Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

:lol: I got mine ;) Phantom Mustang Ranchero. Yesterday and by 10:00 lastnight I had '68 Mustang GT in hand and I've spent the WHOLE day cutting it and a '64 Falcon Ranchero up for parts. Shaving, fileing, filling, puttying, cussing, and hehehe!!! this is a GREAT way to build... Should I do this... check pic... nope! Just follow the picture DUMMY! Just find the parts ya need and follow the pic!! :D Love it.

Thanks again, Dave, Jairus. This is awsome. :lol:

If Dave used all the images in this build off there are still 6 more; another '29 Phaeton, two '29 roadsters, a '32 five window coupe and two '25 T's!

I must have been on a '29 kick when I selected the drawings for the Challenge. As I didn't pick either the '32 5 Window Coupe or the '25 T's. The other '29 is still in play as we haven't gotten down to where it is in the stack. But this is what it looks like:

Pappys29-vi.jpg

There are a couple of '32s still in the stack but I believe they are from an earlier series, as one is labeled 1932 Calendar Roadster and the other one is the Boattailed '32.

boattailed32-vi.jpg

1932calendarRoadster-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I must have been on a '29 kick when I selected the drawings for the Challenge. As I didn't pick either the '32 5 Window Coupe or the '25 T's. The other '29 is still in play as we haven't gotten down to where it is in the stack. But this is what it looks like:

Pappys29-vi.jpg

There are a couple of '32s still in the stack but I believe they are from an earlier series, as one is labeled 1932 Calendar Roadster and the other one is the Boattailed '32.

boattailed32-vi.jpg

1932calendarRoadster-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hey Fletch, can there be multiple entries of the same car? because I have a 30 touring, and I really like the 29 touring on page 1. If there is another touring of that year let me know....

Dave,

So this one is not in your stack then?

29phae72dpi-vi.jpg

:lol:

No Sir, it is not, it was one that I didn't have in my collection or was on your webpage. But, that doesn't mean it can't be added. We're getting c;oser to the end of the stack everyday. I have no problem expanding the Challenge to include additional subject matter.

Ahhhhh , I am touched! Though some would say not in the good way... :blink:

Thank you but I'm just a poor slob trying to make his way in this world like everyone else. Not to mention finding the time to build!

I have managed to gather all the bits and actually got a mockup going. I don't like the front tires, thinking they are too small for the illustration. But... rake and stance being everything to me will prob. keep! Getting close to time to start my own thread. :blink:

I suggest we all start our own threads and use some sort of acronym to identify the challenge entries. I suggest the type of car followed by TJWAC. Like "1929 Roadster - TJWAC"... or some such so that those who are interested can find the thread(s) and compare the progress? Suggestions?

P1010141-vi.jpg

Now... where did that Caddy fan belt go? :blink:

nice start there jairus

somehow i feel you have an unfair advantage since you know what the artwork actually depicted and know all the intimate details of it

lol, just kidding man

looking good

as for starting your own thread, i would just keep them all in one post

not only does it keep everything easier to follow, it also keeps the thread on the top of the forum because of the updates B)

jairus...i drew the 48 ford woody...i know its not important cause u cant see it but i would like to know if the engine is a flathead or small block....thanks,,,neal

013.jpg

Neal, there should have been a second attachment to the email that was sent to you. The Challenge introduction letter that everyone got has the '48 Woody 'Driftwood' at the top. The actual artwork that is in the envelope is the '41 Chevy Pickup the is shown below.

41ChevyPickup-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Both are good ideas. Dave, this is your horse to run, what do you think?

Drew :mellow:

I think Jairus' idea is pretty sound. On other forums that have a 'Community Build' section the members that are involved in the CBP post quick updates of their builds there, then post their in depth updates in separate threads in the 'On the Bench' section.

So if you all don't mind let's go ahead and start separate threads for the actual build-ups and use this thread for general conversation about the Challenge and quick updates. The idea of using the initials of JWAC or TJWAC are very valid and will make it easier to identify the threads that pertain to the Challenge.

For those who are interested in the Challenge keep in mind that this is still in effect a blind draw as to which drawing you will end up with. In stead of each of you being able to grab an envelope out of the stack, I'm doing it for you. That being said there are no guarantees regarding what piece of Jairus' Artwork you might end up with. It may be something right up your alley or it may be something that causes you to stretch your boundaries as a model builder. Also, if you would like to participate, please be so kind as to either email me or send me a PM. Just working through the PMs and emails of the past week I have not gotten any building done at all. I don't mean to be difficult but if you want to participate please make the effort to contact me do not expect me to make that effort for you. I don't mean to be the north end of a south bound horse but help me out here guys.

When you get the return email, there will be 2 attachments one will be a MS word Document which is the introduction letter to the Challenge. The Introduction letter is titled 'The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge - participant' There will be a second attachment that will be a .jpg file that will have the title of the piece of Jairus' artwork that is in the envelope that was drawn for you.

Thanks

Fletch

I'm having technical difficulties getting an email or PM to you, Fletch - in your profile, email shows private, MSN I've tried, and got an error...I click on the names beside MSN & Yahoo and get an error message...I'm making an effort...even left a note on your profile here...I'm out of ideas...others obviously can get through to you, but I'm not making the connection! :mellow:

I'm having technical difficulties getting an email or PM to you, Fletch - in your profile, email shows private, MSN I've tried, and got an error...I click on the names beside MSN & Yahoo and get an error message...I'm making an effort...even left a note on your profile here...I'm out of ideas...others obviously can get through to you, but I'm not making the connection! :mellow:

Tony, I will send you a PM via MCM forum of the car once Dave tells me what it is. I have 99% of the art here in my computer or in the drawer. Easy to scan and put them on my Fotki and post you a PM of the image. That work?

What would have or could have been the motor in this purple ford I have here? I was thinking hemi, but maybe you can help Jairus? Jody

Jody, the engine in the '53 Ford is whatever you want it to be! Hemi, Slant 6, Pinto 4 or 350 crate motor or flathead. The look here is what you are trying to attain. That would be the paint, detailing, wheel covers, stance, top chop (If that applies) are all the little details your build will be judged upon. That car could even be a curbside if you so choose, however if I had to say what was in Neil's pickup it would be a duel or triple carb straight six with a split exhaust manifold and duel exhaust. Speed parts can found in Galaxie's fine Chevrolet kits. :-)

In the 53 Ford lowrider.... a 1959 300 hp Thurderbird 352 Special V8 with three deuce carbs!

Jairus

Edited by Jairus

Tony, found your message, for some odd reason the PM function does not work when trying to contact you. Anyway, you should have the Intro letter and drawing in your email inbox.

Fletch