Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT & Revell Parts Packs Engines

Daf57

What's funny about the AMT Chevy and Pontiac engines is although they include stock style intake manifolds they donot include fans nor fan belts and generators so they can't be used in stock configuration while the Revelle engne kits have the parts for stock use including distributors to replace the magneto's.

Actually, given the era in which those parts packs were first released--the kids who were expected to buy them were clamoring for completely chrome-plated engines.

Art

IIRC, there were some kits produced back in the day with chromed engines. All the better for those hot rods and customs that could be seen at car shows. I'd like to see some of the trailers and the Wheel Horse tractors that MPC produced brought back as parts paks.

I can remember in around '66 or so when our local Woolworth's (remember those?) had a model car contest, & the winning car was kept by the store for display purposes, & my Uncle who was assistant manager got the model when they were through with it. Well back to what I was going to say in the first place, the entire model (except for the AMT '29 Model A Ford roadster body) was built using Revell parts packs, it had the tubular drag car frame, with the Cadillac engine, drag wheels & tires, it even used the "show car" stanchions, & display items. the body was converted into a one piece tilt up style ala modern Funny Cars, it was a really nice model the only thing that was painted on the thing was a couple of detail items like the seat, & some pieces on the engine like the magneto, & the body, that was done in a bright yellow, & the entire deal was mounted on a piece of red velvet covered wood for a base, with the show standards, & some silver "piping thread" between them it made for a very impressive display.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but Revell issued 3 double-car kits in '63 that were nothing BUT parts pack trees: #H-1223 Sanitary 'T'Bucket / Mooneyes dragster; #H1222 Scarlet Screamer / Bantam Bomber and #H1221 Thunder Charger / Fumin Fiat.

The parts packs were actually engineered to go together into the models offered in the double-kits, and the instructions included ideas for bashing into different cars.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but Revell issued 3 double-car kits in '63 that were nothing BUT parts pack trees: #H-1223 Sanitary 'T'Bucket / Mooneyes dragster; #H1222 Scarlet Screamer / Bantam Bomber and #H1221 Thunder Charger / Fumin Fiat.

The parts packs were actually engineered to go together into the models offered in the double-kits, and the instructions included ideas for bashing into different cars.

From Bob Black's excellent DPMCC Model car Instructions site ( http://www.thedpmcc....tionsintro.html ) :

See: http://public.fotki....l-sanitary-t-b/

ucketandRevellMooneyesDragster-vi.jpgFile4-vi.jpg

See: http://public.fotki....l-scarlet-scre/

tScreamerandBantamBomberBoxart-vi.jpg001-vi.jpg

See: http://public.fotki....l-fumin-fiat-c/

VELLFuminFiatandThunderCharger-vi.jpgFile4-vi.jpg

I picked up Revell parts pack kit C1124 Dragster Speed Equipment..

Only problem is it's in a Blown '58 Chrysler V-8 Engine package.

Couldn't pass it up..it was a whole dollar.What I saw was the two

quick change set ups.. the Moon tank and gas pedal.

My question is does anyone have a pic of the back of the Dragster

Speed package..I couldn't find it on Bob's Fotki.

Thanks

I picked up Revell parts pack kit C1124 Dragster Speed Equipment..

Only problem is it's in a Blown '58 Chrysler V-8 Engine package.

Couldn't pass it up..it was a whole dollar.What I saw was the two

quick change set ups.. the Moon tank and gas pedal.

My question is does anyone have a pic of the back of the Dragster

Speed package..I couldn't find it on Bob's Fotki.

Thanks

You got the deal of the week. I've got a few of them...can send you a pic if you still need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finally picked up the Firestone Champions tire set from AMT/round2, & noticed that on the back of the package it says to watch for more parts packs & engines, tires in the future, does anyone have any particulars on what they are planning for us. I love the idea of bringing a few of the oldies back, but there are a few engines, etc from the modern era that would be nice to have as separate kits too.

Bernard and the rest following thsi thread - Some years back, I set out to build a couple of these cars, using the PartsPacks I had accumluated rather than the mega-expensive kits (I had grabbed one of these kits many years ago before they began to command triple digit prices).

I soon found out that Revell had made subtle changes to some of the Parts Packs that were included in the Double Kits to allow them to actually fit together as a complete model. They weren't big changes, and there weren't alot of changes, but comparing the kits and the Parts Packs side by side, there WERE some changes.

Alas, I don't remember exactly what the changes were.

Best regards...TIM

• 1 year later...

I just picked up 2 of these on eBay for basically a song. I got a Chevy 283 and a Pontiac 421. I thought it was cool that they offered a couple of versions of these motors to make things a little more interesting. How many of you guys have used these and what can I expect for detail? Not all that fond of the "all chrome" idea, but I can paint to suit if I need/want to. What say the masses? Should I just relegate them to the parts box, of use them in a build?

Thanks, John

IIRC.....these are the Revell parts pack Pontiac's.......They have a great effort at being detailed...but they are so old....they come off OK. Odd parts break down. I stripped most of the chrome. Just OK....

RELLA003-vi.jpg

Note that the headers do not line up with exhaust....but being a showrod.....would not be the first time!!!

