Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curious; why are there so few tuner classes at a lot of model shows/contests?

I'm 50, and grew up with Muscle Cars, and have owned a few, I absolutely love 'em and build 'em all the time! But, building an occasional Tuner gives me the chance to really stretch my skills out in a different direction. There's not a whole lot you can't do with a Tuner that someone hasn't done in 1;1, so there's no worries about it looking goofy, anything with a wing that big is gonna look goofy. I take it as a challenge to make the goofy wing look like it belongs there. That, and dropping a Pro-Street Eclipse with a 426 HEMI on the contest table makes everyone look at you like you've lost your mind,,,,

I would like to interject that added a wing, some fake carbon fiber, and a fart can exhaust doesn't make a car a "tuner" any more than going shopping in the Edlebrock engine dress-up section of Summit Racing and tossing on a set of Keystone mags makes something a "Hot Rod/Muscle Car".

Dead-on. Same way bolting a set of wire wheels and whitewalls to a stock Saturn SL doesn't make it a lowrider. Putting 24" wheels and a clip-on billet grille on an Escalade doesn't really make it "custom". There are a few more ingredients you need than that. Even though it seems like, in many people's minds, that's all it takes. Just like doing a factory stock model, doing a proper tuner... or street machine, or lowrider, or what have you... takes a bit of research if you want to do it right. Otherwise stock cars with wings, faux fiber, and fart can mufflers are frowned upon by tuner enthusiasts, but you seem to see quite a few vehicles which fit that description entered as tuners. And for the record- I have no problem with your model or you if you build one that. It's your model, you are free to build it in whatever style you goshdam please.

But that might be part of the problem with model contests.... cars like that get lumped into the category, even if they don't really fit it. How often do you see a factory stock muscle car in the "street machine" category? Shouldn't it be in the dedicated "muscle car" category? Think of how many models you've seen entered in a "box stock" category, despite the fact they clearly have wheels from another kit or aftermarket decals. If people cant' get a concept as simple as "box stock" right, I don't suppose you could expect them to get it right when it comes to more specific categories. I don't know if that would translate into fewer tuner-specific classes at shows and contests over time, but it certainly couldn't help the case.

Stuff like that often makes me wonder why we bother with labels at all. A nicely done model is what it is- it doesn't necessarily have to fit into a neat little box for a particular category.

The original question posed by Antonio wasn't "What do you personally think of tuners?"

What he asked is why there are so few Tuner categories or models at contests these days. And the answer is, because the fad has peaked... and is now "yesterday's news." And I don't mean that in a derogatory or dismissive way. It's just the fact.

Face it... automotive trends or fads or whatever you want to call them are always coming along... getting popular... then gradually leveling off or fading away. In the early '60s, the cool fad or "look" was to have the front end of your car jacked up, gasser-style. Then just a few years later, that fad got old and the new fad was to have the rear end of your car jacked up.

There have been countless automotive fads and trends that have come and gone, and there always will be... because people are always looking for the next cool thing. It's human nature to want to be "cool" and "cutting edge," so people grab on to the next big fad–until too many people have jumped on the bandwagon, and it's not "radical" or "cutting edge" anymore... it inevitably becomes mainstream. And that's the point where people who like to be in the lead with the next "big thing" start looking for that "next big thing"... and the last "big thing" begins to fade.

It's inevitable. It has nothing to do with the Tuner fad itself, or how "legitimate" it is or isn't, or anything like that. It's just human nature for people to want to be connected with the latest... the hippest... the hottest thing. And every fad that comes along can only be the latest, hippest, hottest thing for a limited time... because once enough people join in, it's no longer new or different.

That's where the Tuner thing is these days. It has peaked. It's no longer on the upside of trends, but the downside. Again, that's not a comment judging the Tuner thing itself.

Marty, you might want to get out more. The auto companies are squeezing crazy amounts of power out of 4 cylinders these days, and that is factory. Once the customizers get a hold of them, the power only goes up from there. Then you add in they are going into cars that weigh a fraction of what a car from the 60s weighs. When you add in the a modern suspension, brakes, steering etc and to top it off they go at least twice as far on a gallon of gas.

I love muscle cars but you can't dismiss the fact, they really are antiques at this point.

In 2014 there are a lot of normal* autos coming with 2.0 - 2.5 liter (122-152 cid) 4 cylinder that put out 200-300 hp with a few getting up to 350+ hp. That is similar power to a 1969 factory L-48 350 small block which is nearly 3x the displacement and 4x the weight.

* normal meaning affordable to the average person, not the wealthy elite.

Harry, you are wanting to buy a new fad. The 2015 Mustang with the 2.3 liter eco-boost is basically a tuner by any definition I've seen.

I'm buying a new Mustang basically because I love how they look. And I'm getting the EcoBoost model not because it's a "fad," but because it makes more power and torque than the V6 model, and costs 10 grand less than the GT... and gets 32 highway mpg. Fads or "tuners" have nothing to do with it. It's just the Mustang model that makes sense for me.

