Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Thanks, I know a lot of people are saying they have warped parts, but I looked everything over real good last night and I cant see any warping and flash is minimal as well.

I bought one a couple of months ago. Everything is fine with mine. No warpage I can see.

Scott Aho

What did I get today? A new contract! I'm working as a consultant and was on a 6 month contract that was done the end of this month. I did have some concerns that I'd wind up unemployed and didn't want to go there again. At the end of a meeting today the boss told me to get them a new proposal and they'd cut me a purchase order. Yea! Work is good!

Couple of things recently. Got my first foray into admitting my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was a kid. Well actually I've worn glasses/contacts since I was a kid, it's more like I actually care about small details, whereas I didn't as a kid.

14208564220_41a5cff0c9_b.jpgDSC01709 (1280x700) by niteowl7710, on Flickr

I've seen several complaints recently about a visor set that looks just like that one being cheap and useless, but the one I have is actually the brand new Carson Opticals OptiVisor Pro; not the made in China, sold through Spain half-baked (and half-priced) knock-off. Being the eyepieces are cut by an actual Optics company, they are crystal clear and virtually perfect. The other one that I know people are fan of, I don't care for the "wearing a ViewMaster" looks or claustrophobic feeling of losing my peripheral vision with the visor pulled down. This one the lens itself is mounted to a swivel piece that swings it forward out of the way, or backwards into the visor part for storage. The three LED light is blindingly bright to look into directly (whoops), pivots and swivels and comes off the visor and is magnetic and can be place on the workbench surface for light pretty much anywhere. I've tested it out and I like it, we'll see how it stands up to actual use.

Also this pile of kits...

14208507529_9d8de973fc_b.jpgDSC01710 (750x1280) by niteowl7710, on Flickr

They are (top to bottom)- Won at Club Raffle, Picked up at LHS, bought from Hobby Search, won on eBay, bought from a friend, and won on eBay. The two Mercs which I together paid less than I would for either individually on eBay most days complete my collection of "Factory & Factory Tuner" twin kits. I know have the S500, S600, & 600 SEL in both regular and AMG packaging. Those SEL took about 18 months to secure, but then both happened in the same week. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

Just found this on a local Facebook county garage sale site (it poped up at 8:30 pm i had it by 9:15 pm). Its a medical tool box, yeah its pink (it came from Vanderbilt hospital), i had been looking for one of these for my model building supplies. Paid a whopping.........40.00! Oh and when the woman asked me what i was going to use it for she asked me if i wanted the Camaro kit for free! She said there is about a hundred more in her attic too. She said her husband used to paint the bodys for someone but he never built them. Fingers crossed it turns out to be true!!!

14392029331_ee20ffe348_c.jpg20140610_215905 by jrherald420, on Flickr

Picked this up from hobby lobby. last one they had left, and I used my 40% off coupon! Under $25 is a win in my book. I'm not a builder of big trucks, but this seemed essential for my hot rods!

IMAG0169_zpsznshyxzl.jpg

I need to get one of these. I have never had one and always liked it..

I bought a buddy one of the new 2014 Mustang Boss 302 kits in exchange for many parts and kits that he has given me over the years. He took the engine and tranny out and gave me the rest of the kit back! I guess I will build it as a curbside. What a nice kit.

Later-

'61 Pontiac body arrived today WITH (thankfully minor, but still) glue spots on the tail panel that the seller denied it had. Off to the purple bath to see if that flat black will come off, and to decide how to best patch the two bodies together to make one good one.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Wife and I went to the movies today and since there is a Hobby Lobby right across the way I had to go. Got the stuff you see in the photo. Two of the cans of paint were marked down to 2.22. They had about 15 cans all together. I think I will go back next week and buy whatever is left if there is any. Ya gotta love those 40 % coupons. With my wife and I splitting up the purchase I got all this for 30 bucks !

painttoday001_zps30106851.jpg

I got the Polar Lights Spider-Man VW Beetle. It's actually pretty cool once you toss the stickers and remember that this is the California Custom Beetle version that was supposed to follow the Herbie Love Bug release. It just didn't get done when PL got sold back then. It has several sets of custom wheels and the correct VW emblem hub caps. It has other neat options like custom buckets and steering wheel, custom exhaust and two sets of mirrors (round or rectangular) to choose from.

I will be doing a kit review later on.. already have it written, just need to word smith and take some photos. But it's too nice out today to do that now! :)

About a week ago I got two sets of decals to do a 1978 Dodge Midnite Express Truck to go with my [font color=f4150f]Lil Red Express Truck
And yesterday I got a set of decals in for a Davey Allison NASCAR that I'm building for a buddy of mine and I picked some Alclad Polished Brass and some red paint.......

IMG_6869_zpsebc5d250.jpg

I got the Polar Lights Spider-Man VW Beetle. It's actually pretty cool once you toss the stickers and remember that this is the California Custom Beetle version that was supposed to follow the Herbie Love Bug release. It just didn't get done when PL got sold back then. It has several sets of custom wheels and the correct VW emblem hub caps. It has other neat options like custom buckets and steering wheel, custom exhaust and two sets of mirrors (round or rectangular) to choose from.

I will be doing a kit review later on.. already have it written, just need to word smith and take some photos. But it's too nice out today to do that now! :)

I'm interested in see your review. I've been wondering about what really comes in the box of that kit?

Scott Aho

Edited by unclescott58

Looking forward to your review, also, Tom. I bought one of these kits to co-build with my grandson. I certainly have some hard-fought thoughts about the marketing concept of this one!

Cruising rummage sales yesterday and I came across a Paasche VL airbrush set for $10. It followed me home. Now I have to actually learn to use it. It's a nice double action set with all the accessories; hoses, jars, and other parts. No idea what they cost new, but he wanted $15 for it and I offered the $10. Beets the Aztec set I got burned on that I paid $50 for that was useless.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...