Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

Truly a Awesome Job, I myself can't wait to see what else that you have stored up in the very creative mind, just Super so far.

You know that I love it.

Will Get your box out to you soon.

Mike A.

...thanks Mike!!

..thanks Tony and Mike! Appreciate all you fellas taking the time post your comments, helps me to keep after it! Well this is basically how I'll have it for the show. Maybe a couple more little items will get added......definitely will have more stuff for the next show.

0103.jpg

0113.jpg

0143.jpg

0093.jpg

Edited by dannyi

First time browsing the dio part of this forum, and this was the first project I clicked on... and... oh...my...goodness.... that is some SERIOUS talent you have there sir! My jaw was almost hitting my keyboard scrolling through the last 6 pages of this... and all I could really think of is 2 things. First... this is just too awesome! Second, "what the bloody hell did you do to that Edsel?!?!" (being as I am buildin the Edsel right now) This is certainly a piece of art my friend.... and your attention to detail is unrivaled. Ive wanted to build dios for quite some time now, and just never really got around to it. Looking at this... you inspired me. I was putting my son to sleep last night and was thinkin on how I could make a couple of the old jackstands, think I have it planned in my head. If I get the build right, Ill be more than happy to show you how I did it. I will be watching this build from now on.. because it is absolutely breath taking and stunning!

EDITED: I went back through the pics, and noticed you did have jackstands. I was going to build more of the 4 sided, A frame types, oh well, still a fantastic job though!

Edited by Naydrus

You have to go to Danny's Site scenesunltd.com and look at the products that he makes for the older Car's, he is truly a Artist, as everything that your looking at on the Diorama, is mostly all made by him.

including well Everything!!

But through out this whole site are such great people, and wonderful artist's in their own zone, it's really hard to beliieve that they aren't in a Museum some place.

rctrucker!

Edited by rctrucker

...well disaster stuck yesterday morning. I guess I can joke about this because I'm still in shock.....As I was walking in the door to the show with my dio a fella wanted to check my vendor badge. The badge was hanging pretty low around my next from a cord. I had loosely wrapped the dio in plastic because of the threat of rain. Instead of setting the dio down I lifted it up and that's when the dio slid in the plastic! It happened so fast I just stood there in total disbelief as it crashed to the floor. The plastic did manage to contain all but a couple of pieces. This is what it looked like when I removed it plastic covering.....

0114.jpg

0104.jpg

0094.jpg

0085.jpg

0076.jpg

....it's repairable but I do have my work cut out for me. I am trying to keep a positive outlook on the experience. I even thought I should have stuck the 41' in there and entered it as a tornado victim.......at least now I can fix a couple things that weren't quite right and can post a bunch of reconstruction pics.......

...except for this I did have a good day. I met a lot of great people at the show and sold quite a few parts too.

Edited by dannyi

Holy ###### - what a disaster!! I would be furious and have to seek out professional help. You seem to have accepted this event with grace. It does look like a natural disaster struck. How did the materials hold up? Will most of them be reusable? What areas are going to be upgraded that you weren't that happy with? This diorama is such a work of art that it deserves to be reconstructed and rebuilt. With the rebuild, this thread will be just as fascinating as ever.

On another note, I just ordered some items from you for my diorama and am looking forward to putting them to good use. I've a contest coming up on the 16th so I'll be sure to take extra precaution when transporting it.

Keep your chin up.

Edited by gasser59

I too am in Total Shock!!!! I would have never thought that you were telling me the Truth when we talked on the Phone,had you not told me to go to my Computer,and for sure, there it was, a Disaster!!!! My Heart sank into my stomache, I just looked again before I started to write this, I know like you, myself and others will have to look many times to make sure that it wasn't April 1st all over again.

I know that there aren't any words, to make you feel better, a years worth of work, almost completely ruined, ###### !!!!

I wish that there was something that I could do to help you reconstruct this piece!

But I know that I'll be there for you, to Cheer You On once again,as will others here on the Forum!

Next time have your Vendor Card Out in Front!

Mike--rctrucker

..thanks Randy and Brad......actually things held up quite well. Only a couple items broke, most just came apart. It looks like it'll be pretty much a sort and reassemble project. The only real bad thing to happen was the wall separation in the one corner. I need to clear everything out and give it a good look over. One of the things I wasn't really happy with was the heater placement. I got ahead of myself on that. It needs to go in the corner of the building, where most are put in real ones. I will reroute the piping for that. I also want to change the electrical box locations for the lights. I had the main runs coming from the back wall. I want to run them to the left side wall to a main electrical panel. That's really about it for changes, not that it was a big deal but now I have the chance to make them!

