, no one wants to build new truck kits , will "they" being the American companys do anything, time will time, and I am sure they are going to be keeping an eye on the sales numbers for this kit here, but again, what do I know, I am just guessing here

Edited by martinfan5

Pouring over the sprue pics...

most of the parts look very accurate and true to the real truck. The engine will be really cool - I would have to see one built up…but it looks good. The body is good - and I noticed the side emblems (looks like a big vent on the front fender) are molded separate (nice). The interior, while a little on the boxy side (the seats are squarish looking) looks great with the big door panel pockets and everything.

Now…the gas filler door…My truck had a utility box, so I don't know where it was originally, but the images I searched show it close to the rear wheel well vs near the front of the bed…anybody have confirmation on that location?

I can see only one battery on the sprues…diesels have two.

As mentioned above…the kit's wheels have seven "spokes" vs 8 on the real one...

I can start a reference post in the appropriate area once I get some pics of a truck...

Now…the gas filler door…My truck had a utility box, so I don't know where it was originally, but the images I searched show it close to the rear wheel well vs near the front of the bed…anybody have confirmation on that location?

My utility at work is a 2008 F250, it has the fuel door at the front of the bed on the drivers side.

UT343_zps41a23be1.jpg

It is possible that the F350 or diesels move this, but I don't have access to one that doesn't have a utility body in place of the pickup bed.

Since 2007 the diesels actually have two fill points, one for the diesel, one for the liquid urea used to reduce emissions.

Thanks for the picture Aaron. I have come up with pics of gas and diesel trucks with the tank door in different locations, so I really don't know.

The 2007-10 Diesels did not have the urea tanks yet - I think that started with the 3 gen SD in 2011 model years. My 2009 does not have urea, 2012 does.

Either I never pay attention or it's not common, but how many Super Duties have those style mirrors (on the USFS truck)? Thought they all had the two post, large style...

Edit: I found the other battery on the sprue - it's attached to the coolant tank in the upper left of the sprue…good!

Edited by Erik Smith

Looks like another 6.0 Powersmoke Diesel has bit the dust! :D

You are right, it could make for a great diorama!

As I call them , "Six-Litre Head Gasket Eater" or "Six-Litre Turbo Eater" .

From what I understand , most of the 6-litre's issues had to do with 4-retainers-per-cylinder for the heads ; later engines (6.7 litre , et seq.) were troublesome because of the ridiculous amount of [explative deleted] emissions equipment they're plagued with .

On a positive note ; this looks like it's going to be one heckofa kit !

I can see that the Chinese market will blossom like the Japanese manufactures did via Tamiya , et al. (and , yes , I recognise the differences -and similarities- between those two Asian cultures

:) ) .

While I certainly bemoan the slow , painful death of American-made kits ( and other items as well ) , I also welcome the presence of more competition to the market .

When this kit is out, DO NOT be shocked if I end up buying about fifty of them. I'm dead serious. I can think of at least that many different ways to build this thing.

I've long thought that if a new kit of a current (or in this case, at least relatively current, this being an '08-'10 model) pickup truck were produced in full-detail form, it would be a Ford Super Duty. Cannot even begin to convey how stoked I am to see that someone is even considering such an animal! I hate to say it, but this one stole just a little bit of thunder from the news of the Moebius Bumpsides for me... not much, but still just a little bit.

I was thinking the same thing Chuck! If this kit comes out before the Moebius '69 and '71, it will get overshadowed by the Meng F-350 badly IMO.

There is plenty of room (and $$$ waiting) for both kits. It's a good problem to have, IMHO.

I would also venture to say that Meng has a dually in the plans from the looks of the parts layout on the bed.

I'm thinking the same thing- in fact I'm sort of curious as to why they'd do the SRW version first. Oh well. All they'd need to do is provide the proper bed sides, different wheels, two more tires, and cab clearance lights. Sounds doable enough... if they sell enough of these. I'm gonna try to do my part. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the Moebius kit will hit the market first, and be quite a bit more *ahem* affordable. Even if this kit comes first, I doubt I won't buy a half hundred of the Bumpsides, too. B)

I hiiiiiighly doubt that. The part about Moebius kits coming first, not your purchasing power :lol:

Looks like everything on the F-350 is done other than the glass runner (which isn't shown on the runner board), and maybe the tires since they aren't displayed either. But clearly the box art is done, the decals are drawn, and the mylar transfers for the mirrors are ready. Knowing that Asian manufacturers don't announce until about 90 days before release and the Bumpsides just got the first round of test-shots a month or so ago, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting them first.

