Model Cars Magazine Forum

Woodn't - NNL Here I Come!

FASTBACK340

Thanks Rich. I've been thinking of our friend the entire build ;)

Yeah, I'm finally enjoying building again. I was at the bench for about 2hours last night fabricating a dropped front axle from brass. I'll try & post pictures later tonight.

Dare I say it, but I might sctually have something for NNL East !

Thanks Steve. Been a while since we last spoke (model car list days?)

The Woody will be on hiatus till the weekend. Today me & the Mrs. are celebrating our 10th. wedding anniversary. Then I'll try & finish this for NNL East.

Edited by FASTBACK340

It's been a busy week, but I did manage to make it to my LHS and stock up on some brass. I'm building this as a curbside, so where I'm not detailing the chassis or interior, I'll make up for it where I can. I'm fabricating the dropped axle and springs from brass. Some of the small brackets for the spring mounts are from a fret of brass military photo-etch I picked up who knows where or when. Here's a few progress shots. I'm taking a break as my old eyes are getting tired. I've started using my lighted magnifier I've owned for 15 years, but never turned on..... :(WoodyFront_Axle_1006-vi.jpgWoodyFront_Axle_1009-vi.jpgWoodyFront_Axle_1010-vi.jpg I'll be back.... :)

I can see see this going to be a very cool project. A very refreshing idea for a woody. That front axle's looking pretty good too.

If it's a "Wouldn't", does that mean you'll be painting the wood frame work to represent metal of fiberglass? Are you leaving the metal bare? (I hope!)

Edited by Psychographic

If it's a "Wouldn't", does that mean you'll be painting the wood frame work to represent metal of fiberglass? Are you leaving the metal bare? (I hope!)

Exactly....... ;)

I don't want to give it all away just yet, but there's not going to be much Wood anywhere near this thing.

John that front end is gonna look GREAT......you're a madman..!!

Thanks Rich! I'm anxious to build something that's "me" and not pre-painted :)

BTW: If anyone has any decent site suggestions for Ardun detail shots, please pass it on. That's where I do my best work.... and I'd rather not make s mistake due to unfamiliarity. :)

After I run my Mother-in-law home after dinner I'm planning on working tonight. We're both off tomorrow (going to opening day at CitiField) so it can be a late night. Details to follow.....

I wonder if Bill has a scrap bucket as heavy as mine.....

I fought with the radius arms and ended up making a new axle. I didn't make nearly the progress I wanted to last night, but am making progress. I have to focus harder.....

Thanks everyone for the encouragement ;)

OK, it's been a busy week. Between birthdays, ball games,dinner out, work, and haggling with contractors I haven't had time for the hobby room. I didn't sleep good last night, so tonight I hit the hobby room for a while to totally cross my eyes and insure a good nights sleep.....

I have the front axle kingpins mounted and finished.

WoodyAxleRadius002-vi.jpg

Tonight I drilled the axle and made a set of radius rods.

WoodyAxleRadius001-vi.jpg

WoodyAxleRadius007-vi.jpg

The triangular pieces of square tube will become the spindles. That will have to wait until tomorrow night.

WoodyAxleRadius008-vi.jpg

I'm trying...I'm trying.... I know NNL East is 2 weeks away.

WoodyAxleRadius009-vi.jpg

If it turns out the way I'm picturing it.... ;)

Love Letters/Hate Mail welcome :)

OK, made a little more progress this morning. And man, am I having FUN!

In our last update I had roughed in the dropped axle. This morning I made the radius rods, steering knuckles, and tie rod. Here we go:

I soldered a length of brass rod to a short piece of brass tubing. The tubing will be bolted to the frame rail.

Woody_Steering001-vi.jpg

Then I took a length of 1/4" square brass tube. After carefully planning my cuts & holes, I cut away eveything that didn't look like a steering knuckle... ;)

Woody_Steering003-vi.jpg

Here's both knuckles cut & cleaned up

Woody_Steering004-vi.jpg

Woody_Steering005-vi.jpg

I also had to make a tie rod assembly. Sorry Bill, it's not adjustable :)

Woody_Steering007-vi.jpg

Here's the axle mocked-up w/ straight pins. RB Motion .062 bolts will be used.

Woody_Steering005-vi.jpg

Woody_Steering010-vi.jpg

Hopefully I'll have her up on her paws tomorrow. Then we shoehorn in the engine, and start detailing it.

To be continued..... :o

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I'm really having fun. It's just frustrating getting everything sorted & organized, but it's a good feeling to start buulding again.

I fab'ed the spindles, but ran out of Butane for my soldering iron so I'm stuck until the morning. I also want to thin out the tie rod arms on the knuckles. I might also take a small detour with some details, but for the better. This is too cool to hack together.

Tomorrow we continue......stay tuned! :)

Well, all the fabricating is done for the front axle except for the drag link. Tomorrow we plant the engine between the frame rails. Going slower than I want it to....

Here's all the pieces. I had to make new radius rods...

Woody_Axle2001-vi.jpg

I re-shaped the tie rod links

Woody_Axle2003-vi.jpg

The brake rotors are actually washers from an Infiniti G37 transmission valve body. Pretty cool, huh?

Woody_Axle2004-vi.jpg

As awlays, love letters/hate mail welcome