Model Cars Magazine Forum

Death Race build?

This is going to be great. Also, Great idea for the Calendar. If we don't get 12 people, we can do compilation pics for the rest of the months.

It took me a while to get to sleep last night as I was thinking of how I'm going to do my car.... :angry:

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!!!!

All right, here's what I got in primer so far. I glued everything in place, including some undercarriage details . . .

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

The primer really brings out lots of the surface detail . . .

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

It sure does remind me that although the painting is going to be fun, it is also going to take some time . . .

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

I decided to glue everything in place before I apply one more coat of primer, and since the engine is not going to be visible but from the underneath, it's just going to be painted , weathered, and muddied in the same way as the rest of the chassis, of course with a few details here and there . . .

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

Some mufflers and protective metal . . . .

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

I like the beefy look of the exhaust . . .

IMG_9-vi.jpg

Sounds cool. So it is Aug 22 and March 1. With a 2 and a 3 year old runnin around plus workin 3 pm til 1 am. With birthdays and holidays galore over the next few months I'm really glad you guys took us into consideration and made that ending date March 1. I was gonna do a dead one too but we'll see. Some of the builds my 3 year old son has gotten too are already dead. ;) Oh well can't wait. -Will

All right, my friends, I just finished spraying some NATO black as a way to really cover all the areas to shade . . . stay tuned in for some pictures . . .

This is an old trick I've used time and again because it does help cover all the white spots everywhere, plus it helps shade the panels and other elements . . .

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

Here's another angle . . . the black really helps cover mistakes, etc . . . it's like a nice curtain falling over the whole piece . . .

IMG_3-vi.jpg

It really helps highlight areas of interest . . .

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

Hey Diymirage,

From the looks of yer 40, I don't think you need to feel intimidated--looks like you could do a fine job of a damaged DeathRacer. Great thing about this forum is that we all love to see what our fellow modelers do--from simple otb builds to superderailed builds. We inspire each other, which is great and at the same time can drive us nutz and right over to the LHS fer more kits :lol: meanin less time fer family and all.

I'm planning on doing 2 cars. I'm starting with a 65 Pontiac 2+2 and a 66 Mercury Marquis, probly gonna have the Ponyack as the racer and the Merc as a dead one. The Merc will give me a chance to try some stuff on first before I tries it on the PonyAckAckAck......hmmmm, might be the name for my racer :lol: !

Love yer idea for a calendar :lol: . Looks like there's 10 of us now that ###### Cranky has said he's in. I'll bet Olle F will join us........dat makes 11......Nick F40?? is you in? Love to see what yinz guys come up with!

thanks

that ford was my most detailed build ever though :lol:

but i have a few good ideas for this build, and seeing how this will well exceed my normal build time i can go all out or redo whatever i dont like ]

lol

i thought about doing a gto on a F body for this and call it the gtFo :D

Love yer idea for a calendar <_< . Looks like there's 10 of us now that ###### Cranky has said he's in. I'll bet Olle F will join us........dat makes 11......Nick F40?? is you in? Love to see what yinz guys come up with!

yeah sure, why not! B) this will be interesting....that's all I'm gonna say! Maybe i'll take one of my F40 kits........ B):blink: :blink: :D:blink:

i would like to get in on this. is there anyone specific i need to notify?

paul

I think we should go with what The fartin Madhatter :lol: suggesteds-

-buildoff coinciding with the movie premiere.

First posts August 22cd--unasssembled kit(s)?

I also think yer end date of March 1 is way cool, Eric.

I just looked back thru the posts and looks like:

Kasteer

Evilone

Diymirage

Aaronw

######'n Blaque

Willy Survive

Texas Funk

Jantrix

The Madhatter

damncranky

allgosvo

That's 9 of us rarin to go. Aint sure bout Olle F, Nick F40, or ###### Cranky---you guys in on this? :rolleyes:

done :lol:

hey guys, how bout this, im making a delorean with a flux capacitator, that way when you blow my up ill accelerate to 88 MPH and go back in time by just a few seconds so ill end up behind your missile :lol:

i have made my car choice. i saw this when i was making my decision and thought hmm this car is halfway there. this is not my car choice so if someone wants to use it have at it.

that does look spiffy

i personally wouldnt mind seeing two or more people use the same base model and completly make it thier own

keeps it interesting

I glad you aren't going to use the Californian. It would be a shame to hack into a kit that rare. I would built it, mind you, but more in the manner intended. Very cool hot rod.

For a build like this, I prefer using something from the parts box, or at least a kit I didn't spend much on, like the $5 kits from Big Lots. My wife suggested using one of my new 68 Chargers. I almost fainted at the thought. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jantrix

Do you have room for one more build?

As long as the paint don't need to be shinie, I'm good.

Will this be on a road course or will some off-roading be needed?

Armour needed more than weapons? (Guns/Rocket launchers)

One I did long ago.

P8180001.jpg

And what I plan on entering.

P8180006.jpg

If ya gonna Bang them up, it better be Big and Heavy.

I think I'm ready to join in the fun building now.

Enough reading and watching.

Edited by Zukiholic

I glad you aren't going to use the Californian. It would be a shame to hack into a kit that rare. I would built it, mind you, but more in the manner intended. Very cool hot rod.

For a build like this, I prefer using something from the parts box, or at least a kit I didn't spend much on, like the $5 kits from Big Lots. My wife suggested using one of my new 68 Chargers. I almost fainted at the thought. :lol:

i actually used this as an excuse to get me that revell special edition 68 charger kit :P

damncranky, Thanks for the welding info. I'm going to give that a try!

Updated list... Looks like 12 total now...

Kasteer

Evilone

Diymirage

Aaronw

######'n Blaque

Willy Survive

Texas Funk

Jantrix

The Madhatter

damncranky

allgosvo

Zukiholic

Since we're revealing our starting kits... I'm going to use the 66 Chevelle Station Wagon. My other $5 Big Lots kit (Not the Shag'n Wag'n, a fresh kit). Lots of space for armor and weapons!!!