Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of MPC's Dodge D/W Series Trucks

Fabrux

On 7/26/2018 at 5:02 PM, Casey said:

I wonder if the insert(?) for the '72-'78 style 'birdbath' hood was lost at some point? The 'Ram Tuff' monster truck included a modified Baja hood, but both the stock and custom hoods seem to have been included with all or most of the '72-78 issues.

The 'Ram Tuff' kit still includes the pre-'79 style cab, correct?

The RC2 era Lil Red Express reissues suggest the '79 cab is a separate part of the tooling.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2013 at 9:34 PM, Casey said:

I am still puzzled why MPC opted to include 1/20 scale tires and wheels for the early off-rad versions. 

MPC  was cutting  tooling costs. They took the 8 lug wheels off their  1/20 Ford Van, widen them and modified the hubs. No explanation of the low profile street tread tires, which, IMO, were a joke. Here is one built back in the day, but tires were upgraded to Formula Desert Dogs that fit the 8 lug rims very well.

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

On 1/1/2014 at 11:31 PM, Nick Winter said:

Was at a friends, between the two of us we have all but the Above off-road Camper, the '77 Annual and the Monster trucks (I have parts of them)

I Couldn't resist asking to look at everyone of them, of which I did, for historical purposes.

GEDC1669_zpsda6dc388.jpg

Id love to have those...Id feel like a kid again...LOL..!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, alexis said:

I need one of the '73-74 kits to re-create my Grandfathers 1973 3/4 ton Camper Special.

I'm sick of the car style full wheelcovers that came with most 70's MPC, AMT Chevy, Ford and Dodge 2WD pickups. Their definition of stock, was the top of the line optional full wheelcover.  Thanks Moebius for breaking the mold, by actually offering   HUBPCAPS on most of your pickups. We need Dodge 3/4 ton hubcaps in resin! IMO, the '72-'73 grill was the best looking, followed by '74-'76, went downhill '77 +

IMG_5628.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been searching this forum for a while now but not found the answer to what I'm looking for so I will ask here.

The front and rear suspension in the LRE, is that different from other 2wd versions of the kit?
I ask because I see that there is a deffinate rake to the truck but I'm not sure if it is the front that is lowered or the rear that has been lifted.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Atmobil said:

I have been searching this forum for a while now but not found the answer to what I'm looking for so I will ask here.

The front and rear suspension in the LRE, is that different from other 2wd versions of the kit?
I ask because I see that there is a deffinate rake to the truck but I'm not sure if it is the front that is lowered or the rear that has been lifted.

I think the 2wd front suspension was always the same. I think the LRE had a rake because the rear springs were bigger for the LRE 2wd than the stock 2wd rear springs for the older longbeds. It's possible that to create the rake, the LRE uses the 4wd rear springs, while the old annual 2wd's used lower/ smaller rear springs. I seem to remember that the older annuals that had options for 2wd and 4wd in the same box had different rear springs for each version, but I have not been able to verify this yet.

I have an old (but really, really clean) 72-73 built at home that was done as a 2wd and it sits level. Also, I think I have a '73 Instruction sheet at home. I'll have to take a look at them tonight and see if the rear springs for the old annuals are different than the LRE rear springs & post my findings.  

Edited by CapSat 6
clarity

Here it is. Different rear springs for the 2wd version. In the ‘73 instructions, they’re called out as part # 7. Also, I found some clean samples of these parts. I’m fairly certain all of the LRE’s got the 4wd rear springs, giving them their rake: 

F350ACD7-E926-4CE0-B816-519CBC358B46.jpeg

C90942CD-4A01-45B4-AEE7-09ECF722E90D.jpeg

0E9F594A-8773-476E-98E2-6AB1CD0DB21F.jpeg

11 hours ago, Casey said:

RC2 era '78 LRE suspension parts:

RC2LRE1.thumb.jpg.c85d81b58f6b00660a617a3f2a51ec62.jpg

I guess that means the 2WD rear leaf springs are good for good.

