Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL Countdown - What's in it for you?

Nitrozilla

For those of you who know the problems I'm having with paint on the Charlie Allen build, what I hope to come away with is a new respect for the work and effort of those who came before me. Aside from my own dogged determination to get that build right, it is their accomplishments that motivate and inspire me.

This is also going to be an incredible opportunity to solidify the friendships we've started and fire up some new ones. Also, I plan on soaking up every ounce of history that the International Model Car Museum can give.

Jim Keeler's Dodge Fever is first on my list.

FEVER1.jpg

So, what's your prime reasons for attending?

Edited by Nitrozilla

Prime reason is I haven't missed a GSL since 1990, but secondary always is it's a hoot to mess with the minds of my fellow modelers. Third, it's great to revisit with the same guys again (be sure to catch Don Emmons' stories, assuming he - the luckiest modeler in the world - is there), and see others who haven't been back in a while. The museum is a must-see for me, since it has the Don Shenk / Phil Jensen truck models that brought me into the hobby in the first place, which I'd only seen in magazines and the "Building Model Trucks" book. And I love to fly, so it's a good excuse for a drastic 4-day change of scenery.

...messing with people's heads....

Oh, yeh. One of the wildest stunts was when the legendary Pryor Passorino showed up minus his standard mustache and otherwise disguised as Guido Dolce, so much so that none of us recognized him until he gave the practical joke two days into the contest, just before a bunch of us were headed off to the model car museum. Wish I could have recorded that on video, the roar of laughter and surprise was unforgettable.

When MSG's custom modeling book was new, he had the book and his 40 Ford from the cover on a table as he was talking to a small group of modelers. I congratulated him on the book and then said that many people had made VW bugs look like 40 Fords, but that he was the first to make a 40 Ford look like a VW bug. Mark gave me a big smile and said "Nemanic, you're a pain in the a**" I took it as a compliment, and he STILL is my friend! What a guy!

Oh, yeh. One of the wildest stunts was when the legendary Pryor Passorino showed up minus his standard mustache and otherwise disguised as Guido Dolce, so much so that none of us recognized him until he gave the practical joke two days into the contest, just before a bunch of us were headed off to the model car museum. Wish I could have recorded that on video, the roar of laughter and surprise was unforgettable.

It's one of my favorite GSL memories! Guido truly had MSG fooled! The reaction when the masquerade was unveiled was priceless!! :lol::P:lol:

Oh, where were cell phone videos then???

I liked the pics, of course some great models there.

what was the turn out like? approx. how many spectators (non-entrants) were there vs people who entered models? I take it there were probably less spectators than somewhere like the NNL West where a lot of people come just to shop the swap meet. I am asking because it looks like there was a lot of spare space on the tables and in the aisles. is this event even advertised to the "general public"?

wish I could have gone; I just got back from a month in Utah but couldn't justify heading that far north for something I didn't have anything with me to enter in the show. I went to the museum back when it was in SLC but that had to be close to 15 years ago, or more. I am sure it has come a long ways since then.

jb

I took some photos of the Hoosier Model Car Association Contest this past Saturday. I thought I would share them with all of you. Just click on the link below.

I had a great time, saw a lot of very nice built models, and found some good deals at the swap meet, ($12 for a complete '64 T-bolt kit) and got to talk with some old friends that I haven't seen in awhile.

http://public.fotki.com/kcpyt0/model-contest/hmca-5215/

Some of the "On the tables" photos are deceptive because they were probably taken Thursday or Friday - early in the event. As people arrived, the tables filled up. By Saturday they were pretty full, and at times the isles were packed. There were over 300 models entered in competition, plus areas for non-competing models, a big historical display of the Fisher Body Guild, and a preview of the Lynx Project. I think because of the nature of GSL there usually aren't a lot of spectators, but I've always found it worth going to whether I have something to enter or not.

I didn't make it over to the Museum this year (the bus had a minor accident and my tour got cancelled), but the Museum has grown A LOT in the last 15 years - check it out when you can.