Edited by niteowl7710

I'm a Ford guy and even I hope those are in the works also!! Hopefully, this is only the beginning. Pickup builders have been starving for a long time for something new to build. By new, I mean a kit newer than a '99-'00 model.

I was happy when i blended a 4x4 98 f150 and 99 lightning to replicate my truck that i rolled January 5th, but was hoping that a superduty raptor and newer dodge and chevy were in the works. ive built 4 98-2000 f150s and im tired of that being the newest kit, i have a diecast raptor and 04 superduty but want new stuff. Heres to a new age of pickup models i hope.ffffffffffffff_zps9f8506fa.png

Would be nice to build this outta the superduty kit as i have a thing for superduties and raptors

tires3_zps4a0bcafa.jpg

Thanks for the picture Aaron. I have come up with pics of gas and diesel trucks with the tank door in different locations, so I really don't know.

The 2007-10 Diesels did not have the urea tanks yet - I think that started with the 3 gen SD in 2011 model years. My 2009 does not have urea, 2012 does.

Either I never pay attention or it's not common, but how many Super Duties have those style mirrors (on the USFS truck)? Thought they all had the two post, large style...

Edit: I found the other battery on the sprue - it's attached to the coolant tank in the upper left of the sprue…good!

I didn't realize the light trucks had a reprieve of a couple years, assumed the '07 regulations hit the smaller diesels as well.

As to the mirrors I hadn't noticed, but you are right, there is a larger style with two arms, and the smaller one like the truck I posted. I looked around the yard tonight, 2 of the F250s are like mine, and one has the larger mirrors, weird you would think all coming from the same contract they would be the same. All of the 350s and 450s have the larger mirrors.

I'm thinking the same thing- in fact I'm sort of curious as to why they'd do the SRW version first. Oh well. All they'd need to do is provide the proper bed sides, different wheels, two more tires, and cab clearance lights. Sounds doable enough... if they sell enough of these. I'm gonna try to do my part. :rolleyes:

Going with the single wheel allows one to easily go F250 or F350 so maybe a slightly larger market?

Going with the single wheel allows one to easily go F250 or F350 so maybe a slightly larger market?

Could be, but in kit form all that would amount to would be different fender badges. An F-250 version of this kit which was completely the same as this F-350 with nothing more than different badges would seem a little like a rip-off. But they could do a 250 with different wheels, different mirrors, or a different trim level to make it worth getting. That wouldn't have been a bad idea- produce this kit as an F-250, then add the needed dually parts land offer a separate F-350 dually, not unlike what Monogram did with their '91 250/350 kits.

Not trying to poke holes in your theory, just thinking out loud. B)

Could be, but in kit form all that would amount to would be different fender badges. An F-250 version of this kit which was completely the same as this F-350 with nothing more than different badges would seem a little like a rip-off. But they could do a 250 with different wheels, different mirrors, or a different trim level to make it worth getting. That wouldn't have been a bad idea- produce this kit as an F-250, then add the needed dually parts land offer a separate F-350 dually, not unlike what Monogram did with their '91 250/350 kits.

Not trying to poke holes in your theory, just thinking out loud. B)

That is what I was thinking, and if they actually included both F250 and F350 badging that would be even better. I'm just thinking sales wise the F250 and single rear wheel F350 accounts for a lot of trucks on the road, probably quite a few more than the dually.

When they do get around to a dually (and I have to assume they are) the same thing applies to the F350 dually and F450 since both now run 17" rims (the older 450s ran 19.5"s) and you can get an F450 with a pickup bed. With just a couple of extra pieces they could offer 4 trucks instead of 2.

I think if you were going to offer a separate F-250, you'd have to either offer it in 2WD with the other set of '08 F-250 wheels.

12352864055_93abbc686a_o.jpg

Or go the fully-loaded route and offer it up as a King Ranch, which again has a different set of wheels.

12352863985_9cff928547_b.jpg

You could get a them both with the Diesel so there's no need to change the engine, although you'd have to wonder at the possibility of offering the F-250 as a 2WD gas V-8 too. I guess it all depends on what all they have planned with this new Car Series. Only the HiLux seems to have been repeated in modified reissue sort of way out of all the kits they've done so far in their history.