Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Jewel T Altered

edboys

Got the opportunity to center the trans and engine today. I will need this in order to line up the drive train in the frame. Having the 1/16" (.062) aluminum rod running through the whole assembly will help to place it in the frame rails and make connection with the rear end.

JewelTDriveTrain9_zps5e9a9969.jpg

These are still the master parts for the transmission and as soon as some more minor tweaks are complete then a mold will be made.

JewelTDriveTrain10_zps328e3f7a.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words. I have a long way to go with this build and would like to have it done by June. I just did a Google search for how the Torqueflite is joined to a BBC and now I have to create an adapter plate. I realized there was a problem with the fit as the starter is on the wrong side for the Torqueflite and the adapter puts it on the correct side for the BBC. Important as the Jewel T employed the starter. Story told by owner is that when opponent would play games on the starting line, Jim Davis would shut off the engine, wait for them to stage, restart the engine and not suffer from over-heating.

Casey, Being that the parts had been glued together by a previous builder, I soaked them in brake fluid for about 5 days and this not only will help remove paint but also seems to crystalize the left over glue, making it easier to get glue parts separated. I was able to get the parts clean of the glue residue and then proceeded to soak them again in Bleach White for an additional 6 days. Bleach White will eliminate the chrome finish in just a few minutes, but it takes a much longer time to get the carrier film (brown stuff) off. I use these two processes all the time to save old builds as well as my regular builds.

Probably micro managing here by showing small parts, but here is the manual overide for the Torqueflite trans and where it is located on the tail piece.

JewelTDriveTrain11_zpse0072179.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain12_zpsce6b4412.jpg

Mold that was made for both the Mopar and Olds rear ends. Soon I have all the parts I need to get the Jewel's rear put together.

JewelTDriveTrain21_zpsd8d09d51.jpg

This is the mold for the various brake parts that I have done and the brake drum parts are included here as well as disc brake parts.

JewelTDriveTrain22_zpsba137daf.jpg

When I started out disc brakes seemed like the proper parts that would be used on the Jewel T Altered, but late found out that in fact drum brakes were used instead. So, just for grins and giggles I am showing what will not appear on the build. Too bad as these would have look very nice. All is not lost as I usually make molds of everything I do and will find another build for these later.

BrakeSystem1_zps227dc682.jpg

BrakeSystem2_zpse2813f89.jpg

BrakeSystem4_zpse0328b31.jpg

BrakeSystem3_zpscabf10cd.jpg

Brad, any of my parts are available for those that are interested. Once I pull a few from the mold and make sure they meet expectation I begin to put together a stash. I want to be able to put together a package that will include the rear ends as well as individual caliper/drum sets. Hopefully, that won't take too long.

Chris, Thanks for your encouragement. Everytime I look at your page I get all kinds of ideas, just don't have enough time to get to all of them. Your build is intense.

• 2 weeks later...

Molds are complete and here are the resin parts for the rear end. Also included are the wheels I developed and with some mods will be using them for this build. Next step is to add the attachment ears to the rear end so the ladder bars can be properly placed on the frame. This will help me locate the rest of the uprights for the frame.

JewelTDriveTrain23_zps2b0e279b.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain24_zps3a32bae0.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain25_zps96f9460c.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain26_zps3eaa1c0d.jpg

Drum & backing plate placed in the wheel.

JewelTDriveTrain27_zps3aa72d09.jpg

Fit up of the wheels to rear end assembly.

JewelTDriveTrain28_zps75a2a0ed.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain29_zps80b1fc05.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain30_zps886f514d.jpg

Wheels and rear end assembly

JewelTDriveTrain31_zps885fa104.jpg

More progress getting the rear end assembly done. Once the rod ends were complete the mount plates could be developed. I wanted the rear end mount brackets to be folded or supported and this is how they look, done on one side. Next pix will show the rear end in position.

JewelTDriveTrain32_zps2a89ca7c.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain33_zpsd36263d9.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain34_zpsb48b9ad5.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain35_zps04e39d2f.jpg

JewelTDriveTrain36_zps3fab70be.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Working up the 12-spoke wheels and have the first half completed. Created a master spoke, then did a mold to get six exact copies and prepped a Revell dragster front wheel rim to accept the spokes. I still have to cut off the back side of the rim and then size the half wheel before doing yet another mold. Putting two halves together will yield the 12-spoke I'm after.

12SpokeWheel1_zps09834388.jpg

12SpokeWheel2_zps0b1d79e8.jpg

12SpokeWheel3_zpsb8af980c.jpg

WOW!

Makes my cars look like I used Play-doh to build them out of.

You can of course feel free to send me those brake set ups you aren't using :)

I really like those front wheels so far.

Awesome workmanship as usual.

Edited by Bonekrosha