RELLA004-vi.jpg

in my opinion, the Revell Parts Pack engines are some of the best pieces in the universe. A lot of folks say they're "fiddly", but if you take your time and fit everything straight and square, you just can NOT get a better engine. Details are correct and crisp, and most of them have speed-parts for multiple build-options.

The chrome comes off easy with Easy-Off oven cleaner. One minor problem...some of the re-issued packs have excessive sink-marks. So far I've been able to correct them with a little putty, but when it happens on a finned valve cover (for instance) you'll have to raid the parts stash for replacements.

Once again, these make BEAUTIFUL engines.

The AMT engine packs are even better.

DSCN4808.jpg

The Pontiac is basically the same engine that's in the Challenger kit...

DSCN7860.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I use Revell Parts Pak motors all the time. The blocks in particular have excellent detail. The speed parts are a bit oddball at times, they are definitely from the early 60's, But they build up beautifully and free me from the tyranny of kit engines. I buy them cheaply in multiples on eBay. I always strip them of chrome except the parts that would be chromed in a show car application. The one I've used least is the 427 Ford, but the other 3 commonly available varieties, the 283 Chevy small block, the Cadillac 354 V8 and the 421 Pontiac, are in constant rotation among my builds. There are other motors that Revell issued originally which are now extremely rare, among them a Buick Nailhead, a 392 Chrysler Hemi and an injected '63 Corvette V8. Here's a link to web site that has a nice look back at old Parts Packs from various manufacturers: http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/partspacks.htm

A note in passing: I think the header mismatch in the post above using the Pontiac engines involved using the Parts Pack 427 Ford headers on them. The Parts Pack headers for the Pontiac are shown (although stripped of chrome) in the picture below

Here are a few examples of motors I've built. Most are modified to some degree from the Parts Pack version:

421 Pontiac:

DSCF0841-web.jpg

DSCF4515-web.jpg

283 Chevy:

DSCF1109-web.jpg

DSCF9623-web.jpg

454 Caddy:

DSCF0370-web.jpg

DSCF1990-web.jpg

427 Ford:

DSCF1890-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks guys! I kinda thought they were decent from all the pics I've seen on eBay, but I've never seen one built. It looks like I have something to look forward to when they get here. Hey Bernard, where can I get one of those engine stands? I had one a gazillion yrs. ago, but I'll be dipped if have it now. Got rid of all my 60's and 70's kits when I got married in '79 Sure do wish I still had 'em...sigh

Thanks again gents,

John

... Hey Bernard, where can I get one of those engine stands? I had one a gazillion yrs. ago, but I'll be dipped if have it now. Got rid of all my 60's and 70's kits when I got married in '79 Sure do wish I still had 'em...sigh...

The George Jetson style one comes in the AMT '49 Ford Coupe kit IIRC and the simpler utility stand is in a whole lot of the early AMT 3-in-1's, Mine all come from AMT '39-'40 Fords of various flavors. I love 'em for these detail photographs...

then there is the mysterious case of the revell "mooneyes" small block chevy (as used in the Mooneyes dragster and also available in parts pack):

9qqh.jpg

wlee.jpg

versus the (imo) superior AMT SBC that also somehow could be built into a front blower swept back pipe version remarkably similar to Revell's!

g80v.jpg

xizb.jpg

There are other motors that Revell issued originally which are now extremely rare, among them a Buick Nailhead, a 392 Chrysler Hemi and an injected '63 Corvette V8.

Bernard....cool recap.

FWIW, the 392 Hemi is rebopped in the Revell Miss Deal kit. It's identical as far as I can tell, except for the different exhaust headers, and the point that all the pieces are chromed in the Parts Pack version, vs. only those you'd actually want chromed in the Miss Deal kit.

I agree that the 327 Chevy Parts Pack is the hardest to find.

Also, I haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance if I'm repeating something already said but many of Revell's full model kits of the early 60's contained engines that were designed in the same manner as their Parts Pack engines. I'm particularly fond of the Cadillac in the Outlaw kit (which is similar to the Parts Pack Cad but has different building options including the intake manifold/carb setup), the blown Olds in the Beatnik Bandit (some really cool parts on that one), and even the 409 Chevy optional engine in the original Revell '55 Chevy kit.

In any case, like others have said here, these Revell Parts Packs are cool engines, with excellent period-correct speed accessories, that are generally a fun and authentic build.

TIM

then there is the mysterious case of the revell "mooneyes" small block chevy (as used in the Mooneyes dragster and also available in parts pack):

versus the (imo) superior AMT SBC that also somehow could be built into a front blower swept back pipe version remarkably similar to Revell's!

J.B., gotta agree with you completely on this one. The AMT Mooneyes is clearly superior, particularly in the exhaust headers rendition. Nice builds btw! TIM

>you should use the Attempt 1 chassis

I think the attempt 1 chassis is aka "dragmaster" chassis part pack...primary difference vs the "mooneyes" chassis is that the dragmaster includes the upper hoops (under cowl at its front and rear) and for some strange reason those chassis hoops are not present on the Mooneyes version. very strange. and of course the attempt 1 version has different side panels than the mooneyes or the dragmaster versions but that is body panel and not chassis itself.

edit: just checked (looked at photos) and I don't think the attempt 1 chassis does have those upper hoops...that leaves the dragmaster parts pack chassis as the best to use for the mooneyes dragster unless someone knows something I don't on the matter...

jb

Edited by jbwelda