Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx

gwaltz1

Also, in every carton of the standard white Meyers Manx, there will be a special special red metallic version. There is no way to tell which one will be the red metallic one, there is no special markings or anything on the box. The purple metallic one is only available through Auto World's online store and at the Auto World retail store.

The five lugs are from the Fujimi Porsche 356 kits. They are us VW freaks favorite five bolt rims/tires.

Incidentally, for those who get the metallic molded versions. Backing the color with black will dull the final result. I suggest bright silver be painted first as a backing and then the black. However, I am not sure how this will effect the mold considering this shape contains deep body shape changes and is not simply one thin shell.

I doubt that the metallic bodies will prove to be very popular for anything but collectors as a true builder will paint the thing for realism.

Just my two-cents.

Incidentally, for those who get the metallic molded versions. Backing the color with black will dull the final result. I suggest bright silver be painted first as a backing and then the black. However, I am not sure how this will effect the mold considering this shape contains deep body shape changes and is not simply one thin shell.

I doubt that the metallic bodies will prove to be very popular for anything but collectors as a true builder will paint the thing for realism.

Just my two-cents.

That sounds like a good idea Jarius, thanks!

I gotta get a couple of these for myself,maybe more. I see a scratchbuilt dune buggy in my future. I just need to find a Subaru boxer engine to stick on the back of one or maybe a rotary engine from a Mazda.

Roger- best bet might be this, but they can be a bit pricey-

AmtBrat005-vi.jpg

This one might be easier to find, and way cheaper-

revellsubaruwrxsti-vi.jpg

Craig... THANKS for posting that. <_< Now I'm going to have to build something close to it! :lol: That thing is wicked.

Speaking of engines- how good is the engine in the Manx kit? If the engine in it is decent, I might be in for a few more just for the powerplants and transaxles.

Chuck, I'm sure the engine and transaxle will disappoint, this is a "axle through the engine" kit, the metal wire runs in the open where the swing axle tubes should be. The whole thing is chrome, and while the engine looks good, it is a 36 HP mill, the fuel pump and generator stand give it away. The dual carbs are early tall units (okrasa?) and little more than lumps. The basics can be used to update to something larger if you know the subject well. I built one into a type 3 engine years ago. (THE hot setup back in the day!)

We need a resin caster to save us a lot of conversion work!

Edited by Craig Irwin

Here are the metallic versions of the Meyers Manx.

It's somewhat transparent.

That's the one I want!!!!!!!!!! Actually I'll be getting both. Too cool to pass up! I have an original built up, well some of it anyway. I always thought it was a cool model! I think a coat of flat black on the back side of those parts will take care of The transparency issue.

This might be a good spot for that wonderful Fujimi 356 mill being so visible ... and since the wheels might also be salvaged for this.

If you don't mind mixing 1:24 and 1:25 scale pieces. Which I don't, by the way. Hey- for the most part nobody will know unless you tell them or they happen to notice the part, right?

Craig- looks like you are a Manx kit, a set of MRC Keystones, and a can of Testors Mystic Emerald away from modeling your buggy!

Okay, so I've been dying to see what is in the kit...thanks, Gregg, for the pictures and for pushing for the reissue!! I'm a VW nut...'67 Beetle in pieces for too long in my cold garage...and several VW kits to build...looks like some of the same parts as the Streetle Beetle...love those Cragars and the baby moons...

BTW...The Fujimi 356 kit was also repackaged by Testor's as that is the version I have. The Porsche wide 5 and small 5 rims are both in the kit.

The kit would have been much better if they included a 'Vair engie also and with both the 4-carb option and the Turbocharger too. I'd like a little more "motor" in my buggy.

AMEN AND HALLELUJAH!!! I was planning on saying that same exact thing, but you beat me to it. What's the point of a 45-55 h.p. dune buggy anyway? Sure it's a lightweight, but as "Tim The Toolman" from Home Improvement (played by fellow Corvair owner Tim Allen) used to say, "MORE POWER"!!! :lol:

OK, so that would take it up to 90-110 h.p. with everything hooked up, right? The 4-carb Corvair unit makes 140 h.p. - STOCK - and the mildly modified one that I had in my daily-driver '66 Monza (.040 overbore, 1 point compression bump, mild cam, bigger carbs, low restriction intake and exhaust) was putting over 220 horses to the wheels. The ever-popular Corsa Turbo engine was factory rated at 180 h.p. (and besides, it looks a bunch cooler than a VW engine with it's chromed induction tubing and air filter can!). Don Yenko was building 260-horse Corvair engines all the way back in 1966 for use in the Stage IV Stinger. That car was so fast that the SCCA outlawed it! 110 h.p. might make a Manx a "Go-Kart", but a 260-horse Corvair engine would make it an earthbound missile! (Better reinforce that exhaust stinger to allow it to double as a wheelie bar!)

No offense intended, of course. We all have our own personal preferences. It's just that I've never seen a VW engine in a Corvair. I'm just sayin'... :P

No offense intended, of course. We all have our own personal preferences. It's just that I've never seen a VW engine in a Corvair. I'm just sayin'... :P

You're right, they're too heavy!

Honestly, a Corvair engine in a buggy causes far too many problems to be worth the effort. (And you are still way short on the power a vw can make!) Of coarse in plastic we can do anything we want!