Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sharpie's

I really haven't had much luck in doing this. The coverage level seems to me to be much too low, so there is way too much "show through" to look realistic.

You go over the area 2 or 3 times if necessary to get the black at full saturation. It's really easy...

I recommended Sharpies to my friend Matt when I stopped by one day, and helped solve a couple of problems he had looming on the horizon.

The bed 'wood' is simply brown Sharpie used right on the white kit plastic, and it was reapplied randomly to give a better grain look. I know there are ways to get a much more realistic-looking wood, but this was done in mere minutes(I call it the 'stupid easy' method). He also did the 'taillights' in the bumperettes with a red Sharpie:

DSC02538-vi.jpg

Like a previous poster said, I also use the silver Sharpie for the trim on my weathered models. It looks decent, and it's super fast:

DSCN8605_edited-vi.jpg

Edited by VW Dave

Maybe Sharpie should send us all a free pack with all this free publicity, but I agree 100%, Sharpies are great. I tried them for a wood grain pattern. I started with yellow, then shades of green, red and brown. I was able to smear the coats to get the effect. The monitors and amps are all done with Sharpies also.

IMG_2559.jpg

Picture018.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

• 1 month later...

I pulled my cardboard box full of Sharpies out. The only difference is in the tips... use big ones, Chisel Tip, for big jobs, finer tips for small job. I have a box full of different sizes and colors. The big fat red one in the pic is a Chisel Tip .. not readable. Also, I haven't tried that silver marker yet, so can't verify how good that brand is. I highly recommend just buying Sharpie BRAND markers. I've used the red and orange for coloring clear and chrome lights for years. Nothing else I've used colors the clear lenses with NO streaks so effortlessly.

Sharpies_DSC1906.jpg

Thank you for the pic.

Torino Bradley needs to know that "I don't know" & "I didn't take it" have been getting around. They're found in nearly every house in America, and elswhere if the truth were told. :lol: I have noticed however, that they are not around as much since my kids moved out. Hmm..

Gary

Edited by BigGary

I've used the red & blue sharpies for fittings and black for trim around windows. I did read some were that you can use the black sharpies to help keep solder from flowing too far from the PE part or tube your soldering. I think it said that you " bracket " the part with the sharpie and then add your flux and part then solder as you normaly do. The sharpie ink stops the hot solder from running too far from the point of heat contact.

• 5 years later...

Has anyone tried using a chrome color sharpie or marker for window trim instead of BMF or aluminum foil? It would be great to have a fine point pen do this! seems to be much easier too!

Silver Sharpie is now how I routinely do my window trim, and has been my go-to method for several years now. I think I've used up four of five of them. They're also great for wheel-opening trim, too. I dress up cheap diecasts with them as well, and even use them to re-do crummy window trim on my old, old builds. Screw anything up? The silver Sharpie comes right off with rubbing alcohol, no problem.

If they quit making silver Sharpies, I'd have to consider giving up car modeling and go back to "just" airplanes, that's how much I love them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used black Sharpies with some success in the past. But, recently I got AMT's Hindenburg airship model. I decided to paint the stand with Testor's flat black paint. I then bought a package of 3 different metallic Sharpies, figuring on using the silver one to highlight the letters on the base. For some reason it did not work. The "ink" (?) came out of the Sharpie very thin and scratchy looking. I ended going back to Testor's silver paint and a very fine brush. And it turned out great. But, I originally thought the Sharpie would make this job a little easier. I wonder why the Sharpie didn't work in this case? I've also had troubles getting Sharpies to work on some chrome.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

In my experience, a Pantone silver paint pen (available at Hobby Lobby) provides a brighter silver and does a good job of touching up small nicks on chrome parts.

EDIT: I meant Prismacolor, not Pantone. Sorry for the error.

Edited by sjordan2