Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bearcat In Hiding

Guest Davkin

I built my first diorama in HO scale, (1/87) and while I enjoyed it and it helped me learn a lot about diorama modeling and weathering I decided I'd rather do dioramas in a larger scale so now I'm working on an O scale, (1/48). The diorama base measures only 12" X 5".

bearcat-04.jpg

bearcat-06.jpg

bearcat-08.jpg

The car is an old Renwal kit of a 1914 Stutz Bearcat and is just in mockup stage right now. The rest of the diorama so far is all scratchbuilt. The left side of the diorama will be dominated by a large tree and misc. junk.

David

Edited by Davkin

What did you use for the fence and building frame?

Just basswood. The framing for the shed is O scale 6x6 lumber from Rusty Stumps. I cut all the planks from 1/32 thick basswood sheet.

David

u working ur way up to 1/24 scale?....

Kinda. I first tried HO thinking I'd enjoy it and it would allow me to build large, complex dioramas in a relatively small space. While I did enjoy that diorama I decided HO wasn't all that satisfying as it's difficult to produce fine details and they often end up looking rather crude, (at least when I do them!) After seeing some of the amazing work some model railroaders do in O scale I've decided to give that a try. I decided to start with something a little simpler than the "Barn Find" diorama, just one vehicle in this one and not even a complete building. There is one huge drawback to O scale however, at least for model car builders, there are very few good plastic model kits in 1/48 scale of cars and trucks. O scale has been a very popular scale for a long time and even moreso lately with the surge in On30 trains produced by Bachmann so it's real suprising there is so little available.

I do plan on going up to 1/24 scale after this diorama is finished largely because of the dearth of automotive subjects in O scale. However the 1/24 diorama I am planning on will probably end up being a multi-year project at the rate I build, so there's a good chance I'll still do small and simple O scale dioramas on occasion like this one.

David

Guest Davkin

Just a small update, I've weathered up a barrell for the first of many details that will be added to the scene. Eventually it will be filled with scrap metal.

bearcat-10.jpg

David