Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx

gwaltz1

Corvair engines in a buggy were the hot ticket back in the sixties, but today the VW engine makes the power without the size and rotation issues. My 1835cc dual carb VW pulls the front wheels, what more do you really need?

Craig, you seen how much some of the original 48 IDA's are going for now? Man oh man, could buy a house with those now!!!!

1835's always overheated here, we stuck to 1775 for street use, and the 1920s for our strip cars. Adam's Apple was one I crewed on for many years.

Looks like you'd have to paint the back sides of the colored parts to get rid of the "see thru" look. But that won't work on the main body piece... so the whole "molded in sparkly colored plastic" thing is useless, because you're going to have to paint it anyway.

Yeah, there's only the chrome VW engine, with that single port dual carb set up.

I forgot about that with this kit.

I should have seen if we could have included a new engine option for it, newer VW engine, dual port heads, the 48's, ...

Oh well.

I was talking to my friend Gil the other day, told him with all the resin casting article I've been doing, I may put together some aftermarket VW parts for sale based on some of my masters, older parts, and parts box specials.

I will be working on the full review and build of this kit myself, even though our good friend Tim Boyd did that 2008 article, which, by the way, is mentioned on the flyer that's in the Meyers Manx kits. Thanks, Tim!

post-3-0-80471100-1324600769_thumb.jpg

I remember the INSIDES were painted black fiberglass, so couldn't you paint the inside of the bucket black, and the underside of the hood an trunklid, to help get rid of the see thru look?

You could paint the inside to get rid of the see-through look, but the original bodies molded by Meyers were not painted at all; possibly some individual builders did so once they got a hold of them? Mine is original metalflake blue gel-coat inside and out, althought the inside is generally covered by the upholstery panels. The black part on the outside/under the rail are actually black gel-coat which, like the flaky blue part, was laid up in the mold prior to the 'glass being added.

Here's a low-angle view that shows where the black gelcoat is, as opposed to the blue 'flake gelcoat:

DSCN2472_edited-vi.jpg

If anyone is after any specific views for reference, please feel free to drop me a line. The car is packed away in the garage for the winter, but I'll do my best to get the shots.

Edited by VW Dave

Thanks! It is a very small car indeed: 80.25" wheelbase, and just about 12" overall length. Without the fiberglass top, and with a half tank of fuel, it weighs just a tick over 1300lbs.

The entire engine is on loan from my Beetle, as the one that I got with the Manx turned out to be junk(the PO kept his nice 1835cc Bergmann motor with the dual Dellortos and upswept baja pipe). That merged stinger pipe is designed for a Beetle sedan with a full rear apron & bumper, I just kept it on there as I really like the way it sounds with no baffle. The new motor I'm putting together for the Manx includes a brandy-new ceramic coated Meyers 'sidewinder' header that tucks in much closer.

Manx_Exhaust.jpg

Edited by VW Dave