Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine Data Base

Otherwise, this list would probably be most useful if confined to some parameters such as Street Rodding or Hot Rodding.... or ?

Maybe :)

I figured the list would help those who may not know which engine came with what car/truck etc, regardless of US, or Japanese, or Euro, or ?

If a builder has a desire for something different like Pratt & Whitney turbine to stick in the back of a Vdub :shock:, then check the list and see what kit to get.

It would get more complicated and time consuming to try and make the list cover everything, although it would be great. If it's easy to do, it will get done, but if it's hard to do, then....

Hey James W, waddyer think, you started us off. Is this going the way you thought?

:)

I don't think that "foreign" (since SlotBaker isn't from the US, that sorta makes the term less than meaningful) is an all bad concept. For example, there's a recently-built Vee-Bucket that's pretty kool, and at one time (70s, 80s), 4-cylinder street rods gained some popularity. I know for a fact that non-traditional motors are VERY common on the salt flats. Someone wishing to build a replica of one of the smaller displacement roadsters might find what they need in such a list.

With tuners becoming more and more popular, something like a (please forgive me here, but I'm totally out of my league when it comes to what's hot and what's not as far as fwd cars are concerned) Civic with a Taurus SHO motor might be conceivable. Might not be easy to do in 1:1, but in 1:24? Could be.

And to continue the international flavor, the tastes of modelers in Europe, Australia and NZed may be a bit different than mine. I like rat rods and muscle cars. But then I've never built in hot rod outside of the US.

I can split the lists into US, Non-US and Heavy Truck versions and see what people think. I don't spose it'd hurt anything.

• 4 months later...

hey, this is a great idea! ive been wanting something like this for a long time!

btw, i have a couple o things that might suit well on your list aswell only 2 but still...

AMT -71 Dodge Charger kit contains a Hemi, what kind they dont say...

and this is probably irrelevant but in the AMT -58 Impala, the set includes some custom engine parts including edelbrock´s

thank you for your great mind!

• 3 weeks later...

As long as you are doing this, I think it would be helpful to list the scale a particular engine is rendered in as well. Sometimes the differences are negligible, other times however, one might be very disappointed by the results of trying to use a 1/24 motor in a 1/25 engine compartment and vice versa. To illustrate this point, take a look at the Monogram 340 from the 1970 Challenger, 1/24, next to the AMT 340 from the 1971 Duster, 1/25, sometime.

I mainly focus on truck engines. Any engine can be put into any truck.

Some older trucks have engines that wern't offered when they were first built.

I have been in an old International ACCO repowered with a Scania straight six engine connected to an Alison Automatic gear box.

The above combination worked better than the original setup.

Cheers

John Wilson

again; i work mostly with AMT stuff but in the old days the kit box or the instructions called out what the extra engine was and what the brand name was for most of the PROTOTYPICAL speed equipment. my emphasis because some kits had "engineered" speed equipment that never saw metal. i save old instruction sheets/books for this reason; not one new kit has decent instructions in it. the spreadsheets would be great if you also gave a level of accuracy or interchangeability but i wouldn't know where to begin with that, so don't consider it a challenge!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 years later...