We had to duck out a little early on the awards presentation to catch a flight and just got back a few hours ago - I'll have my photos up in a day or so.

First things first, glad to see so many people responded and especially thank you Scott for posting the pics.

Secondly, I want to express a deeply heartfelt thanks to Mark Gustavson and his staff. Actually, they are more like an extended family of lunatic geniuses, who never failed to answer my constant annoying questions.

Next, I want to thank MY extended family of John Teresi, Chris Sobak, Art Laski, Vince Nemanic, Scott Hess and countless others who all put up with my idiosyncracies and never failing to answer my constant annoying questions.

So what's my overall opinion of the event? It's like taking the Seven Wonders of the World and putting them in the same place as all of the Disney parks, and GoodGuys shows, topped off with an NHRA Championship. There were no disappointments, while there were some missed opportunities that were no one's fault. One of those was, due to a minor shuttle accident on the way to the museum for the next to last trip, me and some others were unable to go on the last run.

Everybody lived and so will I. No injuries either.

The highlight of the trip was not the competition on a personal level, as I was taking a knitting needle to a Light Saber battle. The one person who made the whole event for me was meeting Jim Keeler. As long as I'm making comparisons, the only thing that could come close would be Don Garlits knocking on my door and saying, "Would you like me to show you how to detail a Hemi?"

Jim, you are an amazing man, but you already know that. At least I hope it stuck. I told you enough times. Jim pulled a Jeff Gordon on me. He thanked me for asking for his autograph on the magazines he signed for me. Class. Pure class.

So as I process this sensory overload of the INCREDIBLE builds, I will now try to honor them by creating future projects that will be able to stand toe-to-toe, instead of merely wishing I could.

Finally, I am at a loss for words to express my gratitude to the alumni of the Fisher Body Craftsmen's Guild for their unconditional love of building models and their attempts to preserve the past in their efforts to find a permanent home for their creations and contributions to American history. That history and the history of the GSL was my sole reason for attending and it did not disappoint.

See y'all in 2017. I better get busy..........

Edited by Nitrozilla

I liked the pics, of course some great models there.

what was the turn out like? approx. how many spectators (non-entrants) were there vs people who entered models? I take it there were probably less spectators than somewhere like the NNL West where a lot of people come just to shop the swap meet. I am asking because it looks like there was a lot of spare space on the tables and in the aisles. is this event even advertised to the "general public"?

wish I could have gone; I just got back from a month in Utah but couldn't justify heading that far north for something I didn't have anything with me to enter in the show. I went to the museum back when it was in SLC but that had to be close to 15 years ago, or more. I am sure it has come a long ways since then.

jb

Hi JB, I just missed your question as I was posting. One of the constant annoying questions I asked was how many entrants and entries there were, just before registration closed down Saturday. Head count was 100 + and entries were 352. I can't believe it took them over thirty seconds to get me that answer. Some people! (You folks ROCK!!!)

While not overwheming by some NNL and other major contests standards, IMHO what mattered was the sheer energy in the room generated by our enjoyment as we gazed upon some of the best work this hobby has produced. Picking your favorite in each class was like filling out a Basketball Playoff Bracket. I've been aware of the GSL for a very long time and finally, at the age of 62, LIFE finally cut me a break and let me sneak in almost unnoticed. Competitors who build exclusively for this show may disagree, but it's the MAGIC for me. Heck, I thought the photographer who took pictures of every entry was going to look at me as I placed my car on the turntable and just shake his head. Even he probably knew better. :lol: Speaking of photogs, a shout out to Jim from Scale Auto Enthusiast and Darryl Gassaway of MCM for the recognition of my Mazmanian Gasser and U. S. Dart. I'm honored guys.

As far as non-entrants go, there were other conventions and meetings taking place in other parts of the hotel and many of them asked me, "Are you with the model people?" Huge numbers were in the room on Saturday, but I don't think anybody was doing a head count. On the issue of knowledge to the general public, I'll leave that to Mark G and Family.

If you can make it in '17, I'll introduce you to all of my new friends. Should only take a couple of days.

Edited by Nitrozilla