Model Cars Magazine Forum

2nd WIP - 71 Daytona - Completed

dougp

This is my 2nd WIP behind the Topkick I started in Pickups, Vans, SUVs and Light Commercial. It is actually further along than the Topkick, but decided to post it too. I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures, so bare with me.

DSCN1407.jpg

The build is 71 Daytona based on the AMT 71 Dodge Charger R/T kit. Parts are supplied from the AMT 69 Daytona, Revell 70 Superbird and 71 Plymouth GTX. The nose and side filler panels came from the 69 Daytona and actually fit easier than I expected. I straightened the front edge of the fenders and hood to line up and attach the nose cone. The wing was from the 70 Superbird and the top of the rear fenders and mounting points had to be reworked for a cleaner fit. The rear bumper was dechromed and the badges removed. I plan to use the 5 spoke oem wheels with a set of Fireball Modelworks Goodyear Eagle GT's.

Here is what I have so far:

DSCN1403.jpg

DSCN1402.jpg

Engine is based on a Mopar Performance equipped 440 6pack pictures found on the web. I made custom decals to duplicate the finned Mopar Performance valve covers. The shorty headers were scratch built. The finned transmission pan and pulleys are works in progress.

DSCN1408.jpg

Enjoy, comments, suggestions and ideas welcome.

Edited by dougp

Awesome man!!!!

It looks like one of Gary Beinke's 1:1 concepts that he's built.

He has done a whole slew of 71 Dodge and Plymouth Daytona's and Superbird's using the factory's actual design concepts.

Great subject!

Will be watchin this one for sure.

Corey

Edited by dimebolt

Nice subject, looking forward to seeing how this comes out. I built the 71 superbird from the old MPC body and the AMT 71 Charger chassis and engine. Cutting out the inner fenders from the Charger allowed me to fully detail the engine on the kit bash. I don't remember where I got the 5 slots from.

post-10507-0-66951700-1350960938_thumb.j

Thanks for all the suggestion and comments. I've been busy on the Topkick and didn't realize the response I was getting here, so I'll be a little more diligent.

Are you going to add any fender top scoops or A- pillar covers ?

I don't think I'm going to use the fender scoops Pat. The body is so long and clean I'm afraid they'll disrupt the flow.

Hey Doug,

I'm posting all the 71 g-series cars I have pics of in reference. If you don't already have em, there's some great stuff there.

Corey

Thanks Corey, I'll check them out, every little bit helps. I have a bunch of the Dayclonas and the green 71 Charger SRT8 that are on the web. Both are supplying my inspiration on this build.

Might I suggest a paint scheme? :D

Great pic Jacen, I'm a big Nascar fan but not on this build. The color I've selected is Duplicolor GM Autumn Maple Met. Haven't decided on the interior color(s) yet.

very cool!

where did the mopar performance valve covers come from?

cheers

bryan

I used a pic for the mopar performance catalog to make decals. I painted the valve covers flat black and sanded the top service so the gray plastic would show through the lettering and fins of the decals. I used some chrome parts box breather caps to top them off.

DSCN1368.jpg

For the mopar performance finned tranmission pan I used strip styrene to create the fins and dry bushed silver over the top of the ribs. I used another decal for the mopar perf. logo. I'll be posting pics of the basic engine/trans assembly in the next couple of days. Waiting on parts to finish it. Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow.

Update 10/29/12

The engine is complete. The air cleaner is drying, It was painted hemi orange and still needs to be cleared and buffed. Also noticed I forgot the dipstick, so I'll have to add it too.

The trans pan turned out better than I expected. Block is gloss black, heads gloss aluminum, water pump and oil pan sliver, headers are magnesium and the carbs are a combination of silver, brass and gold with a black wash. Distributor by SMBC.

1426.jpg

1430.jpg

1429.jpg

1431.jpg

This week I plan to get the chassis started and the ride height set. If the weather ever clears up I hope to do the final prime and prep on the body.

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 11/8/12

I've been busy on the Topkick wip, but managed to get some work done here. I found some 1:1 tubular frame connectors for Mopars on the web, so I fabbed some up for the Daytona. I started with strip and rod styrene. Pieces were cut and assembled.

DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1436.jpg

Once assembled they were painted Hemi Orange and mocked up on the frame.

DSCN1460.jpg

DSCN1461.jpg

I'm thinking about using the mufflers and exhaust tips from a 70 Challenger TA. Let me know what you think.

DSCN1463.jpg

And finally the bumper and rear valance were attached and the first primer coat was applied and sanded.

DSCN1456.jpg

Great work so far Doug, I did one of these years ago. I gave up on the wing being on the quarters and moved it to the trunk, I also shortened it so it was about the height of the roof, to me it just looked better that way. I love the engine work so far too, those valve covers and tranny pan look great!

Edited by Custom Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

If you ever decide to make and sell those valve covers, PLEASE let me know!!!

If you pm your email I will send you the word file for printing the decals. You just get a set of valve covers and sand them smooth, paint, sand color off the tops and add decals and clear coat. The breathers/filler caps will be your choice.

Great work so far Doug, I did one of these years ago. I gave up on the wing being on the fenders and moved it to the trunk, I also shortened it so it was about the height of the roof, to me it just looked better that way. I love the engine work so far too, those valve covers and tranny pan look great!

Mounting the wing worked out pretty well. I flattened the fender ridges until they matched up with the wing struts. I not happy with the height and haven't decided how i'm going to modify it.

Update 12/10/12

Well it has been a while since I’ve updated the Daytona. I’ve been busy on the Topkick WIP, but decided to give it a rest to work on the Daytona. I like doing modern upgrades to older cars and wanted to do something different on the Daytona. I built a modern 440 for it so it needed a modern suspension. After a couple hours of research on the web I found the Alterkation suspension upgrades for Mopars. It was a challenge working with such small pieces but after several attempts I think I finally got something close.

The 1:1

LvlIIRearDtl02a.jpg

The kit differential appeared wimpy so I swapped it out for one in the parts box. Haven’t decided whether to fin the cover or try and reinforce like the one in the 1:1. The Daytona's new rear suspension.

DSCN1569.jpg

I used styrene channel and strip to make the trailing arms, axle, coilover and panhard bar mounts. Rod and tube styrene was used for the coilover shocks, different bolt attachments (to be shortened later) and panhard bar.

DSCN1572.jpg

The shocks will be painted silver and red clear then wrapped with red wire.

DSCN1529.jpg

Still need to add the stabilizer bar, add a reinforcement cross member for the coilovers and clean up and shape/shorten the parts. Next I am going to attempt replicating Alterkation’s K frame coil over replacement for the front suspension. I've been a little hesitant about cutting out the K frame but I’ll never get it done unless I try. Anyone got an AMT 71 Charger in case I screw it up :unsure:

Thanks for looking...