To me, the 2wd springs would not be much of a loss... for one, they look really spindly under a pickup, and also, my memories of these trucks back when they were new were that, much like many other pickups, their natural stance was with a slight rake forward when the bed was unloaded, because once the bed was loaded, it would drop a few inches. The LRE/ 4wd rear springs can be modified pretty easily to lower the rear end a bit if necessary.

It will be interesting to see if Round 2 uncovers many of the older parts, and if they decide to recombine elements of this tool to do other versions. If the 2wd parts are included with the 4wd parts,  that would be great, but there also are many LRX kits out there in case they are not. I remember the LRX kits being deeply discounted on closeout at several toy chains in the 90's. Right now, the LRX's prices are at a premium, but once the new kit is released, that should hopefully calm down a good bit.     

Thanks for helping me out guys. Now I now what I need to do make the LRE truck sit level:)
I think that the rear springpacks are not that spindly for a D100, here you can see a picture of the springs on my own 65 D100:
IMG_0368_resize.jpg
The rear springs are the upper ones in the photo, just four leafs on these. A higher GVW would give more springs. My D100 has the second to lowest capasity that they came with in 65 with a rear spring capasity at 1400lbs:
IMG_0197.jpg
The D100 could be had with 1100lbs, 1400lbs and 1750lbs in 65.
I guess the same goes for the 70s versions and a 72 D100 could easily have nearly the same GVW rating and spring capasity as my 65.

It's a good thing that it is the rear that is lifted rather than the front lowered. It is much easier to modify or replace the rear springs that to lift the front suspension on this one.

• 5 months later...

I am loving the new kit. I've sourced the 8-Lug Rims/Tires from Scenes Unlimited, and now I'm going after a Resin '73 Grill. I'm starting on making my copy of Grampa's Truck.  I'm pleased with how clean the parts in my kit are. Some tool cleanup was done, and it shows.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

I am loving the new kit. I've sourced the 8-Lug Rims/Tires from Scenes Unlimited, and now I'm going after a Resin '73 Grill. I'm starting on making my copy of Grampa's Truck.  I'm pleased with how clean the parts in my kit are. Some tool cleanup was done, and it shows.

Check with Kris Morgan at MAD resin, I think he is casting that 73/74 Grille, not sure if it's on his website yet.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't throw those big old mpc wheels and tires out yet...

some racer boys like 'em  :P

DSCN1021.jpg

and here's a pic to show how the box stayed with the same measurements til '92 and an idea of the shortbox fore and aft proportion for those making their own.

DSCN1022.jpg

Edited by mk11

On 11/29/2018 at 1:19 PM, Casey said:

Compare the above chrome plated parts to the '79 "Pumping Iron" reissue to see what changed:

79dodgepu.jpg.3f50923e76d4b8db41d5a459ffa96d43.jpg

I sure would like to find the grille and hood out of this version. Buddy of mine owns a 1/1 1979 Little red his parents bought new.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 8:15 PM, mk11 said:

Don't throw those big old mpc wheels and tires out yet...

some racer boys like 'em  :P

DSCN1021.jpg

and here's a pic to show how the box stayed with the same measurements til '92 and an idea of the shortbox fore and aft proportion for those making their own.

DSCN1022.jpg

According to the brochures I checked, the short bed is 20" shorter than the long bed.  16" of that is ahead of the rear wheels (which shortens the wheelbase by a like amount), the other 4" is behind the rear wheels.

IIRC, the lower boxside measurements I took were approx 21" front and rear.

Kind of an unfortunate faux-pas on the modelhaus shortbox... someone forgot to section the rear half  ^_^

76dgmdlhs (2).jpg

Edited by mk11

• 1 year later...

One interesting thing I noticed when I started building my 2003 reissue LRE kit is it has the 1981+ door panels (my 1994 issue does as well). Based on the history on page one, I'm guessing they maybe updated the interior for the Thunderstruck kit, and then didn't back-date it for the LRE reissues? Anyone have an original issue LRE kit that they can get a picture of the door panels?