....sounds good Brad on the light shades, in fact I'm making more today, sold out of what I had at the show.....just let me know when your ready...

OMG! ... but even the disaster photos look real!

Can't believe I never commented on this because I've been in thousands of old mills in my career as a Structural Engineer and this looks as realistic as they do themselves! Comments have rightfully noted the brickwork, piping, joists and weathering as spot on and they are right .. 100%! I was impressed with the wood nailers on the steel beams! :)

And GTMust's floor comments are pretty much correct. The diagonal structural floor (bottom) was sometimes laid diagonally for stiffness and bracing of the beams. The top was always done parallel to the walls to make replacement easier and was never counted as part of the floor strength .. just a finish. Also, the flooring never contributed to the stiffness of the building as it was not attached to the walls. Part of the seismic upgrades for all these buildings is bolting the floors to the walls. This is more for bracing of the walls than anything to do with the floor.

First time browsing the dio part of this forum, and this was the first project I clicked on... and... oh...my...goodness.... that is some SERIOUS talent you have there sir! My jaw was almost hitting my keyboard scrolling through the last 6 pages of this... and all I could really think of is 2 things. First... this is just too awesome! Second, "what the bloody hell did you do to that Edsel?!?!" (being as I am buildin the Edsel right now) This is certainly a piece of art my friend.... and your attention to detail is unrivaled. Ive wanted to build dios for quite some time now, and just never really got around to it. Looking at this... you inspired me. I was putting my son to sleep last night and was thinkin on how I could make a couple of the old jackstands, think I have it planned in my head. If I get the build right, Ill be more than happy to show you how I did it. I will be watching this build from now on.. because it is absolutely breath taking and stunning!

EDITED: I went back through the pics, and noticed you did have jackstands. I was going to build more of the 4 sided, A frame types, oh well, still a fantastic job though!

..thanks Steve for the kind words and I'm glad your inspired to build! Those jack stands you saw are from the Fujimi kit. After seeing them in pictures I just don't like em. That's why I went with the wood blocks. But if you come up with a set of old ones I'd be grateful for a "how to".

Oh no! Its the earthquake of 1909 all over again! Sorry, bad pun there.... very sorry to hear what happened to your dio... it was a masterpiece... something that even Van Gogh would be hard pressed to match. But, a man of your talent should have no problem making it right again. I look foreward to it! And yes! If I figure out a way to make my stands.. Ill be more than happy to share with you! I have the design and whatnot in my head, I should put it on paper, and then go from there. Hopin to hit the HS this week to get some supplies... so as soon as I get buildin em, Ill post pics for you to see. :)

These kinds of things always happens to good people, Why? Danny, is someone that deserves a Break, I hope that this will make him more detemined to fix to it's right full Dio that it was, more likely even better then it was.

rctrucker

..thanks fellas, I know all you guys can appreciate the time and effort that goes into these kind of builds, so I'm grateful for all the encouragement and support. I'll post a damage report once I get into it again!

….decided to get a closer look at things today. All and all it held up fairly well. Amazingly nothing actually broke. Everything just came apart. Still have all the joists, beams and related materials. The joists with the lights and conduit is a jumbled up mess though. I have to completely redo the wiring. I do have a couple of bent conduit but should be able to straighten those up. For grins and giggles I plugged in the lights and all but one works!, that’s cool. The only piece I couldn’t find was the gas valve for the heater. The only real damage is at the left rear corner. That was the impact point and where the wall is completely separated. It does look like it’ll go back in place. I do have some missing brick work at the top so that’ll have to be repaired. The plaster floor held up good also. There’s a small chip near the right front and the very left front corner is broke.

Considering the fall it took I really lucked out here. Except for the wall section this should basically be a reassembly project. I’m actually looking forward to working on it. Kinda like waking up in the morning and finding a tree down in the back yard, ya can’t wait to get the chain saw fired up!

011-Copy.jpg

010-Copy.jpg

009-Copy.jpg

008-Copy.jpg

007-Copy.jpg

006-Copy.jpg

005-Copy.jpg