Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag Racing cars - how to open doors (detail)

DWR

I would like to know if anyone has made a tutorial or has some detail photos on opening and hinging doors on prostock cars. I am also looking for similar information on how to model the removable front end (fenders and grill assemble) on these cars as well. I have seen some photos but I don't know if you have to scratch build the inner door panels and cannot figure out how to hang the front assembly for display.

If you search the tips section Mr. Obssesive (Bill) has put up a pretty detailed tutorial on how to do the doors I think somewhere about a year ago.

As for the front fender/grill, your going to have to make your own inner panels.

When cutting (opening) any panels take your time use any number of tools to scrape the plastic out making a groove until you "break" though.To help with getting around corners use a mini drill bit making a series of holes as close together as possible then once all other areas are done you can flex the shell and panel to break the remaining bits, then sand the area to smooth.

There is more then one way to achieve clean cut panels, figure out what works best for you. And ALWAYS try a junk body first until your happy with the results.