Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Top Fuel Motorcycle (Larry "Spiderman" McBride)

ScrappyJ

Painted graphics on the bike. This was all using HOK and taping off the graphics. Unfortunately, because there were so many layers and I also used inter-coat clear, I had too much build-up in certain areas and had to try correcting. Lots of consulting with David Morton, I was able to get it presentable

IMG_2687-vi.jpg

IMG_2686-vi.jpg

Here are the graphics for the decals. Clay Kemp did a great job on these and I am indebted to him.

artwork-vi.jpg

Rollingbikeframe-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

As always, thanks for the kind words, Gents!

On another forum, I was asked about the tires, so I thought I would provide some insight:

The front tire was from the Tamiya kit and I went ahead and cast them since the original intention was/is to build multiple bikes.

The master for the rear tire was scratch-built out of flat styrene. I first cut styrene the width of the contact patch part of the tire and rolled it in a roller that I got from Micro Mark (don't know the part number, but should be easy to find on their website); then I used my olfa radius cutting compass and cut the side walls (making sure to cut the outside first, that way you still have the center point to come in to cut the ID); then I rolled some round styrene rod to radius between the OD and ID of the side walls. Once these pieces were cut and rolled, I attached the side walls to the main conact part, the rolled rods to the side walls, then I applied lots of putty and begun the sanding part. Oh...one part that I forgot to mention: once your roll the flat piece for the main contact part, it tends to roll concave, so I rolled a small styrene strip and glued it to the center of the contact patch and then also applied putty so that I could work it from center to the edge of the side wall on both sides. Once all this was done, lost of primer and sanding. Once the master was completed, I cast a mold and made the tire(s).

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the process and hopefully my descripton makes sense. Here is a pic of the first version of the tire once it was done (had to redo it beacuse it wasn't wide and tall enough): CRW_0148_RJ-vi.jpg

The easier way to have done it, would have been to buy some type of machinable plastic, chuck it up in the lathe and machined it. Unfortunately, I didn't think of it sooner and went with the first thing I thought of.

Next pics will be the finished product in the "under glass" section.

Edited by ScrappyJ

Thanks guys!

Rick-

I believe I used 30 thousands sheets styrene for the tire. I bought some 20 thou and 30 thou sheets from a local plastic supplier in either 6'x4' or 8'x4' sizes and then I cut them down to smaller sheets, by measuring, scoring and bending and braking. It's a little more work, but a lot more cost efficient. They should have different sizes and types too.

Here is a pic of the tool:

81356_T_T1-vi.jpg

and the link:

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=rolling+bender

It's a really cool tool and I've gottend some really good use out of it.