Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nightmare Kits CBP - aka Masochistic Modelers Anonymous

Jantrix

Man.. I was hoping to see that finished, it was looking awesome!

It might happen one day.

Funny enough I started working on my T bird last night making some repairs required and digging out parts.

Nick

Go for it, the CBP is still going.

Add me to the roster.

These are the 2 kits ive chose, dont think I need to mention why these are bad kits as im sure everyone knows what they are like.

First up is AMT's 53 Ford flip nose.After seeing what John Teresi done with this kit,It gave me some serious inspiration to have a go at trying to polish this turd of a kit

AMT53Fordpickup_zps011ecd4d.jpg

Have had a plan for this particular kit ever since I bought it.Just never built up the courage to build it due to the quality and contents.

Im hoping I can transform this poor quality kit to look somewhat similar to Tim Allens custom F100.

My Inspiration pics.

TimallenscustomF1002_zps13b04bdb.jpg

TimallenscustomF1003_zps35397e6a.jpg

And Second in line for a transformation.

Revell's 56 ford pick up.

Revell56Fordpickup_zps20e3d41f.jpg

Havent made up my mind as to what direction/style this kit will go.Most probly be another full on custom but with a less radical engine than the above plan's for the AMT kit build

yea i just finished the revell 56 and hated every second of it.....but i might try something else for this CBP

• 2 weeks later...

My 240z has turned into even more of a nightmare! Paint went all wrong due to some sort of unexpected surface "issue" (darn glue residue from 70's). Had to strip to bare plastic again and the body cracked in about 8 places! Complete start over with no time to work on it. (Throws hands up and walks out.)

I may breathe new life into my build soon, I traded some parts for a 280z body that "could" solve my poor plastic issue. We will see....

Edited by Kennyboy

• 6 months later...

Brian, this build off has pretty much died off and as it's my thread, I'm pretty much responsible for that. I lost interest and lot of others did too. As I was working on the build I realized how much easier the build would be if I'd stared with a kit with decent fitment to begin with, so I'd only have to worry about the changes I made.

Feel free to post away if you want to though.

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks Rob , I will , only i chose this kit because of this thread. There were lots of cool ideas in here (yours included) and honestly i love the premise. My father and i have had many discussions over the years about these kind of kits so i couldnt resist.

Another reason I stopped my project is because after a while my GTO was no longer recognizable as a GTO. Just a rectangular body with a GTO-ish grill. I'm going to try the idea again with a car that has a much more recognizable sides, so someone might instantly recognize it regardless of the mods.

I have changed the rules to reflect a lack of end date. You are free to continue your builds and participating in this build off to your hearts content. I'll be happy to check out and enjoy your work. If another body comes to mind for my build I will happily join you.

I never finished mine either, good to see this back. Lets see I need to make a fuel cell and I seriously don't remember what else. Maybe I can find an old picture as the ones on here mostly disappeared. Oh yeah! The Madman is Back! http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/rmvw/library/MADMAN%20%2055?sort=3&start=0&page=2DSC04827_zps4be8c1ff.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

I haven't made any progress with my El Camino either except that I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago, watched the kit's Engine Bay and put it fast back in the box. :D The reason why it stopped, is the engine bay... Inner fenders are in need of styrene and there I lost the interest. But I will try to continue it, just need to finish a couple of other ones first. I'll try to get it going again early next year.

I am so happy that this one has been extended. I have made significant progress on the '66 Rambler. I filled in the hole in the hood, and worked the body as good as it is going to be. About a month ago, I was surfing through Ebay, and there was an auction of some '66 Rambler American Parts, including an unpainted hood and trunk lid, a complete 232 6, the entire interior, including the stock console, but I believe that they are from a '64 or '65. It was not cheap, but it got me to the point where I can do some painting. I was even able to get a set of wheel covers from a derelict '67 Ambassador, which is correct for the '66 American.

And yes, I did do the Ambassador.

JoHan67Ambassador2door_zpsbe61c662.jpg

As I bought it.

MamaMeetingSept212013083_zps172efd03.jpg

Finis!!!

I will be quite happy if the American can come out half as good.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

If there's no official end date, I'll get back in on this project. About all I have left is making the headers and side pipes. I'm kinda up in the air on whether or not I should do them. I think they will help make the car look lower. But at the same time, I'm concerned about how they will look. Maybe I should see if I can lower it more with some suspension modifications before I commit to them.

026-4_zps804a7152.jpg

019-5_zpsc5a27c75.jpg

Ron, that is just beautiful. Nice save.

See Roger, that there is the reason I stopped work on the narrowed GTO. It stopped looking like a GTO. But yours, no matter the angle, that's a '57 T-bird and we can all admire the workmanship involved with the modifications.

I do have another nasty kit build in the works however. The "Lil John" Buttera, '33 Ford. When I get it back out, I'll post up some picks.

Edited by Jantrix

See Roger, that there is the reason I stopped work on the narrowed GTO. It stopped looking like a GTO. But yours, no matter the angle, that's a '57 T-bird and we can all admire the workmanship involved with the modifications.

Rob, I think your GTO would work if you made the body more of a wedge shape front to rear. Maybe widen the rear section and allow the body to drape over the rear tires a little. Since I was using a '32 Ford chassis, I took measurements from a '32 body at the cockpit area and went from there.

I cut holes in the body of my "Deucenbird" for the headers to go through. But, I don't know if I'm going to like the way it looks or not.

Edited by plowboy

I'm so happy this CBP has been extended indefinitely; That's a deadline I might be able to manage :P . So, since I'm still in this, here's what I have managed to accomplish:

In my typical style of defying convention, I started at the rear. I've added some detail to the underside of the trunk lid and frenched the license plate.

trunk_04_zps406a30d1.jpg

SBS1_17_zps503308da.jpg

And a little lower down, I modified the rear end from Revell's Tommy Ivo showboat and added some RB Motion coil overs.

Chassis_04_zpsd9894deb.jpg

Next, in defiance of my own defiance :blink: , I moved up to the front end and opened up the grilles.

IMG_2634_zps498dfff9.jpg

SBS2_8_zpseaa2d407.jpg

I've also started modifying the frame to accommodate some monster pro street tires from SMBC out back and a more modern suspension up front.

Chassis_06_zpsb15a0208.jpg

Incidentally, the front suspension is one of the peeves I have with this kit. One of the major innovations and selling points of the '39 Chevy was the "knee action" front suspension yet the kit has a solid front axle set up.

More updates as they (slowly) happen.

• 1 month later...

Nick, that looks great. Nice save! Looks like you started with one of those models that the original builder assembled the complete chassis and engine and sprayed the entire assembly flat black. Then assembled the entire interior and sprayed it one color without any further thought to detailing anything. Yea, great model builder :P

Al gave me a R&R resin 1960 Valiant wagon that had a similar touch. The entire interior bucket was sprayed flat black. There was no prep whatsoever on the body, it was just sprayed blue over bare resin. The builder then didn't like his work, so he decided to sand off the paint... yea, he gave up after he sanded one side completely flat, ruining the body. Man, I'm happy I learned to build from good mentors!