Model Cars Magazine Forum

Okay, I'm a nerd. So shoot me. It's not every day I do a car that shares it's name with an element. :P

Quickie build to help me through a spot of perpetual brick walls on all my other projects. If it's not the weather being not very conducive to painting, it's a part. If it's not a part or paint it's my body being uncooperative. Sometimes, something has to give...thus...quickie! lol

The victim over the last few days has been this unremarkable yet not unseemly AMT 1966 Mercury Parklane. Aside from two NASTY sinkers on the drivers side lower quarters, it's really not too bad as far as the body goes. Mine also had goobered up quarter window trim, but that was much more my own fault than the kits.

Otherwise, it's a typical '60's annual style kit, with all that comes along with that. Metal-axle-through-the-engine, archaic door panel engraving, big-blobs chassis plate...you know the deal. But its overall proportions are fairly well done and I think it'll make for a good shelf model...and most importantly...I think I can crank it out within a week, give or take a day or so.

In addition to the basic cleanup (and fixing the previously mentioned huge sledgehammer dents on the lower quarters), I've scribed in some of the missing panel lines on the front clip. I elected to skip the front fender cap lines because they're so close to the molded-in marker lights, and I just didn't feel like fixing that if I screwed it up.

I'm also going with a vinyl top, just because I like the way they look on this car.

Anyway, I've babbled enough. Here's some pics.

6_Mercury_Parklane_VinylTop_01-vi.jpg

6_Mercury_Parklane_VinylTop_02-vi.jpg

6_Mercury_Parklane_VinylTop_03-vi.jpg

6_Mercury_Parklane_VinylTop_04-vi.jpg

66_Mercury_Parklane_Prepped_05-vi.jpg

66_Mercury_Parklane_Prepped_01-vi.jpg

66_Mercury_Parklane_Prepped_02-vi.jpg

66_Mercury_Parklane_Prepped_03-vi.jpg

Thanks, Riley. It still needs buffed out but I'll let it gas out a while before I do that. I'll take tomorrow for the interior, then by the next day the body paint should be hard enough to do the foil. Lots of it on this beast, so that's gonna be fun. :)

Hey guys. Slowed up by the ol' bod again, but I'm back to picking away on this one.

I guess I never included this detail in this thread, so if ya missed it in the other section, here's what I did to the door handles.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71690

The floor monster came along and ate one of the taillight lenses. I think it actually did me a favor, though...the kit ones weren't anything to brag about. Still, the plan was to keep this one a quicky so it's a bit annoying. :D

Here's the kit lense.

Mercury_Parklane_Taillights_01-vi.jpg

Whittled a new one out of a chunk of clear red sprue...it's on the drivers side. Kit part on the passenger side for comparison.

Mercury_Parklane_Taillights_02-vi.jpg

Scored the newly shaped lens to guide a micro saw blade, and slowly drew that through to create the troughs to hold the trim.

Mercury_Parklane_Taillights_04-vi.jpg

Using stretched sprue to create the trim. Black, specifically, to prevent any funky lookin' reflections inside the transparent plastic.

Mercury_Parklane_Taillights_05-vi.jpg

I let the liquid cement help gloss the plastic back up. I'd buffed it a bit, but it still lacked luster.

Mercury_Parklane_Taillights_06-vi.jpg

And foiled up...

Mercury_Parklane_Taillights_07-vi.jpg

Oh, I threw a little foil at the body, too. :D

1966_Mercury_Parklane_trim_01-vi.jpg