Model Cars Magazine Forum

HO scale!

2002p51

Seems to be mostly 1/25 scale drag cars on here so I thought I'd shake things up a little.

I recently dug out all my old Aurora A/FX stuff from 25 - 30 years ago and I have been amazed what's out on the market these days.

Most of the cars I did back then were hand painted because that's all we had. I have now found a lot of decals available on eBay have begun repainting some.

Buddy Baker Charger:

fotki0020-vi.jpg

Petty Roadrunner:

fotki0021-vi.jpg

Cale Yarborough Chevelle:

fotki0022-vi.jpg

The rest of these were all done 25 years or more ago. And these are all hand painted.

Benny Parsons Chevelle.

fotki0023-vi.jpg

Bobby Allison Matador:

fotki0024-vi.jpg

I made this modified from something else. :) (Been so long I can't remember what it started out as!)

fotki0025-vi.jpg

This Camaro has obviously seen some hard racing! :)

fotki0026-vi.jpg

I do remember that the fender flares and nose are made from card stock.

All told I have about 30 cars and, amazingly, with a little clean up they all still run and run fast!

So, how about it? Can we get a little love for HO slot cars?

Got any? Post 'em up!

Great stuff. Found my old AFX slot set from the '70s at my Mom's, and had the original Mustang from the set along with my much loved Petty Charger.

Actually just prepped a Monza funny car body for paint last night, getting the mounting posts and body support done, and trimming and sanding resin flash. Have a Vega funny car to do as well. Plan to put them up on here when finished.

Have fun with those, a whole new hobby, huh..

This used to be my other hobby till the guy who ran the racetracks had to shut it all down. He carried service parts for about everything as well as hop-up parts for some of the more common brands, so the majority of my cars run very well. He also offered three different sizes (height) of black silicone slicks, which were a godsend to most of those cars. My Tyco II cars (button pickups) with low rear tires were a blast to drive.

I bought one just like this little beast shortly before he closed. http://slotcarcollectibles3.homestead.com/files/Tomy_bk_SauberMerc2.JPG

It was fast to begin with, but I added about $100.00 worth of hop-up parts (gold-plated pick-up shoes, better armature, better magnets, pneumatic rear tires on alloy wheels) and it flat flew. The problem was, that black body made it impossible to keep track of while racing.

IIRC, there's at least one business that offers special wheels & inserts for both original ThunderJet cars as well as the Magna-Traction cars of the mid-70s.

I have a spare room that's 12x9, and i've been considering getting back into slots but what I could build in there would never match my old setup. I had three 4x8 sheets of plywood set up in a U shape and a four lane track that just covered it all over.

Love the Petty team cars.