The way most people here (IMO) see the "tuners" is ricers.

THIS is a tuner. Tuners are like promods, they have performance upgrades that do good things for the car, while mostly maintaining the "stock" look of the car. This car is also a good example of "stance" or "fitment"

29lobcw.jpg

This is not a good example of "stance" or "fitment" Yes, this probably took a lot of time, work, and elbow grease to achieve, but it does not help the car, and probably harms it more.

euqc6f.jpg

THIS is a ricer. Ricers are like the back page of the Auto-Trader that no one looks at. Ricers sacrifice performance, drivability, and basically the overall look of the car to put over-sized wings, ridiculous body kits and flamboyant paint jobs(and not in a good way, either). Usually, these cars are typical cars you see everyday on the road. Most of the time, they have no performance upgrades to them, and usually have snap on rims that go over the steelies underneath.

zl3tdi.jpg

2e2nijc.jpg

Sorry Harry, I guess I wasn't clear, didn't mean to imply you were buying it to be cool. You said it is a fad, I say tuners have gone mainstream, now being the preferred performance car of the 21st century. They didn't disappear, they are everywhere.

The kind of 'tuner' cars I like are Alpina, AC Schnitzer or Racing Dynamics BMWs, Brabus Benzes, various Saleen or Callaway cars..professionally built w/ performance mods.... Would love to see some modern ones of this sort available in scale.

p90055241highres.jpg

01-brabus-sv12.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

try using a Nissan Cube as a tow vehicle for a Mooneyes dragster sometime! most comments are in the area of: hey shouldn't that be a 60 Ford pickup truck? no, not in my world it shouldn't be.

those old people will be dead soon enough anyhow. that includes myself.

xRsSWt.jpg

jo6s5.jpg

sxo2.jpg

sits too high, should have used lower profile and smaller tires so they would tuck up under the fenders more:

leftfrontfl6.gif

in real life I want one of these:

carandcathedralnx5.jpg

slot car

leftprofile6ju.jpg

Y0aQ76.jpg

jb

Edited by jbwelda

I think the reason there is a lot less emphasis on "tuners" in contests is that the enthusiasts of tuner cars are typically young (at this point under 40 years fits the "young" age group lol) and don't have enough patience to sit down and build a model or have any creativity. Also, this topic really seems to be directed at the American hobbyists where we are all Mustang, Chargers, Cudas, Chevelle, and other huge vehicles rule the road. We don't have the twisty winding roads of the highly populated countries like Japan, England and the likes which require the use of small cars and extreme fuel economy due to cost of living. It stands to reason that the model car hobby in the U.S. gravitates toward the cars we love.

Look at the Big Truck forum on this site and the commercial class at your model contest, Mostly Pete's, KW's, Freightliners and other US model trucks with the occasional MAN or DAF. I think it's geographically effected. Most of the European and Japanese forums I frequent gravitate towards the tuner genre.

As for RICERS; I have yet to see anyone, on purpose, build a model like the Cavalier posted earlier that looks like they drove into a J.C. Whitney catalog and everything stuck.

>With one exception

hope you didn't mean me, I tried to be as civil as possible. you will notice I included myself amongst the old guys who will be passing (and passing the torch) on fairly soon. might as well face it. the question is, will the next to take the reins in the model world stay with the 57 chevys or will the lure of the exotic get them too (exotic, as well as the practical...another thing to face is that the big gas guzzling V8 is no longer appropriate nor necessary, not when you have muy efficient 6ers putting out close to 400 horses in a car with a curb weight down near 3000lbs).

jb

I predominantly build them (along with whatever ELSE I seem to be interested in) but when I go to shows, I rarely see classes for them. I'm back in Ohio now so I'm within driving distance of many shows. Is is because they're not cared for as a genre? Like I said, Just curious. I'm interested in hearing your replies (in a respectful manner of course) B) Thank you. Antonio.

I think it's shortsightedness and stubbornness.. it's a long tradition spanning generations.. comments on the subject are pretty much the exact same as they would be, no matter the decade.

go to any decade.. the 1960's, 70's, 80's, whatever.. and you'll find 40 year olds grumbling at the stupid kids and their stupid hot rods.. proclaiming that their hot rods are far superior, and the younger kid's cars are a waste of time and money..

i personally feel that dirt racing is taking a huge hit to its future because of the huge aversion to turners.. it has in essence cut off a whole generation of car enthusiasts from the sport.. since the 'stupid tuners' are just a waste time time and money..

I don't much care of them, but i understand that in the grand scheme of things, tuners are just the modern hot rod that all the kids are interested in..

30 years from now, the kids who are into tuners will all be talking about how all the stupid kids are wasting their time and money on their dumb electric cars, and that they should be spending more time working on the superior 4-cylinder tuners..

it's the same thing, just repeated in a new way every decade.