Model Cars Magazine Forum

My personal feelings about Issue #158's contents....

I think if one's opinion is voiced with respect then the replies can be made with respect. After all, we're only talking about models here...a hobby, not a cure for cancer or the solution to world peace right?! :lol:

Why would the solution to world peace start a fight?

I think if one's opinion is voiced with respect then the replies can be made with respect.

I find it ironic that my reply involved police cars as reference, because until Danno mentioned your police service, I had totally forgot! :lol:;)

Well my feelings about any magazine is voting with my wallet. I don't subscribe unless I save a lot of money, by buying off the newsstand I can decide what I want. If an issue of a magazine doesn't have enough content to justify buying it I don't. If enough people do that then the magazines will know what sells and what doesn't. I have seen other magazines do a lot of diecast and have to back off the subject. My problem with diecast is that because of the process the parts aren't in scale such as the gaps around the doors when they open. Also in most cases the cost is such that I really wouldn't want to cut it up. My preference is to build a plastic kit.

bobthehobbyguy

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

I find it ironic that my reply involved police cars as reference, because until Danno mentioned your police service, I had totally forgot! ;);)

You know...I've been retired now for as long as some guys 3/4 of the way through their careers! 15 years now since I had the uniform on and I feel like I could walk right back in and pick up where I left off! Well maybe with an update on the new in-car computers... :lol:

In my seldom shared opinion;

I don't subscribe to MCM, but I buy most issues that I run across at the local hobby shop.

I buy it to see what kits are available.

to see the cool ideas other come up with for painting, scratch building, designing, etc

to see if any other my models made the contest coverage (vanity press)

and to learn new techniques

Any magazine I come across that shares some of Chuck Doans knowledge (and a few others) mandates an instant purchase. Doesn't matter if it's cars or bikes or tractors. The techniques transend these things. Car modeling has yet to embrace some of the techniques that are standard procedure in other forms of modeling. We see a spattering of weathered car models, but the techniques are bound to increase and become more mainstream as time goes on. Articles like Chuck's tractor are just what we need to advance the hobby.

x 2 on that sentiment, and a few other things ...

You and Jairus are quite wrong on this particular point...the magazines that are dedicated to just airplanes are doing quite well. And I much prefer them to Finescale when it comes to airplane modeling. They don't get cluttered up with articles on tanks or cars or anything else. As a result, the magazines garner a lot of respect and have the best articles!

You're not wrong...or right...on your other points because as Harry said...they are opinions and you surely do have your right to them...and I respect that. :lol:

Just to sort of echo what Chuck said...

IMO the thing that makes MCM unique and different is the fact that we cast a slightly wider net... we run the occasional article featuring a... GASP!... diecast! :lol:

Now while I fully agree that a tractor is not a car. I would also say that the techniques Chuck detailed in his article can be used on any model, including, of course, a model car. And the engine detailing and weathering he showed us applies directly to a model car engine. The reason we ran that feature is because it has so much good information on weathering and detailing. Not many modelers do it better than Chuck Doan, and the information in that article, while it does show a tractor, is worth its weight in gold to any car modeler. The feature was more about weathering than about the fact that the model was a diecast.

We don't run "non-car" features very often, but when we find one that has a ton of good information that can be applied to your model cars, we'll run it. But don't worry, it's still Model CARS Magazine, and 99% of the features will be cars! :lol:

A ton of good information that can be applied to model cars, you mean like the "Shopping Cart" article?

All this talk about diecasts not being model cars and such confuses me, I'm rebuilding a diecast (well, actually rebuilding it with parts from another :lol: ) and am doing some of the same things as I would on an all-plastic kit (minus body alterations of course). Yes they do come pre-built and pre-painted, but who says you can't build them your own way? :lol:

A buddy of mine once tried to convine me that disassembling a diecast and rebuilding it 'didn't count'. I hit him with this- "By your logic, your '28 Model A isn't a hot rod. You started with a worn out old factory Ford car and rebuilt it into a hot rod. Why does it differ from doing the same thing in small scale?" IT DOESN'T!!! Disassembling a small scale, factory assembled car and rebuilding it your way is the same thing as doing it 1:1. I seriously don't believe it's any different. I think Terry's beef was with the subject in this particular case was a tractor, not a CAR. :lol:

And no, Ken never tried THAT arguement on me again! :lol:

Harry...you are of course correct. A diecast is a model but not the traditional kind. I should have been more specific. What I mean when I say model is a kit that comes out of a box that we have to build. And yes, I know that there are some kits that are made of metal. Those would be okay if you had to actually build and paint them. B)

I would agree that if MCM were doing articles like SA did a while back where the would do feature articles on the latest danbury mint model, But MCM is showing us how to take a humble Diecast and make it into a true scale replica. That is modeling to me. But the Title "Model Cars" doesn't just imply "Model Cars You Build" I enjoy the diecast reveiws in the back of the magazine as I also collect and build 1/43 scale stuff, and there is some really neat stuff available in that scale that we will most likely never see in a 1/25 plastic kit.

EYEGORE loves this thread. EYEGORE loves articulate, well-behaved conversation!

Doctor Cranky, on the other hand, likes to rile things up. B)

I thought EYEGORE was from a kit. Now you're inferring he's a well behaved die-cast? There IS a difference, you know.... B)

I personally enjoy all different articles in MCM. It's neat so see what other people are doing with diecast or out of the norm modeling choices. If we all built the same stuff this hobby would be pretty boring and it would make for a pretty boring magazine.

YEA, OUT HERE IN HORSE COUNTRY, HIGHLAND, MI( A FAR AWAY SUBURB OF DETROIT)WE DRIVE OUR TRACTORS TO THE COUNTRY STORE. SORT OF LIKE GREEN ACRES GEORGE53!!( GREEN ACRES THE 1960'S T.V. SHOW FOR THOSE YOUNGER FOLKS!)

Edited by paul alflen

Everyone has a different way of participating in the hobby. To me the phrase "model cars" covers a whole lot more than only 1/25 scale, injection-molded unassembled styrene kits. That's just one very small slice of the pie, which includes resin and cast metal kits, diecast models–both pre-assembled and in kit form, all the other scales besides 1/24-1/25, promos, and on and on.

If a person wants to limit themselves to only one particular type of model car, or build only in one particular scale, or build only one particular type or style of car, that perfectly fine, of course... everyone takes part in this hobby the way that they want to, there are no rules... but a magazine called "Model Cars," IMO, should be covering a much more diverse range. We try to include a little something in every issue so that, no matter what your personal definition of what is or isn't a "model car" may be, you'll find something that interests you. That's the intent, at least.

Where I live riding lawn mowers ARE cars . . . people who lose their liscense ;):unsure::blink: ride them over to the liquor store!

I used to see a guy in Hamilton, MT, ride his cart (on the side of Highway 93) pulled by an ox to the bar. So, an oxcart could be in MCM. Hmm...that's a good idea...

Everyone has a different way of participating in the hobby.

...and this is also a good way of increasing general interest in model cars. Someone might not build plastic models but might collect diecasts. That person could pick up a copy of MCM, read the other articles, thus becoming interested in expanding their scope of involvement in the model car hobby.

I know I have a couple airplane models after looking at Finescale and other ariplane builds - even though my main interest is still unassembled, styrene model kits of wheeled transportation vehicles.