Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE "ROY MUNSON" 72 OLDSMOBILE CONVERTIBLE

bryan_m

does anyone know if a resin company makes the "stock" hood for this car yet? this one comes with the "442" hood, and the one Roy drives defenitely isnt a 442! LOL

let me know, thanks in advance guys!

bryan

The Cutlass Supreme Convertible kit has the hood you're looking for. It's a nearly identical kit. Just doesn't have the 442 hood, decals, and maybe a few other small parts. Love the idea of what you're doing. Great movie too. Edited by The70judgeman

If your interested woody harrelson also stars in a movie called'Play it to the bone',where he and Antonio Banderas are being driven to Vegas in a 71'442 W30 convertible in Radiant green that is absolutely beautiful,i think the Modelhaus sells the 71 parts to backdate the 72.

I ran into this a several months ago when I decided to build a replica of a Cutlass ragtop a friend's girlfriend had once owned. I already had the kit with the W-30 hood and didn't want to buy another kit, so I submitted the question to the Spotlight Hobbies board. Long story short, Kevin from the Missing Link / MAD / Motor City casting consortium contacted me to say said he offers one that is a perfect fit. If you've ever purchased anything from them, you already know that you'll be receiving a top-notch piece. Try posting this question in the Resin section. I'm sure those guys will have his most current contact information.

In my situation, another modeler had contacted me before Kevin did and asked if I would do a direct swap for his non-W-30 Revell hood, which is what I ended up doing.

Thanks Monty, ill shoot them an email!

cheers

bryan

ok fellas, progress is moving slow, but its moving........

i drilled out the lock in the trunk lid and thinned out the plastic behind it.

muns2001.jpg

a marked the drivers side quarter panel for the few small dents that are in it.......i only have driver side ref pics at the moment, but il have plenty more tomorrow!

muns2002.jpg

my next step is to remover the molded in grille in the cowl panel (under the wipers), and add some super fine mesh in there....stay tuned!

thanks for lookin

bryan

ok i got the cowl panel opened up, i think it came out pretty good. it was alot of sanding adn filing tho!

the one on the left is they way it came from the factory, and the right i cut open........

cowl001.jpg

here they are again side by side, with the mesh installed.....

cowl004.jpg

and a close up of the mesh......

cowl005.jpg

thats about it for me tonight fellas, more to come tomorrow.......thanks for lookin.

lemme know what you think

cheers

bryan

oh i have a question........whats the name of the company that makes the correct retro paint colors for GM, Ford, Dodge....ect ect........

i cant remember the name, but i wanna order the correct gold for this build......

thanks in advance guys

bryan

so bodywork, and rusting aside until i get more reference pics, i decided to start on the engine... its a nicely detailed piece thats for sure...

heres the parts

BBO455001.jpg

i assembled the basic stuff, block, heads, intake.......

BBO455002.jpg

the tranny is just stuck on there with"handitak"

i added the intake manifold, and drilled the back of the block out for one of morgan automotive details wonderful pre wired distributors.......

BBO455003.jpg

thats it for the moment, more to come. gonna start drilling holes for the heater hoses, vacuum lines, ect,ect.....

lemme know what ya think guys!

cheers

bryan

while my engine parts were dryin up i figured i would finish up the mesh on the cowl panel.....i gotta say it came out real nice...............not to toot my own horn or anything.

bb455004.jpg

and the underside....

bb455002.jpg

the only problem i see is that there were two pins that held the windshield trim in place, ill have to find another way to mount it, but it shouldnt be too much of a problem.....

thats about it for me tonight guys,

thanks for lookin, lemme know what ya think.

cheers

bryan

thats it for me tonight fellas, i got 2 acres of grass to cut in the morning! gotta get up early and get it over with.....ill be back at the bench tomorrow afternoon though.........

tune in tomorrow,

same bat time, same bat channel! LOL

cheers

bryan

oh i have a question........whats the name of the company that makes the correct retro paint colors for GM, Ford, Dodge....ect ect........

i cant remember the name, but i wanna order the correct gold for this build......

thanks in advance guys

bryan

You might want to try MCW , they have a wide range of colors and can get you hooked up. I think there is also another company, Scalefinishes, but he was closed for the summer and not re-opening until September,IIRC.

Nice car, can't wait to see it done.