Model Cars Magazine Forum

Midland Belly Dump Trailer Build

I've decided to start a new project: building a belly dump trailer from scratch. I got a few inquiries on my last project about the materials and methods I used, so I thought it might be helpful this time to describe my build process in greater detail.

My first step, of course was to choose a specific subject to use as the basis for my trailer. In this case, I chose a Midland MX2000 belly dump:

2007Midland36CrossGateBellyDump003.jpg

I was able to find a brochure with dimensions on the manufacturer's website (http://www.midlandtr.../brochures.html), so that really helped with my next step - creating 1/25 scale drawings:

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Personally, I find it very helpful to create these drawings for two reasons: First, it helps me figure out the dimensions and the cut angles for all of the pieces I need to make; and secondly it helps me figure out what pieces I need to buy (I use mainly Plastruct styrene stock). I use a program called Microsoft Visio to create my drawings.

I just placed an order with with Plastruct, since I was missing a few pieces, so now I just need to wait a week or two before I can start the building process.

To be continued...

Edited by Aaron Corey

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh, YEAH!!! I'll be following this one, closely! Aaron, I truly appreciate you posting your drawings. You have quite a bit of work in them and I can appreciate the time and calulations that you put into them. (I was formally trained as a draftsman but haven't used those skills in several years.) I saved your pics for personal reference, that is, if you don't mind me pirating them... I will, someday, add one of these trailers to my ever-expanding truck fleet and I have no qualms about following in the footsteps of more talented builders... ;) You have gotten off to a really good start. I love seeing raw plastic shapes come together into something complex and functional.

That is exactly the function of an oscillating 5th wheel plate. These trailers will see a lot of offroad time, depending on their use, being pulled in and out of farm fields, construction sites, over unprepared or underprepared field or jobsite entrances, through ditches and over VERY uneven ground. I used to drive OTR and can tell you, the pucker factor goes WAY up when you get your tractor on one uneven plane and the trailer on another and you start hearing metals creak, groan and pop as the trailer is trying to bend in a direction it's not meant to. I have actually made a 53' van 'scream' in protest (Or maybe it was my fully retracted landing gears bottoming out on the concrete...)to the angle it was trying to keep while being almost jackknifed into a tight, steep loading dock pit. (It had been built when COE's and 40footers were the norm and here I am with a 9400 International Eagle and a 53 footer...) I thought I was going to bust a kingpin on that one and wished outloud that I had had an oscillating 5th... When I got it parked, with the tractor at close to a right angle to the trailer, I had air under the outboard tires on my right side drive axles and sitting still, things were still making protesting noises... :blink: As you left the street the road surface came up close to a foot and then dropped steeply down, this was to keep rain runoff from flooding the dock pit.

I apologize for the ramblings but thought a little color might help you understand and appreciate what you're building even more...Now, back on topic, I look forward to seeing you make progress on this one!

Chris

Edited by Wagoneer81

Hey Chris, thanks for the info on fifth wheels. Finding out how this stuff actually works is half the fun of scale modeling. And it can actually help with making more accurate models, since the functions of some things isn't always obvious from looking at photos.

Feel free to make use of my drawings, that's why I posted them. This forum is a great place to find info on trucks and trailers, so I'm happy to make a contribution to it (even if it's just a small one). I've also had a little bit of training in drafting (mostly in high school).

I've got a few more drawings for this project, so if anyone's interested I can add them to this thread.

Here's my latest progress on this build:

bad10ee9.jpg

Edited by Aaron Corey

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

This build is going a lot more smoothly than my last one (a lowboy trailer). Having the right tools for the job certainly makes a difference. After building the lowboy with all of those crossmembers under the deck, I decided to get a miter-rite from micro mark. Waaaay easier to make accurate, consistent cuts compared to those extruded aluminum miter boxes that often come with razor saws, plus it can be set to any angle. The lowboy turned out okay, but gluing the frame together when some of the crossmembers were roughly 1/32 of an inch shorter then the rest was a challenge :)

The photo of the actual 1:1 trailer in my first post shows the 32 foot version; however, I'm building the 29 foot version (approximately 14 inches in 1:25 scale). So mine will have a much smaller gap between the hopper and the wheels compared to that photo. Midland also sells 40 and 42 foot version with tri-axle setups.

Edited by Aaron Corey

Hi Aaron,

Very nice modeling, your trailer is looking great :) I do have a question that maybe you or another member maybe able to help me with, Does anyone make a scale ruler for 1/25th scale? What I'm getting at, currently there are scale rulers that model railroader use for 1:160, 1:87, 1:64 and 1:48 scales, where all the measurements on the rulers are in foot and inches. Does this type of ruler exists for 1/25?

Thanks in Advance,

Rich S.